Why do we chant Brahmananda Swaroopa?
In this week’s Spot, Sadhguru answers the question why do we chant Brahmananda Swaroopa? “When we chant Brahmananda Swaroopa, we are saying everything is an image of the ecstasy of the Creator. The chant is significant not just for its meaning, but because it is a consecrated chant. So here in Isha, we have consecrated these sounds. And it is the simplest way for you to connect with what you refer to as Isha – you can use this as my ID.”

Following last week’s Spot, we received some questions from you about the meaning of the chant:

Brahmananda Swaroopa, Isha Jagadisha
Akhilananda Swaroopa, Isha Mahesha

Brahman means boundless or the ultimate reality. Ananda means the blissfulness or ecstasy of the Creator, and Swaroopa is the form or image of the ecstasy of the Creator.

Isha is that which rules and Jagadisha is the ruler of the existence. Akhila means everything, all inclusiveness is Akhila. And that which is everything, the image of that, is Mahesha. So the Creator is referred to in so many ways. When we chant Brahmananda Swaroopa, we are saying everything is an image of the ecstasy of the Creator.

The chant is significant not just for its meaning, but because it is a consecrated chant. So here in Isha, we have consecrated these sounds. And it is the simplest way for you to connect with what you refer to as Isha - you can use this as my ID.

When we consecrate a certain set of sounds, it is done with the intention that a large part of you will become absolute stillness, but you will retain the liveliness of life around you. And slowly, this becomes like a coating, like a shield around you. A cocoon of a certain energy. So Brahmananda Swaroopa can be used as a raiment that you wear; it is a clothing that you wear all the time. This chant is more like your clothing, this is not a seed. If you keep on chanting with sufficient involvement, it will be around you. If your life breath becomes this, people can feel it.

So if you chant it substantially enough, it will make a full raiment. If you are only the few-minutes kind, you will have a bikini.

Love & Grace

Similar experience - While I was travelling back to home city from hata yoga program, I chanted in train..Felt very heavy emotionally like crying after few mins chant. All train members are seeing me, still I could not control tears.
I felt something amazing is pressent in this chat.

Yes, Sadhguru, whenever I chant for longer than 10mts or so, I clearly feel a layer of very pleasant energy around me and also pleasantness within me. Your grace.. our fortune..

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can find the (written) words for this chant (Brahmananda Swaroopa)?
With warm thanks,
Rasili

Yes, Sadhguru, whenever I chant it for longer than 20mts or so, I feel a layer of very pleasant energy around me and also pleasantness within me. How compassionate you are to provide us with this simple chanting to get connected to you/Isha. Your grace is our fortune.

is there an audio file of this chant available for purchase and download?

I have a question.... I heard that this chanting has to be done when you sit in a comfortable place  alone. Can we chant this while driving, doing other chores?  .. because I had been warned not  to chant while driving. why?

swar and roop feel very different to one another.

ha ha ha ..that bikini...kind of joking stuff...you can find it only in sadhguru

same thing, i listen to this chant online many times in one day cuz Sadhguru's voice is so soothing ..t's so funny, wherever i go, I hear the sound in my head, so weird.

You can chant whenever and whatever you are doing.

hahaha... i loved the bikini part :)

[...] Isha Blog) /* /* Filed Under: Spirituality Tagged With: Brahmananda Swaroopa, Sadhguru About [...]

10 months 1 week ago

Great post Carey! As I am praying (that is all I am doing right now) about church planting it excites me to read your posts. I really believe the local church (no specific church, really) has complicated church at so many levels. Thank you for being authentic, real and a great teacher. Go get ’em! ? My wife and I would love to come and visit you church this year, especially since I have dual citizenship.

WOW! nice to know.
Pranams Sadhguru

can children chant this as well?

I live in cochin. On the eve of Mahashivarathri this year while on the way to my home in the evening to catch the live telecast , I was struck in the traffic. I chanted this mantra. OMG, Tears appeared in my eyes even before I could complete the first line.