4 Tips for a Better Workplace
Whether you are part of the leadership of an organization, or a part of the workforce, the responsibility largely lies within you to create a beautiful workplace around yourself. Here are a few tips from Sadhguru on how we can make that happen.

Read in Telugu: మెరుగైన ఆఫీసు వాతావరణం కోసం 4 చిట్కాలు

#1 Stop Working "Hard"

Sadhguru: Right from childhood, nobody told us to study joyfully or work lovingly. People have always told us, “When you study, study hard. When you work, work hard.” People do everything hard, but then end up complaining that life is not easy.

The very nature of the ego is such that it wants to do everything hard because its only concern is to be one step above somebody else. It is a very sad way to live. When that is the whole effort, doing everything hard naturally becomes a source of satisfaction for people. If they do things joyfully, it feels like they haven’t done anything at all.

Isn’t it wonderful when you do many things but you still feel like you haven’t done anything? That is how it should be. You may be working twenty-four hours of the day, but if you still feel like you have not done anything, then you don’t carry the burden of everything upon you. If you carry it all on your head, your capabilities never get full expression and you end up getting blood pressure, diabetes or ulcers.

#2 Go Beyond Competition

6829381157_8edcb521e5_z

Sadhguru: True human capabilities will not find expression in competition. When you are trying to race with somebody, you are only thinking of going one step ahead of him, that's all. You are not thinking of what your ultimate potential is. True human capabilities will find expression only in absolute relaxation. Your mind, your body will work best and find fullest expression, only when you are joyful, peaceful and quiet within yourself. Usually, if you tell people to relax, they become lax. If you ask people to be intense, they become tense. Do you see the difference? You have to learn to be intense and relaxed. If you can maintain your intensity and relaxation together, all the potential you have will always be used to its fullest.

#3 Learn the Art of Volunteering

Sadhguru: When you volunteer, your work is an offering, but at your home or workplace the same work becomes an ugly chore. The work is the same and you are the same but you can make it either miserable or joyful. So whatever you do at the workplace, why don’t you do it as an offering? What’s stopping you?

257081815_61cf3d66f1_z

You must be a volunteer, always. To volunteer means to conduct your life willingly. Right now if you say, “I am a volunteer,” what it means is, “I am doing whatever I am doing willingly.” Yes? So this is a choice you have. You can either conduct your life willingly or unwillingly. If you do it willingly, it becomes a love affair, it becomes your heaven. If you do it unwillingly, it becomes hell. So, being a volunteer does not mean washing dishes at a program or cutting vegetables. It is learning to become willing to all kinds of situations, that you conduct every moment of your life willingly, not unwillingly. Because the moment unwillingness comes, even if the most beautiful thing is happening to you, it feels like you are being trounced by life.

#4 Get the Best Out of Your Co-workers

6829487161_3ce7cbf089_z

Sadhguru: If you want any work to be done, whether you are running an industry or a family or anything for that matter, you will always get the best out of people when everybody around you has fallen in love with you in some way. But before they fall in love with you, you must fall in love with them, irrespective of how they are. Only when people love you will they do the best that they can do for you.

Editor's Note: What has worked well for you in creating a happier, better work environment? Do share your own tips and experiences in the comments below!

Tremendous article Sadhguru, we all thank you for your clear insight and direction to the betterment of our internal nature and to its enhanced state. Many Blessings :)

So... this means... at all times...

"Choose to want what you have?"

thank you for sharing the very best knowledge & wisdom

nice one! this is the need of the hour for both the rookies and experienced one!

One thing i have always thought of is.. when i volunteer for a non profit i think i'm working without any hardship, rest, endlessly and still i could feel as i have done nothing. The same thing when i try to do at my workplace i couldnot able to do it!! I strive very hard to do even a small petty work.

Kindness is way to go, kindness to everyone including yourself. Also kindness to the situation, this planet, weather, everything. Kindness is a way to achieve peace within you.

Its working right from the day i joined Isha yoga programme at NIIT TRICHY ON FEB.2013.

Right message at right time Sadhguru.. Was fed up and prayed to you and you answered me.. :D

This words help me in many situation

What a clarity of thought .... Amazing perception !.

So Fantastic

Love #3 ...

It feels great to be joyful and doing all the assigned jobs as a volunteer. It has changed a lot in me, at the same time all folks working around seems to change for good as well. The whole world looks changed with just change in self perception.

this article really removes my tension,sadness,tiredness,fear and tear in my work place.thus add enormous amount of confidance happyness, energy, strength,boldness and make me do the best to my knowledge.this is not an article but a pot of the gold and a part path of peaceful life. cause every person in this world is working for something

What has been said in your article , I feel is true , as I have personally experiences in my 35 years of working for various Private and Public Sector companies. that when I was most productive, these 4 points had played a major role, although at that point of time I may not have been conscious of it. ; Working " smart " is definitely much better than just working " hard ", specially when one is clear about the objectives and vision of the company you are working for. Similarly, getting the goodwill of those you work with , whether they are within the company or outside, definitely leads to success with out the ego and stress that comes with trying to be one step ahead of the "competition". Our ancient texts have illustrated these points, , but unfortunately our education system seems to stress on " competitive, hard work " and "oneupmanship" copies blindly from the west, which leads only to long term disappointment and health problems. I am therefore glad that this article had been published. Hope school and college students can also be guided with such useful information.

What I find about all these tips posted are not only do they good but they are realistic as well. After all, if we want to be happy with our work, we must also place our effort towards making it a happy place! This is one of my fave posts so far.

I get goosebumps whenever I read Sadhguru's article. Need I say more!

Very true ! I was once in a job that did not get me enough challenges and so was unhappy all the time and keep complaining to everyone. Suddenly one day i realised who is going to stop me if i start preparing myself for the one i love and make a jump. It was the moment of realization ! It took me less than 2 years to make the paradigm shift which changed my life altogether. Now i enjoy my work ! I don't complain to anyone, and leave my experience if somebody complains to me ! Love your work and the work showers her love upon you unlimitedly, trust me ! Cheers !

i love others very intensly but others loving me is always a question...pls help me out...

Nice lets work joyfully from right now,,,

Wonderfull article nicely articulated but i am at my mid of my career if would have gt these advice suring my initial day of schooling. I would have been more productive and worked smart. i have been doing hardwork now i will move smart work principle. thanks for the wonderfull article.