Coping with Nasal Allergies - The Yogic Way
Sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma and similar chronic ailments are extremely common today. Here are a few tips that can bring some relief for those suffering from such conditions.

Coping with Nasal Allergies - The Yogic Way

An allergic reaction occurs when a person’s immune system reacts to an otherwise harmless substance in the environment. There are many types of allergies existent today, and some that cause the highest discomfort are related to the nose and eyes. Sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma and similar chronic ailments are extremely common, especially in industrialized urban environments.

People suffering from these conditions are found to have allergic inflammation and sensitivity throughout the nasal airways, due to contact with allergens such as dust or pollen. Allergic rhinitis alone affects 10% to 30% of adults and 40% of children worldwide. As anyone suffering from the symptoms of allergies – itchy eyes, running nose, phlegm, constant sneezing and breathing difficulties – would agree, this significantly impacts the quality of everyday life.

List

• Grind neem leaves to a paste, make a small-sized ball, dip it in honey and swallow it every morning on an empty stomach. Avoid eating anything for the next hour or so to let the neem pass through the system. This actually works on any kind of allergy – skin, food, anything. This practice can be continued for life, there is no harm in this. Neem has an extremely high medicinal value. Using tender neem leaves could reduce the bitterness, but otherwise any fresh and green leaf will do.
  • Crush about 10 to 12 pepper corns roughly and soak them in a couple of spoons of honey overnight (about 8 to 12 hours). In the morning you consume this and just chew upon the pepper. Mixing some turmeric with the honey should also work. If you avoid all dairy products, your phlegm will go down naturally.
  • Honey is extremely beneficial for asthmatics. It gives the necessary warmth in the body and dissolves the phlegm in the respiratory tract.
  • By drinking warm water mixed with pepper and honey one can delay the onset of an attack by half an hour, giving ample time to get help and medication. If done on a regular basis, it can also completely rid one of the ailment.
  • Another tip to avoid spasms is to soak few tulsi leaves and pepper in honey for 3-4 hours and then chew on it.
  • It is best to avoid bananas, jackfruit, cooked beetroot (you can eat raw beetroot), country beans and dairy products. Also avoid coconut, as it forms mucous.

Sadhguru also has a few tips regarding sinus issues.

Sadhguru: I know people who have just messed up their whole system trying to do all kinds of things to their sinuses. If you do the kapalabathi that is taught as part of the Shakti Chalana Kriya, within a month or two, for most people their sinusitis should completely disappear. If you do the kapalabathi properly, it will provide relief to any type of cold-related disease.

There are a few exceptions, but it has worked for a majority of people. For those who have not had any relief, they probably need to take a break from whatever they are allergic to for a while, and do the kriya for some time to establish it well. Their kriya may not be very effective because of their allergic conditions. If the nasal passages are not fully opened and there is excessive mucus, the kriya may not be completely effective. If it is practiced correctly, you can definitely work yourself out of allergic situations. Cold weather just won’t bother you anymore. Not just the cold, even heat will not disturb you. When you have an internal air-conditioning, both the heat and cold do not disturb you too much.

Keeping the nasal passages clear and breathing properly is an extremely important process. Modern societies have forgotten about this. They think that somehow if the air goes inside, it is okay. This is not so. Clear nostrils and a healthy breathing process are extremely important.

Those who suffer from cold related diseases and find their nostrils blocked every morning, will benefit a lot from the consumption of neem, pepper, honey and turmeric.

I had cnyus , after months of practice , I am searching it now

This is so true! I spent plenty of school days resistant to go out and play fearing the dust from the playground and shortness of breath.. after few days of pranayama my breathing completely changed and i felt my lungs were lighter and made my breathing nothing but easy..But for various reasons I couldn't continue practising the Yoga! Now I'm very anxious to start over!!!

Very true to me as well. Cold, cough, sneeze and nasal allergy were a constant companion of mine, and I had gone to the extent of being administered multiple daily doses of the inhaler (Duolin - Ipratropium Bromide and Levosalbutamol) in Feb 2013.
I did Shambhavi in Sep 2013, and since then have been regularly practising. I haven't fallen sick since then (touch wood) or caught serious cold/cough. Allergies or breathing problems have almost gone. Stamina has improved.
And these are only the physical (positive) side effects of doing the simple 21 minutes practice everyday.
It is said that there are many other dimensions, in which Kriya Yoga is beneficial to one's life.

