What You Cannot Count, Counts
On the occasion of Diwali, Sadhguru held Darshan at the Isha Yoga Center and spoke about the quest for earning a living versus finding your purpose in life. "Unfortunately today, most human beings spend their whole lifetime just making a living because their living is so unnatural and expensive. They buy a house, thirty years they are mortgaged to the house - not the house is mortgaged, you are mortgaged to the house." Sadhguru then asks us to look beyond what we can accumulate to see that what we can experience within is immeasurable. Enjoy!

Questioner: How can I find out what is my duty to society? I went to business school, I had a job offer from a multinational and I said, “No, this is not it, there is more to what I want to do and I came here to find out.”

Sadhguru: When I visited one of the top business schools, it was shocking for me that they are teaching people, “What you cannot count does not count.” No, only what you cannot count, counts. What you can count is of minimal importance in your life. What you can count is essentially what you can get. With what you can get, you can make a living. You cannot make a life out of it. Do you want to spend your life just making a living, or do you want to make a life out of it? This is the choice that every human being has.

Unfortunately today, most human beings spend their whole lifetime just making a living because their living is so unnatural and expensive. They buy a house, thirty years they are mortgaged to the house - not the house is mortgaged, you are mortgaged to the house. They buy a car, they are mortgaged ten years. Even their education loan is taking fifteen years to clear. Just today, there is some news in the paper; they are saying in the future, from now onwards, every third human being born on this planet may live up to 100 years. And he will generally finish his education by the time he is 32. He will clear his education loan by the time he is 50. He will get married when he is 45 and he will retire at 70 or 72. After that, for the next 30 years, of course, he has health insurance. So, he will go from doctor to doctor.

... the only and only way you can experience life is to become more and more conscious.

If you want to make a life out of this, do not think in terms of what you can do for the society. If you do something really wonderful to yourself, then naturally you will want to share it with everybody, it is inevitable. If something really wonderful comes your way, don’t you want to share it? Only those things that you can count, you do not want to share. Those aspects of life which you understand that you cannot count, that means it will never deplete. Those things you can count and accumulate, always, the fear is it will go away. If you collect a million rupees and keep it, the fear is only one million is there, it will go away if you bring it out. If you had joy in you, ecstasy in you, knowing in you, enlightenment in you, you know it cannot go away, so there is no need to lock it and keep it. That is when you can really reach out and do whatever is needed to be done.

What you should do with the world is not what you like. What you should do with the world is what the world needs, isn’t it? What is needed should be done, not what you like. Always, this has been propagated, particularly in the western societies. “Doing what you like is freedom.” You must understand your like and dislike is a certain level of compulsion. If you cannot do what you like, you will suffer. If you have to do what you do not like, you will suffer. It is a serious compulsion - it is a trap. If you invest your life in what you like, you are getting into a deep trap. You will see what you do not like will torment you all the time.

Do not bother about what you like. First of all, don’t set it up like that. Just do what is needed. If you are doing what is needed, everything is fine all the time. There is no question of compulsiveness. Naturally, you become conscious. If you are always looking at what is needed, you will become very conscious. And the only way, and the only and only way you can experience life is to become more and more conscious. If you become less and less conscious, you cannot experience life. Only if you become more and more conscious you can experience life. If you are really conscious, everything becomes fantastic. If you become really unconscious, you are dead.

So the choice is not between what kind of life; the choice is between life and death because consciousness is the only way life can happen. Unconscious means you are moving towards death in installments. And if you invest too much in what you can count, you will become more and more unconscious. There was a sage in Karnataka, his name was Allama Maha Prabhu, a wonderful sage, he wrote thousands of poems. In one poem he laments, he says if a man is drowning, you can still talk to him. If a man is bitten by a snake, you can still talk to him. But a man who is bitten by wealth and money, you cannot talk to because he has become so unconscious.

If you can have a few bucks around, it makes things a little simple and easy. Beyond that it has no consequence. It is what you cannot count which makes the difference. So invest your life in what you cannot count. Whatever you do, you will be a great contribution to the world.

Love & Grace

Excerpted from Darshan, 13 November 2012, on the occasion of Diwali.

Pranam Sadhguru,

You said "What is needed should be done, not what you like." How do we differentiate between the two? In all the cases we do what we like thinking this is what is needed. if you can comment on this it might help.

You find another way of looking at unselfish service. But your comment weigh very much lighter then the service rendered and the noble intention of the unselfish souls involved. You hv a point.but Just Wrong timing.

beautiful..

Yes master you are right. when we do things for others the joy multiplies.

He has all the qualities of a perfect Educator - Vaalga Sadhguru

Please be aware that Isha is the recipeint of prestigious "Indira Gandhi Paryavaran Award" by the President of India, which is the highest award for environmental initiative in India.

Even at Isha Shoppe, we are given cloth bags as a substitute for Plastic Carry Bags.

