The Magic of Life

In this week’s Spot, Sadhguru writes about how to experience and know life through Pragna, the path of awareness or Samadhi, the path of abandon. “Are you a human being or are you a historian? Are you interested in recording life or experiencing and knowing life? If you want to know life, if you give yourself absolutely to at least one thing, you will know something of life. Otherwise you will only record life. All these recordings will keep replaying every moment of your life, telling you an old story which doesn’t matter anyway.”

There are two aspects to knowing life: pragna or samadhi. Pragna is the path of awareness. Samadhi is the path of abandon. If you walk through the rain with utmost awareness, you will know rain in a certain way. But if you walk through the rain with absolute abandon, you will know rain another way. If you walk through the rain in total abandon, you will know the whole of it, but you will miss the point of it because you don’t care a damn what the point of rain is.

‘What is the point of this life’ is only for someone who does not have the necessary abandon to walk through this life, enjoying everything that is happening to him. He is trying to decipher the meaning of life because the magic of life has not hit him. With awareness, you will know the meaning of life. With abandon, you will know the magic of life. Do these two things meet somewhere? Yes. If you go into any one of them absolutely, you will realize they are same. They are two doors to the same room, but they are two completely different kinds of doors. Right now, it is like, ‘If I am focused on something, I miss everything else. If I try to pay attention to everything else, I am not able to be focused on anything.’ Better to be focused on something. At least one thing will happen. Otherwise, nothing will be happening ­– life will pass off like a dream.

If you look back meticulously at what happened yesterday – I got up in the morning, this happened, that happened – you will see that with 99.9999 per cent of your experiences, we can easily confuse you whether it was real or it was a dream. It just takes a little bit of talking, because nothing profound has happened; only the five senses are recording. Recording of events is happening, but no experience is happening.

Are you a human being or are you a historian? Are you interested in recording life or experiencing and knowing life? If you want to know life, if you give yourself absolutely to at least one thing, you will know something of life. Otherwise you will only record life. This is why wherever you go today, even if you come to a sathsang, you will see someone pull out their camera. They want to record everything because the only way they can prove to themselves after a few years that they actually went to this place is by looking at the picture, nothing else is left. If you are blown away by an experience, do you want to take a picture?

I happened to be in Turkey. I was in a hot air balloon. There was another hot air balloon which was full of Japanese tourists and every one of them had a camera. One Japanese man was leaning out of the basket to take pictures of the balloon and he just fell from fifty feet.  I thought, ‘Okay, this experience he need not photograph.’  He broke his collarbone and one of his ankles. I am sure he did not need a picture; he will always remember the experience. I am saying just looking out, seeing something could be as big an experience as breaking a bone. But because nothing is an experience, you want to record everything.

Whether you do it with your camera or your eyes, this is what most people are doing – recording life. They are not experiencing life. At least if you are involved with one thing, there is a possibility that you will experience something, otherwise only recording is happening. The accumulated memory of recording is what we are referring to as karma. That means you will become a creature of the past. All these recordings will keep replaying every moment of your life, telling you an old story which doesn’t matter anyway.

I want you to look back and see ten days ago, what happened from the moment you got up till you went to bed, look at it and see. It is as good as somebody else’s story, isn’t it? Here and there, there may be moments of experience, the rest is all just a recorded story. Yoga means to transform this life into a living profound experience, not a mere recording.

Love & Grace

1 year 11 months ago

Lee and Larry liked thеir sixzth birthday
paгty. Alth᧐ugh they have been twins, Мommy aand Daddy at all times made sure thsy each had a special time.

And with their Ьirthdays coming in December, Mommy and Daddy akso always made certain their
birthddayѕ hadd beeen special despite the fact that Christmas
wass proper across the corner. The party was so fun with а clown and cake and songs and great ⲣresents from their pɑls and grandparеnts
and unclee and aunts. It glided by sso quick
hоwever earlier than they knew it, everybody had gone house aand
it was time to scruub up and prepaгe for bed.

