How long does it take to get enlightened?
Sadhguru answers a question on how long it takes to get enlightened and speaks about how it is not a question of time but a question of intensity.

Questioner: How long does it take to get enlightened?

Sadhguru: It is not really a question of time, it is really a question of when will you do it. ‘How long does it take?’ There is no such thing because you are here. If you want to realize yourself, should it take time? In reality it should not take time. But it takes time because you do not give in all at once; you give in by installments. So whether you want to go by small installments and take 100 lifetimes, or you want to do it today is your choice. How long it takes simply depends on how intense is your longing to know.

Everybody would like to know what is after death if they could get it on the Internet. If you can login and just find out, everybody would like to know, but how badly do you really want to know? If you can casually ask ‘What happens after death? What is the source of my creation,’ that means you do not know the immensity of the question. If you burn with this question, to such an extent that you cannot utter a word but you burn, then knowing is not far away.

Enlightenment happens quietly without any noise – no big firecrackers happening, very quietly from one dimension to another.

It is very simple. The reason why it is so far away is because the longing is still lukewarm. It is still not killing you. Still, it is on the side. If you want to know the truth like some entertainment, it will not happen. If you want it in such a way that that is all you want, then it is just a moment away, because what you want to know is within you. What is within you cannot be denied to you by anybody except yourself, isn’t it? So you just have to get yourself out of the way. Either you go in installments or you just go once.

Enlightenment need not always happen with a bang. It can happen quietly, it can be like a flower blossoming. The greatest things happening on the planet do not make any noise, isn’t it? Now a seed is becoming a plant, a plant is becoming a tree. It is not a small phenomenon, it is a tremendous phenomenon. Does it make any noise? The little achievements make a lot of noise. You know the cock gets up in the morning and makes a lot of noise. But the big things happening in existence do not make any noise. It is happening quietly isn’t it? So enlightenment also happens quietly without any noise – no big firecrackers happening, very quietly from one dimension to another. In the garden the flower quietly blooms but once it has bloomed you cannot ignore it; it is significant. The fragrance and the beauty of it is undeniably there.

So similarly enlightenment, blossoming from one dimension to another happens very quietly, but when it happens, the moment you notice it, it is a very big thing. You cannot ignore it.

Editor’s Note: Sadhguru explores the realm of the enlightened in the ebook, "Encounter the Enlightened."

I am sorry to not have understood u as a troll in the first place and wasted my time in replying to you. Thank you.

My Opinion is Only when Ur tired Of your Ignorance and limitations other doors open.

Unconditionally Love, and if you can't yet, then just Love as well as you possibly can. Love yourself, animals, trees, "strangers," those who have much more than you, those who have far less than you, your friends, and family. Speak only words of Love and live a present and mindful life, as if every action you make and word you speak would be what you were solely remembered for. When these things begin to flow naturally, you are getting close. Much Love to you all; You are all infinitely beautiful.

I have done few samyama's with this guy to understand that Sadguru is just crook and business guy,, I am sorry to see that you will get to know very late or even you may not know because your mind has a power to create the model that you expect - imaginary oneness with virtual reality.. :) All the best

The wisdom imparted in your teachings is invaluable
Pranam Sadhguru..!!

Jaii Gurudev!

Jaggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Stop being satisfied with anything less than the ultimate. Anytime you are happy with what you have, you have denied yourself with the possibility of going beyond, whether it is one god, one guru, one answer, or one life. Question everything, and don't be satisfied with answers, even your own answers. To make it clear, all this has to be inside you, silently. Outward, you can continue with your usual life..

soo close yet so far, why have I made myself this way.. Sadhguru is there a way for a person like me who is soo full and still call not stop trying to empty myself and in process I am filling myself even more - why this trick. You are my only possibility - your grace is always flowing and still I cannot swim but I can never give up. Give me a dead line to meet..

pranam

Many salutations to the beautiful master! Jai Gurudev!