Thank you SADHGURU ...I will like to add that even Shambahavi that was taught during IE has benefitted me a lot...my allergies are so much better and my issues with sinusitis is not bothersome anymore.

Namaskaram Sadhguru this reminds me of brushing teeth with neem stalks , once in a while we tried when we were kids it lost :(

If we have heavy cold and sinus issues, is it ok to consume a lot of neem? And is there any restriction for pregnant mothers on neem consumption?

Same here... I was on Formonide 200 (daily 2-3 puffs) and just doing Kapalbhati pranayama for 3-5 minutes a day solved the problem. Now it is a rare occurrence for me to need to take a puff, maybe once or twice a year inhaling a single puff in certain dust exposure!

@facebook-100000632157799:disqus anna whenever sadhguru tells something at public discourse's it will be safer for everyone... need not worry.

What about people suffering with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis? Is it also self-created , can it be cured?
Need explanation, please someone answer.

A welcome msg for most of us. Thanks 4 posting here anna.

Hai bharat m kavimanan from malaysia. Im having sinus problem. By doing kapalabhathi is the chances are high to cure?can u help me to guide??..thank u so much

How do we get fresh neem leaves everyday??

Anyone knows If jal neti is thought in Bangalore?

This is such an informative post. Sadhguru has just so much knowledge to share to everyone, thank you for this. Yoga is one amazing ancient practice that almost all health issues are addressed even allergies, I am in awe.

1 year 10 months ago

Hello I'm ashwani Pareek, I am originally from jaipur, Rajasthan. I work in pune, whenever I come back to pune I start with itching on my palate and nose with watery eyes. This clearly shows that I'm suffering from allergic rhinitis and also I suffer from a skin allergy called urticaria. Now I'm seeking for a natural remedy or I'm willing to do a sadguru's course. Please anyone guide me.

I have allergies and I tried many medicines including ayurvedic but nothing worked. Both of the above treatments seem very effective and I will give it a try for 3 to 4 months. Lets see how it goes. Thank you so much for the invaluable post.

I used to suffer from seasonal allergies which were gradually developing into allergic asthma till 2010. I did Inner Engineering with Sadhguru in December 2010. Just a month before that my condition was very bad and Doctor had given me steroids and heavy antibiotics as I had severe bronchitis. The Doctor also prescribed an anti-allergic pill to be taken every day for an year or longer. According to him allergies need to be managed and are very difficult to cure. I usually try to avoid medicines so I thought the course would probably help me (this was not the primary intention of doing the course though).
After practicing Shambhavi for 40 days I could feel the difference in my lung capacity, stamina and breathing. I then started to skip the anti-allergic pill and by continuing my practice of Shambhavi, I was able to stop the pill completely by April 2011 (within 4 months). However, i continued using the inhaler for my Asthma but the use became infrequent.
In December 2011, I did Hat Yoga and found it immensely beneficial. I have been doing Surya Namaskar since then (though not very regular with the practice) and my Shambhavi practice is regular. Very rarely I feel the need for inhaler now (in the last four months I would have taken it only 2-3 times). Many other changes have also happened. Like I used to get morning sneezes during season change or cold season, which has completely vanished. If I used to get less sleep then my allergies would enhance, but now no more.
There were also some changes in the lifestyle that I made as I became more aware of what is happening in my body. Eating right quantity and quality of food, more fruits, timing of eating, eating only sprouts in the breakfast etc.
My nostrils since December 2010 have never been blocked. Even if I have some infection, only one will be blocked. So I am able to breath properly and full which is an experience in itself.
Wholeheartedly, I am thankful to Sadhguru for imparting this knowledge.

1 year 10 months ago

Thanks for a quick response.

You can buy neem powder from any ayurvedic shop. Use about 1/4 tablespoon of neem powder with same amount of water and it will make a paste. Use this to make balls.