It's ultimate

Great Master- Very True Sathguru in our experience. If I see what happened yesterday, it was just a series of happenings-as usual and is just a part of history. Slowly I feel I am getting some grasp on what experiencing life means. Pranams Sathguru.

What he is trying to say is that whatever past you have experienced, it is not a real experience. Rather its just a record. We are not knowing life to the fullest.

"Yoga means to transform this life into a living profound experience, not a mere recording."

As always you blow me away with the level of clarity you provide, Sadhguru. Eternally grateful to you.

Two option or doors leading to same experience. One just be aware of things going around, Just keep your awareness/be consious all the time OR Just don't bother for anything live in abandon, absolutely carefree. At least choose one option hundred percent and the respective door will open and take you home. Home means you are experiencing everything hundred percent. Otherwise anything short is only recording the events which is 99.9999 percent and nothing but memory or karma.

Turkey, hot air balloon, falling tourist, . . .
Wonder whether Turkey will fall into the European Union, Or stay in the Asian basket, . . .

This reminds me of a Krishnamurti talk I saw on a video tape many years ago:

In awareness or in abandon ness I am invariably seeking You all the time. You gave meaning to my life and You are the magic of my life that I'm still awestruck with! Pragna or Samadhi it's all You! Love You loads. B

If there are 2 ways what is the possibility of 3rd one coming... awareness to magic is like catching the trick of the magician, what happens then, you loose the interest in the magic? sadhguru help

Yes it is true Sadhguru. Most of us are caught up with "recording", the event rather than be a part of it even if it be a marriage or even a funeral. We see a beautiful butterfly or bird and at that very instant we reach for the mobile phone camera and miss the moment entirely.

Pacing endlessly in the corridors of time
Either in the imaginary future or in the dead past
Many a beautiful moment we have irrevocably lost
That was ever present and yet too fleeting to last.......

My humble Pranams Sadhguru

Namaskaram sadhguru,
We are empty pots filling up water, once the water fills and brims and overflows/ we feel filled up and enough, we will try to know the bliss of abandon, seeking all your blessings, kindness, guidance through the path. Pranams.

How do you get to know what I am thinking everytime???????Hmmm??? Just ensure you give me the courage and strength to stay clinging on to you all the time and nothing else...Nothing else is worth the trouble and circus anyway...LOL....yeah...records-karma...simply love you my Master!!!! Bless me to be with you now and always. nothing else is worth seeking..and you made an idiot like me smart enough to seek only the best (cant find an equivalent word to what I am experiencing...am an idiot after all) ...Namaskarams - every word I know falls short of what I feel towards you, profound, grateful, thanks, etc etc seem like words...they simply can never express what is flowing/pouring out of me towards you...it is not an experience that can be ever expressed, defined or narrated...just has to be experienced, that is all....Namaskarams

Yoga the Art & Dance into living in life.

Dear Sadhguru, I am more than truly blessed to be able to experience
your grace. How magnificent!! No words enough to express gratitude. Please
forgive me at times when I think foolishly due to ignorance. If I look at what
I was many months ago VS what I am today, what a world of difference! Hope I made you feel a little proud.
This profound experience fulfills every atom of me and
yes, it is not a memory but life flowing within me, dancing and
flying! This beauty of inclusiveness...as I feel we are all one energy, seeking
you and soaking in you. You are an ocean of compassion.Where can I go without your grace, will keep seeking you… very focused ... forever.

Pranams.

how in the world is this possible

Everytime i read one of your articles,I feel more down towards you,,We love you Sadhguru..

Dear ones, Can someone please explain again the meaning of Awareness(Pragna), Absolute Abandon (Samadhi) and Total Abandon.. unable to guage..

I didn't quite get it, should we do introspection/reflect of past 10 days or 1 day on a daily basis? or are those just memory of past that we don't care about, we can experience and relive the past memory, but rest are just records? Or, live in the present moment/now?

Propеrly, what does Ꮐod likᥱ?? Lee added. ?I mean, we like cookies and cartoons and toys,
but what kind of thbings are fun for Goⅾ?? It was а quеstiⲟn that for a minute
Mommy and Daddy needed to think about.

I cannot imagine life without you!