Classical Yoga: The Right Ambience
In this week's episode of Classical Yoga, we explore the importance of creating the right ambience for the transmission of yoga to take place.

Isha seeks to bring back classical yoga in its purest form – not studio yoga, not book yoga or the various innovations that are brought in around the world without an understanding of the basic principles – but proper classical yoga, which is a phenomenally powerful science. It is a system that is precisely and meticulously put together as a means of reaching higher dimensions.

Last week, in the Classical Yoga series, we saw how important the Guru-shishya paramparya (Master-disciple tradition) was for the proper transfer of yogic sciences across the ages. Today we take a look at the necessity for a powerful ambience for the transmission of classical yoga. Sadhguru talks about the Adiyogi Alayam, an 82,000 sq. ft. column-less hall, the largest of its kind in India.

Sadhguru:

The reason we created the Adiyogi Alayam is to bring back classical yoga in its purest form. Not studio yoga or book yoga, not the kind of things that are being done in the world today, but proper classical yoga which is a phenomenally powerful science.

...in yoga, there is a classical science which is the science.

Today, the reason we have our iPhones and other gadgets is because for the first fifty years of scientific development, scientists invested in fundamental physics. The iPhone is just a fancy gadget. I am not trying to pull it down, it is useful, but it is not science. Creating it is also not science, it is just a little bit of technology. When it comes to the world, there is only one science and that is physics. Fundamental physics is the science; everything else is just an offshoot. But how many people are studying fundamental physics today? An extremely miniscule number. You will see, after thirty years if there aren’t many people in fundamental physics, nothing new will come out of science because the basic scientific knowledge will be missing.

Similarly in yoga, there is a classical science which is the science. But right now, there is almost no investment in the concrete science of yoga. People are only trying to reap the benefits. It is like if you grow a cow, you can milk it. After a while, people will only be interested in the udder and not the cow. So they won’t have any cow. They’ll just have a plastic udder and soon, there will be no milk.

We want to re-establish classical yoga, we want to build people who are willing to invest their life into the profoundness of yoga; not people who hang upside down and think they are doing yoga. Bringing back that dimension of yoga is not going to happen by instruction alone; phenomenal energy is needed, otherwise yoga cannot be taught. If you teach yoga without creating a vessel of energy, then that is not really yoga. That is just a farce. That farce is going on all over the world right now.

The Adiyogi Alayam was created with the intention of making a powerful space. We wanted such a vibrant space that if you simply sit here, really tuned into what’s happening here in this hall, you must be able to know all the yoga sutras. You never have to open a book or listen to anybody, you just have to energy-tune yourself and it’ll be there. Of course, someone will assist you a little bit but if I say a word, if your energy does not throb with it, you don’t know anything about it. You just know words. Words are not yoga. If you listen to something, that must happen in the system; otherwise it is not yoga. To make that happen you need a powerful space.

Tomorrow, when we are not here, there still has to be a space that will teach yoga. Maybe there will be just a teacher, maybe there will be no guru here. Even if a teacher stands here, suddenly things should come out of them that they do not know. They should begin to say things, they should begin to feel things, they should begin to experience things that they themselves do not know. Only then can we transmit yoga.

The second Isha Hata Yoga Teacher Training Program has been announced! The 21-week program from July 22nd to Dec 16th, 2013 in Adiyogi Alayam is an unparalleled opportunity to acquire a profound understanding of the yogic system and the proficiency to teach Hata Yoga. For more information, visit www.ishahatayoga.com or mail info@ishahatayoga.com

Looking for more articles on Classical Yoga? Check out our Classical Yoga Series.

Sujay, attend monthly santhsang in your area and discuss this issue with the teacher.

Namaskaram

I am doing shambhavi mudra from jan 2011 and also initiated for Hata yoga on Dec 15 2012.
It has
been 2 years plus with shambhavi and about 4 months now with hatha yoga.
My Overall flexibility has improved and i am vey grateful for that.

