Samadhi – The Ultimate Transcendence
Sadhguru speaks about samadhi as a state of consciousness, as well as a way to break through one’s individual existence.

Samadhi – The Ultimate Transcendence

Sadhguru: The word samadhi has been largely misunderstood. People think samadhi means some death-like situation. The word samadhi literally means sama and dhisama meaning equanimity and dhi meaning buddhi or the intellect. If you reach an equanimous state of intellect, it is known as samadhi.

The fundamental nature of the intellect is to discriminate – you are able to discriminate between a person and a tree only because your intellect is functioning. This discriminatory quality is very important for survival. If you want to break a stone, you have to discriminate between the stone and your finger. Otherwise you will break your finger. Discrimination is an instrument which supports and executes the instinct of survival present in every cell of the body.
If you transcend the intellect, you become equanimous. This does not mean you lose the ability to discriminate. If you lose the discriminatory intellect, you will become insane. In a samadhi state, your discriminatory intellect is perfectly in shape but at the same time you have transcended it. You are not making a distinction – you are simply here, seeing life in its true working. The moment you drop or transcend the intellect, discrimination cannot exist. Everything becomes one whole, which is the reality. A state like this gives you an experience of the oneness of the existence, the unification of everything that is.

In this state there is no time or space. Time and space is a creation of your mind. Once you transcend the mind as a limitation, time and space doesn’t exist for you. What is here is there, what is now is then. There is no past or future for you. Everything is here, in this moment.

The whole aspect of spirituality is to go beyond that discrimination and the survival instinct, which are meant only for the physicality of life. Samadhi is a state of equanimity where the intellect goes beyond its normal function of discrimination. This in turn, loosens one from his physical body. A space between what is you and your body is created.

Eight Kinds of Samadhis

Samadhis are of different varieties. When you are in the body, there are eight samadhis available to a human being. Of these eight, they have been broadly categorized as savikalpa: samadhis with attributes or qualities – samadhis that are very pleasant, blissful, and ecstatic; and nirvikalpa: samadhis that are beyond pleasant and unpleasant, they are without attributes or qualities.

Those who go into nirvikalpa samadhi states are always kept in protected states because their contact with the body becomes very minimal. The smallest disturbance, like a sound or a pinprick, would dislodge them from their body. These states are maintained for certain periods to establish the distinction between you and the body. It is a significant step in one’s spiritual evolution, but still not the Ultimate. The samadhis by themselves have no great significance in terms of realization.

Gautama the Buddha practiced and experienced all the eight kinds of samadhis before his enlightenment and discarded them.

Many of Gautama the Buddha’s disciples went into very long meditations. They did not come out for years. But Gautama himself never did so because he saw it is not necessary. He practiced and experienced all the eight kinds of samadhis before his enlightenment and discarded them. He said, “This is not it.” This is not going to take you any closer to realization. It is just moving into a higher level of experience and you might get more caught up because it is more beautiful than the current reality.

If the goal is set, if you have made realization the top priority in your life, then everything else which doesn’t take you one step closer is meaningless. Let us say you are climbing Mount Everest. You will not take one step sideways because every ounce of energy is needed. If you have to transcend your own consciousness, you need every ounce of what you have and even then it is not enough. So, any action that we perform, we don’t want it to be a “sidewinder.”

Mahasamadhi

As long as you are in the body, whatever liberation you attain, the body is a limitation. It is not complete liberation. When someone leaves their body in full awareness, then we call this Mahasamadhi because he or she has shed the body.

Mahasamadhi is a dimension where you transcend discrimination – not just experientially but also existentially. There is no such thing as you and the other. Right now, there is you and the other; it is a certain level of reality. In a samadhi state, you go beyond that discrimination and in your experience you are able to see the oneness of the existence.

Mahasamadhi means you not only see it that way, you have become that way totally – discrimination is finished. That means individual existence is finished. Who you are does not exist anymore. The life that is functioning as an individual life right now becomes absolutely universal or cosmic or boundless. To put it in traditional terms, you become one with God or one with everything.

When I say “one with God”, it does not mean going and joining someone somewhere. It is just that your individual bubble is over. To use an analogy, right now your existence is like a bubble. A bubble that is floating around is very real but if you burst it, where does the air inside the bubble go? It just becomes one with the atmosphere. It is completely dissolved. When we say “one with everything”, this is what it means. Nothing will be there. “You” will not be there. When we say mukti, it means you are free from existence. I am not talking about existence as a quantity which you are free from. You are free from your own existence – your existence is finished.

When we say mukti or nirvana or moksha, this is what it means – freedom from the very burden of existence. That’s ultimate freedom because as long as you exist, you are bound in one way or another. If you exist in a physical way, it is one kind of bondage. If you leave the physical body and exist in some other way, there is still another kind of bondage. Everything that exists is ruled by some law. Mukti means you have broken all laws and all laws can be broken only when you cease to exist.

Nirvana is a more appropriate word because nirvana means non-existence. When there is no existence, you are even free from freedom because freedom is also a certain bondage. So you are free from your very existence. All discrimination between what is you and what is not you is finished.

