Frustrated With Exam Blues? Read This!

Sadhguru answers a question from an engineering student frustrated with his exams: “Frustration, discouragement, and depression are a continuous process. Once you get frustrated, you will get discouraged. Once you get discouraged, you will get depressed… So how do you drop frustration? Don’t buy it! You don’t have to drop it because life – every life – is enthusiasm.”
Don’t Buy What The Devil Sells

Q: I have been trying to clear the engineering entrance exam but have already failed twice. I have become very frustrated and am unable to come out of it.

Sadhguru: Frustration, discouragement, and depression are a continuous process. Once you get frustrated, you will get discouraged. Once you get discouraged, you will get depressed. Let me tell you a story. The devil decided to go out of business, so he put all the instruments of his business on sale. There was anger, lust, greed, jealousy, passion for wealth, ego – he put up everything for sale, and people bought them all. But then somebody noticed that he still had something in his bag. So they asked him, “What is it that you have got?” The devil said, “These are my most effective tools. I am not putting these for sale, just in case I decide to get back into business. And above all, even if I put them on sale, they will be too expensive, as they are the best instruments of my work to somehow destroy life.” People asked, “Tell us what they are!” The devil said, “Discouragement and depression.”

Once there is no enthusiasm, once there is depression in you, there is no possibility of life. When you say “I am getting frustrated with something,” you are not far away from discouragement and depression – frustration is the first step.

So how do you drop frustration? Don’t buy it! You don’t have to drop it because life – every life – is enthusiasm. Just see, the very way an ant is moving about. If you try to stop him, does he ever get frustrated or discouraged? Till he falls dead he will make his effort. Look at the little plants. Even if you put one little plant on top of the roof and just give it a little mud and nothing else, it will put one root down twenty-five metres all the way to the ground. Do you think the plant ever gets frustrated? Life energy knows no frustration. It is a limited mind which knows frustration, because the limited mind works out of false expectations. When your expectations are not in line with life as such, when your expectations are fanciful psychology and not life phenomena, then when the expectation does not get fulfilled, the mind feels this is the end of the world.

When people fail their examination, many of them commit suicide, isn't it? Because they feel without this, it is the end of the world. All the people whom you worship – Rama, Krishna, Buddha, Jesus – they never passed any examination. Why do you worship them? To pass your examination, you are calling upon people who never cared to pass an examination. It doesn't make sense.

Only because you have frozen your intelligence, there is room for depression.

So not passing your examination doesn't mean anything. You want to pass because of a social requirement, that is different. But you getting frustrated is a purely psychological phenomenon, not a life phenomenon. When you are frustrated and the mind is saying “There is no good living, let me die,” just close your mouth, hold your nose for two minutes and see, the life within you says, “Let me live.”

Anything that you do against your own life is simple ignorance and stupidity. Only a fool works against his own life. But right now you have gotten yourself into a mental state where you are working against your own life. Frustration, discouragement and depression only mean that you are working against your own life. Only if you are being stupid will you ever get depressed. If you are intelligent how would you be depressed? Only because you have frozen your intelligence, there is room for depression. Otherwise there is no question of depression or frustration.

Editor’s Note: Sadhguru offers Isha Kriya, a free, online guided meditation that helps bring health and wellbeing. Daily practice of this simple yet effective 12-minute process can transform one's life. Children above the age of 12 can practice this kriya. It’s free. Sign up with your email id.

Check out the Upa-Yoga, a powerful practice which activates the physical, psychological and energy dimensions of a human being, allowing one to live a complete physical life.

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i came
to “return thhe favor”.I am trying to find things too enhance my website!I suppose its ok to usee some of your ideas!

Very Clean and Clear message. it totally other way around.

A wonderful post. Thanks!

awesome post!

It has given a new dimension for my thinking...Thanks Guruji!!!

Sadguru breaks all western mindset barrier and he is the only doorway to freedom. Human Being = Infinite Possibilities!!!

This was exactly what I needed right now in my life. :) Thanks so much Sadguruji.

A long winded story to refrain from telling him that Engineering need not be the life goal of this person and finally doesn't really tell the person what to do.
I hope this is a much more straight forward answer.
In general every one has an aptitude towards some skills which should serve the person well if pursued. The trouble we have is that we have a square hole (Engineering) and every one of what ever shape wants to fit into that one hole. This is a mistake perpetuated by Parents and well wishers that going after professions that tend to produce a lot of money should be the goal. In reality if you are good at something, you can find a way to make it work for you and the money will follow. So find out what you are good at and pursue it. Look around and see who are successful in life and what they do. You will find all kind of people who are not engineers and yet quite successful. That is the lesson from "3 Idiots" I most concurred with.

I found what i was looking for.

"There is no life’s calling, but life is calling – both from within and without. Only when you truly respond to the call of life will you know life in its entirety. If life is calling you, you must go towards it with utmost passion and involvement, not with hesitation and calculation. This is not about your ego wanting to do something different. It is about living to your full potential. " - Sadhguru. May every one realise even before they could think of devils workshop. Shambho please make it happen, I bow down

I like his positive attitude towards life, and I will also try to follow this in my life

Thank you Sadhguru for this lesson, it has meant alot... :)

this makes so much difference  everybody in this world is frustrated . even me toowe all need to look at what sadguru has said . jaggi you are beyond thoughts

Well I am 20 year old still in 12th frustrated depressed lost hope..ppl around me all the time say I have bad ? future....I also decided to give up on my education

yeah life force dont know to be dippressed this is our mind who is doing this. you are life force energy so always move on for evolution.

This is awesome... Un-common sense. Love it!

I actually got the answer of my frustration at work place that nothing is end of the world its like phonix bird who revives from ash. Just 2 minutes of reading enligted me.

This one just seemed like an apathetic dismissal of one's pain. Depressed people don't need logic, they need love and care. They too know that being depressed doesn't help, but knowing is not enough to overcome the pain. They need an empathetic ear which can listen to their problem, and a willing heart which can help them overcome their pain.

"Rama, Krishna, Buddha, Jesus – they never passed any examination. Why do you worship them? To pass your examination, you are calling upon people who never cared to pass an examination. It doesn’t make sense."   <-- haha this answers it all. will never forget