Don’t Plan Your Life Away
Sadhguru answers a question on the importance of planning, and the importance of knowing to what extent to plan.

Questioner: I am planning my life and I get so lost in my plans but things are still not happening the way I want them to. What do I do?

Sadhguru: A plan is something that is in your mind. But you can only work with what is in your hands. How much time you dedicate to planning and how much time for work is something each individual has to decide depending upon the nature of his life. If you are part of the planning commission, you are only planning – that’s your job. Executing it is someone else’s job. Whatever the nature of your work, the nature of life is such that you can only eat now, you can only breathe now, you can only live now. Planning too, you can only do now. You can plan about tomorrow but you cannot plan tomorrow.

Should Life Go According To A Plan?

A plan is just an idea, and all our plans come from what we already know. Our plan is an improved version of the past. A plan is like us taking a piece of the past and applying make-up on it. This is a very poor way to live. Yes, we need to have a plan, but if your life goes according to your plan, it means you have lived a very poor life. Your life should happen in a way that you could not imagine.

...always dream that your life will happen way beyond your plan, your imagination, and all your expectations.

The possibility of life is so vast that no one can ever plan to that extent. Keep a plan as a fallback, but let life happen. Explore the possibilities of life as it is now. You never know what will open up. Something that has never happened till now to any human being may happen to you. But if your life goes according to your plan, only the same nonsense that has happened in this world till now will happen to you. Nothing new will ever happen to you because a plan comes from what you already know, from the information and experience of the past.

You must know to what extent to plan. If you don’t have a plan at all, you may not know what to do tomorrow. It is a certain balance and wisdom about life as to what to plan and what to live by abandon. For most people their plan is not coming from some great vision. Their plan is essentially coming out of your fear of not being able to face the unexpected. The only misery that human beings have is that their life is not happening the way they think it should happen. In the morning, you wanted your coffee but the coffee didn’t happen, so you are miserable. But a glorious sunrise is happening, and you are missing it. Just that one stupid plan that you have is not happening, but something much bigger is happening.

You can plan about tomorrow but you cannot plan tomorrow.

In this cosmic scape and in the dance of life that is happening around you, your plan is such a small thing. Don’t give so much importance to your plan. Yes, you need a plan to know what to do tomorrow morning but don’t ever expect your life to go by the plan. Above all, always dream that your life will happen way beyond your plan, your imagination, and all your expectations.

Editor’s Note: Get the latest updates from the Isha Blog. Twitter, facebook, rss or browser extensions, take your pick.

Plans are good; But mission are better. Mission survive even when the plans fails (sometimes it does).
Having a mission (Purpose beyond oneself) is essential. Missions are the harbour. Plans are just a vehicle in the route. Missions are the end. Plans are one of the means to achieve the end.
What say?

NOW is the new WOW!!!

So true. If my life had gone per my plan, I would have missed joining Isha and totally missed the opportunity of being with my guru Sadhguru in this lifetime. Thank you Sadhguru for your wonderful guidance as always.

Whenever i feel sad or empty, i happen to read his message and start smiling again.

Yes, Life may have a bigger plan for us why should we constrict?

how true, grateful for the message. pranams sadhguru

Beutifully said Sadguru....!

So true...the idea of letting life happen is exciting.

whenever i have a question in mind, sadhguru comes in front of me , it could be a blog, video, note , discourse ......and it just solves it! thanks Sadhguru! :)

thanks sadhguru!

well i have come to realize now that my plans for the life don't work. though these may work for the routine day to day things I feel some one else some one far more superior to me in every respect has laid out his plans for me . but what i fail to understand is that why are his plans sometimes heartbreaking or filling our minds with such fear about the future happenings..Is not that supreme authority benevolent & magnanimous to stop us from straying & forgive us

This is probably one of the greatest and most useful messages Sadhguru had given to us, common people. Many things won't happen as we planned how hard we may try and plan. And many things to happen, the right time has to come. Sadhguru's message is invaluable for all humanity.

I am so happy to hear you say that about planning everything in one's life! I am a person who takes life as it comes, one day at a time, and a 'Last minute person'! What you said makes me feel so much better because everyone around me plans things so much ahead! Thank you!

Planning endlessly
Worrying needlessly
Life goes marching by
And helplessly we stand aside

Glorious one is speaking...

There always has to be a balance in terms of some amount of planning atleast.
Too much of planning is not good and at the same time no planning is also not good.

That's the way life is that you should always try to strike a balance ......

Thank you Sadhguru, u become a part of my life, my body & my breath, daily myself paying guruthatchani to you as u expected. thank u our dear sadhguru

Thank you Sadhguru........Last almost a year......I am living without any plans whether career, future, family...everything.....just living each single day as if it were my last..............amazingly every aspect of life is going so smoothly and gracefully which i couldnt even imagine my puny intellect could have achieved. IT has opened such an amazing vast treasure and divinity of existence.....I am glad I let go and allowed the existence to take charge completely.................Now whatever happens.....I dont mind as nothing affects anymore.........everythig is divine. Love You Sadhguru

Mission is better than plan.
Mission drives the life when some time (or most of the time) plan fails.
Mission to live up to the potential unearthed.

Satguru,

Namaskaram,
Thanks this message is true at least in my case. I enjoy all your briefings, but this takes the cake. I know I should only plan for tomorrow. Its wonderful. I think, with contemporary geopolitical and social environments, This teaching is appropriate and must be followed.