For someone to be able to do this – taking this life and throwing it out without injuring the body – it needs tremendous energy. Mahasamadhi is a state where one willfully drops the body. The cycle is over. There is no question of rebirth, it is complete dissolution. You can say this person is truly no more.

Life just shifts from one level to another. In reality, there is no such thing as death. Death exists only to one who has no awareness about life. There is only life, life and life alone. But Mahasamadhi means the real end. This is the goal of every spiritual seeker. Ultimately, he or she wants to go beyond existence.

Editor’s Note: “Mystic’s Musings” includes more of Sadhguru’s wisdom on life, death and the human mechanism. Read the free sample [pdf] or purchase the ebook.

The real reality can be achieved through Mahasamadhi, the current reality in which you are living right now is not the real reality..

i yearn for mukthi from the depth of my being.I ATTENDED SAHAJASTHITHI YOGA IN 2002. In the past 10 years i have received so much from Sadhguru. I HAVE AN IMMENSE DESIRE TO KNOW THAT A HUMANBEING OUGHT TO KNOW IN SPIRITUALITY.kINDLY GIVE ME THAT SADHGURU,BEFORE I LEAVE.
Please be with me always.What s it that Ithirst for?Idon't know.KINDLY help me,Sadhguru.

This needs clarification for the untrained mind. Ceasing to exist is not a very attractive concept. I wish the Guru would explain this better. Does he mean that consciousness continues while the personality ceases to exist? That is a more attractive concept. But to merely say at the ultimate stage that we cease to exist almost sounds nihilistic. Can someone explain?

Hope one day I will be able to reach this kind of devotion.  For now, l  am happy that I can understand what Sadguru is saying about devotion.  I remember reading about Mayamma by one of the disiples of Amma Madha Amruthanantha Mayi.  He has narrated an incident where Amma meets Mayamma (referred to as just a Yogi) at Kanyakumari.

For the explanation by Sadguru, I cannot thank him, because my feeling is beyond that.  How can you thank some one who can changed your life in just 5 days - even that without meeting you personally.

I strongly believe that I am connected with Sadguru always.  I cannot thank him, I cannot praise him, I cannot comment him.  To use his own words, I can only surrender and become one with him.  Hope that will happen one day.

For now,

Thank you Sadguru!!!!

As we are a part of God, separated with a layer of body will ultimately be mixed or absorbed into God via Mahasamadhi.
Here "end" means "end of sufferings" :)

Dear Sadhguru,
Kindly help me ,be in samadhi,even while in activity.Is that possible?During your "sadhguruvudan isha yoga"class in Chennai,I had been in my house ,being not in a position,even to come to the Ground,where the class was conducted.But in those 3 days Ihad been in a puppet-like state,just doing my work at home,but my being was in stillness-a state,I don't understand,but terribly long for.Iwant to know whether it had been a samadhi state.I had been like that on all the 3 days,when you were here.
I don't know,the something for which I HAVE AN UNQUENCHABLE THIRST.What is it that I LONG for?I KEEP requesting you to give me that which my being needsKindly help me Sadhguru.

But If i go into mahasamadhi i will not be able to serve the society. Don't you think i am being selfish by doing so? Becoz a true man is one who always ready to give. I am confused to take the mahasamadhi as a ultimate goal to one's life. This definitely need more elaboration.

I too want to go beyond this nonsense i am tied up in life!!

we have lots of information about after death and recycle to another body.
but there is not much information about what happens after MahaSamadhi.
Sadhguru said in one video that after MahaSamadhi its all over, the game is up.
does it mean there is nothing more and we litterally dont exist anymore (as in, loose consciousness forever)?
or am I wrong?
please would someone that knows about this share some info on the subject.

Guruji is a blessing for all beings .  I am grateful to be alive and breathing. I love Guruji and all beings.  Guruji guide me in all ways, Thank you,
Shiraz Fazal @yahoo.ca

I come from a spiritual tradition, where it is remarkable and beautiful to have excess to the state of (Maha)Samadhi. But then there is the turning point, after this peak. You know it, but then you are asked to "come back" in the world, because there is a purpose. With all your enligthment you are asked to go on in this world, with a special purpose. It's different and beautiful for every human being. So it is the turning point to fulfill God's purpose, as your own purpose, in creating a conscious life. I love that opportunity. When I am only "dead", there is no opportunity. So for me it is the highist way to become what you never are able to ascribe. <3

Why would anyone want mahasamadhi then? It seems like suicide

Sullivan, yes it is one of the Samadhi state. But at very basic level. With more dedicated practice you can experience other higher levels of Samadhi!

Dear Guruji, I am grateful for your presence, bless my life and guide me in all ways.
Shiraz.

