Butter Fruit and Drumstick Leaf Chutney Recipe
Two tasty and versatile chutney recipes from the Isha kitchen!
Butter Fruit and Drumstick Leaf Chutney
Try out these two tasty and versatile chutney recipes from the Isha kitchen!
Butter Fruit (Avocado) Chutney
Butter fruit (avocado) – halved, seeds discarded, chopped: 1
Black pepper powder: ½ tsp.
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp.
Olive oil: 1 tsp.
Salt to taste
- Place the butter fruit pieces in the jar of a mixer.
- Add salt, black pepper powder, and lemon juice; grind to a smooth paste.
- Transfer into a bowl, mix in the olive oil, and serve.
Tip: This dish can also be made into the popular dip, guacamole. Add a few tablespoons of finely diced capsicum and/or fresh tomatoes, and chopped fresh coriander leaves. It can be used to dress salads or as a dip for vegetable sticks, crackers or chips.
Drumstick Leaf Chutney
Drumstick leaves – washed, drained, pat-dried with tea towel: 1
Oil: 2 tbsp.
Cumin seeds: ¼ tsp.
Red chilies: 5-7
Split Bengal gram (dhuli chana dal): ¼ tsp.
Split black gram (dhuli urad dal): ¼ tsp.
Mustard seeds: ¼ tsp.
Tamarind – marble-sized piece; soaked in water: 1
Coconut – grated: ¼ cup
Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan; roast the cumin seeds, red chilies, and dals. Remove from the pan and set aside in a separate plate.
- Add the drumstick leaves to the pan with 1 tbsp oil, and sauté until soft. Allow to cool.
- Take the whole chilies from the plate and grind them along with the sautéd drumstick leaves, tamarind, coconut, and salt to a slightly coarse paste. Add the dals and cumin seeds from the plate and grind everything for a few seconds, maintaining the slightly coarse texture.
Editor’s Note: You can find these and many other recipes in Isha’s new cookbook “A Taste of Well-Being” – now available from Isha Downloads, in major book stores as well as at online stores such as Amazon and Flipkart.