Prasad, i.e., Ladoos are tightly wrapped with paper and not plastic cover. I think we have mistaken. Kindly forgive me if I was wrong

What are you , O Sadhguru?
---------------------------------------
What are you, my Sadhguru?
I am confused having met you !!
I see so many shades
But shades is not the word
So many colors , so many forms should I say?
While in truth you are formless
Still awed I was by the many
At times you were a child
On my level with me on par
Laughing and sharing a personal joke
At times you were my father
Prodding me to listen
Patiently waiting for me to find my feet
At times you were my mother
Cajoling me to close my eyes
Being there to catch in case I fall or rise
At times, you are like a buddy
cracking jokes and sharing laughs
dancing and playing ball
Or just being there guarding my back
What are you my Sadhguru?
For I see so many forms and roles
While in truth, you are formless
At times, you are like a breeze
Gentle and invisible
Touching lives yet unstoppable
At times, you are like a storm
Removing all roots and thoughts
All that dirt removed in one wash
Are you a Buddha or Krishna ?
Are you a messiah or a Zen Master?
I used to wonder but now I am clear
You adorn each role with ease
Before I settle, you take up another
Confusing me even more !!
What are you, O Sadhguru?
No wonder you feel at home in Kailash
For you are Him and He is you
I know your secret, O Shambo!!
You smile at your own maya, I see
You are the form of creator and destroyer
What are you O Sadhguru?
I see you in many forms
But in truth, you are formless as He.
When some see your physical form
I close my eyes and see just space
Still that space feels immense and beyond
Formless yet filled with your presence
What are you O Sadhguru !!!

What a wonderful feeling... :)

superb...guru....whenever i was in trouble..u will b there for me...thank u very much

whatever may be the occasion,when will we listen to the cries of our mother earth, we will find plenty of reasons and plenty of occasions for not to listen

I just read an article "More Real than Real" by Sadhguru. In that, he said
"People invest in one thing; from that, a world will grow out of it. One thought, one emotion, one idea, one attachment; out of that a whole universe will evolve. ...... It is happening, everybody has a universe of their own. And it looks real, more real than the real. So there is no time for the Real.".

I just thought of sharing this with you. "Don't miss the whole picture."

yes sadguru but doing unselfish work needs courage . KIndly give your grace and blessings so that i could harness that courage and enjoy life

Great great and great! Thank you Sadhguruji! Pranams!

Wow... I cannot give words to my thoughts on sadhguru.. But you have and the you have described the feel is very expressive.. Wait... Again Im running out of words sister.... :D

Grt words in simple lines.
Feel m movin in de rt direction.

Good question,
But if you have an alternative which can be applied to the masses please propose one. Criticising(Even if +ve) is easier than developing something worthwhile.

As sadhguru says 'WHAT YOU CANNOT COUNT , COUNTS' the joy on their faces after eating.

Paper pouches can be used right?

Where did you picked up this "do things for others"? Everything what you can really do is for yourself and for yourself only :) Do not bother if your doings benefits for someone else - it is not your business. What do you want to multiply? Things that are uncountable? Just tell me how, I'm curious ;)

.what are you ,"oh,prasanna Lakshmi".So beautiful are you from the heart.

Wonderful words.

Namasthe Guruji "I?" am becoming more humble and humble reading your messages we are blessed.

enjoyed your comment

hello sir..!!! I'm shobana!!!! I Wanna come to vellingiri to serve people life long without any expectations by staying there.. I'm a Engineer and im intrested in teaching profession..canu pls tell me the formalities???

Pranam Sadguru
When environmental pollution is such a big concern, why isha is distributing laddus in plastic pouch? so many of them! Within few minutes, when the pleasure of eating laddu is over what will remain is garbage!
Sadguru, is it ok to use plastic like that? shall we not explore better options?

Sadhguru I get your point,.....don't have the money in your head.I totally agree .But I think the speech could have been altered......was quite confusing in between.Your growing old man!!!

"Allama Maha Prabhu, a wonderful sage, he wrote thousands of poems. In one poem he laments, he says if a man is drowning, you can still talk to him. If a man is bitten by a snake, you can still talk to him. But a man who is bitten by wealth and money, you cannot talk to because he has become so unconscious." Shambho,

Here now that you have happened

O Glorious One

May your Glory and Grace

Stir the sleeping hordes

Into wakefulness and light

A stanza from "Shambho's poem"

Sadhguru I remember hearing you in person that "by taking you can make a living but only by giving you live life." Hard to make people understand this in a world increasingly led by economic dictates. My Pranams to you for making me realise this.

Think as if plastic doesn't exist,solution will come automatically.
The joy of eating is temporary, but the pollution is permanent..

Thank you so much Sadhguru love and blessings, from dhe heart

I am amazed with this articles. It's really deep and the way I see it, Sadhguru only wants point out that in life, there are more important things other than material possessions.