I feel very deeply that there is a high purpose in life also. I come from a spiritual tradition where it is mostly honored to experience the state of samadhi or even Mahasamadhi, But it is recognized as one very important step to the One. As you have had this remarkable and beautiful experience, a kind of really high peak, you are called back to life, in the period of your existence on planet earth. Why we are here? Only to experience Maha samadhi? The absolute freedom of existence? For me that makes no sense. Sorry.! I feel that there is a deep purpose for everyone to be here with a special task. And with this experience of absolute untitiy and freedom to serve humanity anf Mother Earth., Love Savitri

Sadhguruji, Pranams.

You explained adequately so that any one can understand " Samadhi".Is their any elgibility criteria required to learn the sadhanas that will lead to samadhi.

When the student is ready teacher will appear! Good vibes to you :)

What happens to the survival instinct(with all its ramifications)when one is in Samadhi.Is one at the mercy of physical qualities?

If more and more human understood what it is like in state of samadhi, then Mahasamadhi would be a natural way forward. There are gurus who went into samadhi states with predefined specific periods.
We can server society with what we have. Hence we should first bring ourselves to higher state of realization and then the contribution will be immense. E.g. = If you have come in contact with Isha trained teacher they are continuously involved in spreading Yoga trainings all around the world continuously without break. Their schedule will look tortuous to people like us. But it is because of attaining certain mastery over their physical aspects(mind, body and emotions) they are able to contribute so much.

Pranams  sadhguru.You have given me so much...really!I cannot thank You enough for all the Energy support that You gave to make my Awareness blossom.Millions of pranams.
Dr.Jyothi

how to get into samadhi state.......and which samadhi lord shiva was following

Well technically you can call it samadhi state. Hence it is a blessing. But I am sure you know it for yourself that those 2 days gave you a break from usual. But it is an 'experience' just that. A beautiful one, but just another expereince like visiting niagra falls. Or jumping wiht a parachute :). Trust your inner knowingness and love for what is your real nature, and the inner you will guide you. You would just need to face your knowing , inner longing with courage and bravery, which am sure you will, since ultimately you TRULY have NOTHING TO LOSE!!! Lots of love.

Any one from ISHA teachers can explain this ?

Sadhguru...  i am fortunate to have you as my Guru.... You are Great!! None other than you can explain Samadhi Technically.... You know the art of breaking the logic with Logic...  Thanks a lot!!

9 months 3 weeks ago

BLIND EDUCATION.

Yes there is eligibility criteria, WILLINGNESS :D

Beautiful keep this longing and an open mind.. You will surely find a true Guru who can take you there.

Jai Bhairavi Devi ! We all love you, Thank You sooooo much for being with us all the time & taking such good care of us.

While doing Shoonya mediation we go into this unconcious state where we loose out body conciousness and we are not aware of any thing. Is this one of the Samadhi state that Sadhguru has mentioned above? Can any one clarify?

Why would I renounce life and cease to exist? Yes, life has lots of problems , but life is sweet and wonderful too. Why would I destroy my being and be nothing? that does not sound good or attractive at all. I want to live life and be happy and make people happy as much as I can. I do not find any reason to destroy my physical being and be no more. It is a very escapist approach to your existence.

Thank you Sadhguru for a wonderful explanations of Samadhi, Maha Samadhi. Mukti and Nirvana. We're all blessed to have a Guru like you in this century. In BSP program, you gave us a taste of oneness and longing to go there forever.
If this is suicidal so be it, nothing can be compared to the experience of oneness. Please bless us all!

I want to attain maha samadhi right now....can it happen. I am jealous of people saying about their own enlightenment . I also want to be enlightened every second passes like years to me.. if sadhguru can why cant i, if narendra can i can also. Please show me the path , i cant waste a single minute. My life seams like utter formality.

you can contribute only things you have gathered nd what you acquire in normal state is too silly you will spread only silly things like a rockstar , thats why world is a mess cuz too much nonsense is spread instead of digging deeper layers within nd then spread that fragrance

sadguru.....there is some thing strange happening with me...I found my eyesite has been improved to such a extent that my view area has been broaden and become like hd scene...I can hear my heart beat some times in the crowded place also...and when I am alone it keap changing the  rythem not in usual order...I feel my eye stoned for the whole day....I can catch the msg by there expression and many more things.....I must confess that I have taken dope (MR) several times  earlier but at even that time I wasnt able to these experiences...I am not able to make out the actual reason behind it ...is it due to MR or wat????

Namaskaram. Sadhguru could you please throw some light on difference mahasamadhi and jeevan mukthi

ultimate possibility is ceasing to exist when your perception is enhanced you will see it until then try seeking pleasure , fame, nd other finer things when you realize even that is not enough then comeback nd read this

Sadhguru......i too have learned little about Samadhi and Mahasamadhi from Guruji Poojya Rishi Prabhakarji's lessons and speeches undergone SSY, AMC, BST classes.  Now-a-days,  I am not practicing meditation, raw food, Sath Sangh or Pranayama.  After seeing you all great spiritual people, I feel shy and shame......why i was not practicing.  After reading 'Samadhi' how to go beyond, i have to follow and practice regularly and keep go on in spiritual path.  Thank you very much and let the almighty blesses you and your ISHA foundation...........long live