I totally agree with you Shan. The mind has a power to create the model that one expects.

get rid of your ego;and all the things that support your ego

Darkness is omnipresent, light is just a small happening. I want Sadhguru to make me who I am to nothing. Only when you become completely nothing, you are everything because everything is made from no-thing... If this makes me stupid, I love to be stupid.

Dear sadguru,

If Karmas are burnt we leave the body in earth and go.  Are n't we leaving the body just like that to the earth(bury in soil) ?  But our body has 61% of water. some percentge of earth,.....

Is it n't  our responsibility to split 5 elements and leave the body?

thats a awesome question...but when earth is already doing it for free..why would u like to break your head on this when there is so much more to do

Sadhguru means dispeller of darkness. but you want complete darkness... :)

Dear Sadguru,                  It is very clear what we must do to attain enlightenment.But to  do it we are finding it difficult. Pranam.

It is not the memory which makes a person self-realised, it is lack of identification with the memory that makes someone self realised.

You are an enlightened being!, I wish I met you before sadhguru, btw sadhguru means guru with no bookish knowledge.

Wanna be part of Samayama Program on 23rd of Feb... Bless me shower Your grace upon me and somehow let me be with You for those 7Days... PLEASE I BEG OF YOU... Make it happen for me... Before that I have to attend Shoonya , Hatha Yoga and Pre Samayama Meet i dont know ho wit will happen But i just wanna be there.. I guess I have delayed already so much.. dont wanna waste the time anymore.. GRACE ME.. Sadhguruji

ok, which means all coma guys are self realized if I go by your theory.. What stupid statement it is!. Sadguru not dispelling your darkness but making you feel darkness is light... :)

i think you never noticed his sermons.. He and the so called tape recorder teachers will define as what i defined Guru means dispeller of darkness and then satguru means, they will get into wiki and do the copy paste.. Anyways all i am saying as enjoy with your virtual state.. As far as i understood there is no such enlightenment. You guys become a prey already for his lust of money..

very true sathguru, only the thing is, we should take it fully and follow all of our practice everyday with the realization. pranam.

Lack of identification and lost identity are 2 different things. If u get hit on the head and lose ur consciousness you are a dumb vegetable, but dissolving your identity into oneness and being aware is being realised

How many of your followers who have done shambhavi mudra have been enlightened ?

The word Thank you does not convey my full gratitude. I am short of words. All your words - teachings..sounds so familiar...it is there deep within me but yet when i want 'to be', they fail me miserably. Please just shake me upside down, take out all the crap from me, leave me empty.  let me start all over again. Hit me so hard that the 'I' goes off. What to do for this? I just surrender. Do what you want to do with this.

By taking responsibility to the split the elements you try to own the body. U r not the body, u r just the being. When your existence becomes obsolete there is nothing left for you to do but just leave in dissolution

People want "fireworks" for everything. The 4th of July. An overpriced marriage ceremony. Cake and presents on their bday. Halftime celebrations. In the end it all signifies nothing. It's just a way to waste time and neglect inner work. Of course that will anger your ego because it loves to have attention on itself. It also loves to become jealous when other people get all the attention. External "fireworks" are just a poor substitute for a lack of "internal" fireworks just like money, sex and drugs are poor substitutes for love. It never works but the ego never gives up in its futile efforts.

Sadhguru, what can I do to make the longing for enlightenment / to know so strong that I can't do anything else? At present, its not big enough to stop my usual life.

There is no concept of dissolving identity.. Oneness with what.. universe.. or nature ? When you are realizing oneness by dissolving your identity, if I come and hit you on head and you go to coma, are you still self realized. If that state is changing then it is not final. If you still stay with oneness, then Self realization is truth. True state or ultimate state should not change as per the definition boss..

Theres this Video On youtube titled as "how to know if you are enlightened" in that video the last words were enlightement Happens only once. Does that means who has been enlightened and lost it cannot be enlightened again?

What about a person who is self realised but met up with an accident and lost his memory... will he still be self realized?