But
, i have a huge concern. I am not able sit properly in Ardha
Siddhasana. It is very painful in upper half of the legs and they are at
30 degrees from the ground. I feel so irritated that i am not able to sit properly in cross legged posture.

Will i ever be able to sit without pain and my legs at zero degrees. It is already 2 years now with shambhavi.

Please Help me.

Pranams
Vishal V

Can you please tell me how do you feel after doing Hatha yoga for 12 years .
Mental Changes:

I want to know if it will make you more confident by making you stable so that you dont get tensed by any situation.
Physical Changes:

Does it make your belly fat go away
Does it make you very strong as a person.
Energy wise:
Do you feel tensed by any situation.

Happy Ugadi ...

Please tell me ... You can mail me .

My MailID: vishalece@yahoo.com

Aum Namah Shivaya!

I truly believe that in doing yoga, the ambiance is very important. More than looking for a quiet place to stay that place where you do yoga should also let you feel comfortable and lets you concentrate and keep you away from distractions. I love this article, thank you Sadhguru.

Maybe something wrong in your diet - to less raw vegetables. Also in my case muscles's flexibility rise during the day. So in the morning I can't do Halasana, but in evening I can.

Another thing: I have problem with tension in meddle part of spine, and it also cames out while Siddhasana. So maybe this meditative posture expose our tension, our problems to solve. When it happens I try to recall what Sadhguru introduced "I'm not the body, I'm not even the mind" - because I've noticet that this tension depends of my level o joy.

stretch your , adductaar muscles of thigh , the thigh elevation is because of tightness in muscles , do stretchings regularley

Namaskaram Vishal.

Reduce the pain by using a pillow to sit in ardha sidhasana. Please do both "suryanamaskars" and "asanas" daily. Invest 2.5 hrs just for hata yoga daily. You will see phenomenal results. If you need results, you must invest time.

Regarding diet, before eating your regular food, please have lots of fruits. That's enough.

Pranams,

Elango

Thank you so much for replying .

I feel do both from today .So if i do like this both will it be ok say in a months time

Namaskaram

Namaskaram,

Recently i have participated in Isha Yoga program, which has conducted in Chennai and i learnt Shambhavi Mahamudra from Sadhguru. My left leg was operated when i was a kid and i cannot able to sit on cross legged position (Ardha
Siddhasana). I can able to sit on Vajrasana. Please guide me whether i can sit on vajrasana since i have no other option.

Pranams,

Karthick.

Wow even i also recall the same 'Not the body,Not the mind' , cool.

But i dont know what diet to eat. i eat 6days veg and only sunday afternoon nonveg. so may be not just the diet.

Thanks- I took your advice, attended the session and spoke to the teacher.. Made some minor corrections but going through the class again helped tremendously. The practice is happening beautifully now - Touch wood! Really appreciate the advice..

Spend 5 minutes for patangasana and 5 minutes for
sisupal asana for a month. This might provide enough flexibility and strength to reach NEAR-0 degree goal.

I had done Shambhavi in 2007 Dec. Everything is going fine. But 2 years after having done Shambhavi regularly, my BP went up very high. I had to take medicines and still taking medicines. It seems to be under control now (with medicines), but BP is supposed to stabilize when we do Shambavi. But I want to know if there is a possibility that BP would go up if I dont do something right in Shambhavi (Someone said it could be the Sukha kriya). Any suggestions would greatly help. I have learnt Hatayoga but dont do it regularly :(

Amazing solution...

Sir can i ask you how long you have been doing shambhavi and hatha yoga. And, if you dont mind can you share your experience of each one. i dying to listen...

I am practicing hata yoga and shakthi chalana kriya for the past 12 years.I hardly practice Shambavi.

2.5 hours of hata yoga and 1 hr of shakthi chalana kriya make be a better person. Atleast, good for the people around me. :)