Mahalaya Amavasya is a special day dedicated to making an offering to express our gratitude to all the previous generations of people who have contributed to our life.
The Significance of Mahalaya Amavasya
Sadhguru: Without the generations that came before us, firstly we would not exist here; secondly, without their contribution we would not have all the things that we have today. Mahalaya Amavasya is a day when we express our gratitude to all of them. It is done as a ritual to pay homage to one’s dead parents, but is actually an expression of gratitude for all those generations of ancestors who lived before us.
Kalabhairava Shanti is a sacred ritual that can be performed after the death of a loved one, on any Amavasya night. A special annual Kalabhairava Shanti is conducted on Mahalaya Amavasya.
- Photograph of the deceased
- Name of the deceased
- Date of birth or exact year of birth and date of death or exact year of death OR Names of both mother and father of the deceased.
- An individual photo of the deceased is needed. A group photo cannot be used for the process. The photo should have been taken when the person was alive.
- In case of abortion after 48 days or a stillborn infant, a photo of the mother (preferably taken during pregnancy) should be used instead.
- It is advised that ladies who are pregnant or on their menstrual cycle should not come for the Kalabhairava Shanti process, as it is not conducive for their wellbeing.
- One can also register for the process for the next 10 years at once.
Registration can be done at all Tamil Nadu local centers.