Breaking the Mental Chains
How does a person become free of their bondages when they are in a family where so many people are dependent on them and there are certain chains around you? Sadhguru explains.

Breaking the Mental Chains

Sadhguru: Maybe you cannot release your body from the chains but you can definitely release your mind from the chains. That is in your hands, isn’t it? Right now, maybe you cannot take Sanyas and live in an ashram – your husband, wife or your children will not allow you, but you becoming mentally free, can anybody stop you? No. The bondages have come only because of yourself and nobody else. Freedom does not mean we have to change all our situations. We do not have to turn our life or situations upside down to become free because one situation is not better than some other situation; don’t ever believe that. It is just a choice. Somebody chooses to live in this situation and somebody else chooses to live in another situation; everything has its pluses and minuses. The important thing is how you are within yourself, isn’t it? So, you may not be able to change your external situation immediately, maybe there is nothing wrong with it and there is no need to change it. But you should change your inner situation because it is bothering you.

The important thing is how you are within yourself.

This mind can become a ladder to divinity, it can make you ecstatic. Many times this mind made you happy, isn’t it? And many times it made you very unhappy, fearful, tense and frustrated. So the same mind is doing both. It is doing whatever it wants because this little instrument of a mind is not in your hands, it has gone out of control. You can take your car and reach the next city or you can ram it straight into a tree. It is left to you. So, it is just about what you do with it. You can reach very far if you keep the controls in your hands.

Editor’s Note: The ebook “Inner Management”, contains more of Sadhguru’s wisdom on opening up a new dimension that frees us from external influences. Set "0" in the price field to download for free.

Inner Management

What i percieved is here Sadhguru is talking about , unless you get free from your mental problems, you changing the situations around you doesn`t give you any solution ...........
Inthat context any situation with same mindset can`t be any betterthan the other
And here you are taking the example about food.... here we are not talking about physical problems, food is about stomach and yes food in stomah is necessary and it`s betterthan having nothing ,nobody denies that but when it comes to mental problems obviously the solution lies in our mind not in the situation. situations are just instrumental and we have every choice of what to make out of it ....Pranams

"one situation is not better than some other situation; don’t ever believe that"
There are people starving and dying.  There are people in other end too.  Can we say their situation are comparable ?

A life changing  answer by Sadguru regarding situations and our mind and how to handle them ,explained in a straight forward, simple manner. Yes, it is our inner being which is responsible for everything which exists  and operates outside of us

Shambo, a path breaking answer, let me just follow from this moment onwards.

I have been searching for this question for decades.  Thank you Sadhguru, Thank you.

samarth....thats the qustion i had and shambavi helped me lot,,,, later in google search i found out that "research    done by  IIT on people doing shambhavi proved that it tremendously increased cordination between different parts of it. I experiencly found out it.... I was sucessful even in my business life effortlessly be cos of shambavi...sadguru is god's gift

Sadhguru, could please elaborate what "Control" means. I like certain kind of thought, say adultery, and I waste lot of time on that. Obviously it is damaging my psychological health, time and energy.  What does control mean in this aspect?  I can not stop the thoughts to take birth. Neither I can stop the flow cause I am immersed in it. Isn't it looking beyond control.  How can I master this.  You may say  it is all hormones , but I don't have control on that either.

Most importantly why should we control and what should we control.  This is always a confusion. Some things look OK at some times, they look natural also giving strength to lose control. Some times it seems if we do not have the kind attitude or feelings it is some thing wrong. LOT OF CONFUSION.

Please master , bestow me with WISDOM that I will never lose.

Sadhguru, namaskaram. In my quest for an untroubled interiority, I have understood that all thoughts and consequences are of my creation. I am working towards connection without attachment and entanglement. As you say, I cannot allow external factors to continuously dictate the state of my mind. My inward journey towards this interior calm is on and very exciting. Pranam.

Thank you my dear Sadhguru. From past few weeks, I have been caught up in a maze of thoughts some so frightful, some so sad and some happy. I opened this blog just in nick of time, to get me grounded back to reality. My eyes are filled with tears...I don't know what would I have done without you my dearest Sadhguru

Sadhguru straightly pointed out, it is the mind which keeps you happy,pleasant,joy and ecstacy of life as well it keeps unhappy, fear, sad,tension and unpleasant also.  Hence, one has to learn the mechanism of operation of the mind into the controls of one's hand.  One need not have to change the external situations, conditions prevailing there, but a change in the inner situation, observing, living with consciousness or awareness......what I am doing, what I am thinking in a state of equanimous will certainly or surely brings control in our hands and leads to live beyond the present mental chains around us in life.  Pranams to Sadhguru

I wanted to register and become a member of Isha foundation...presently being at pondicherry...could anyone please suggest me about who to contact and meet regarding this...

Dear Uma Shankar,
The answer was for the questioner and not the question. If we extract phrases from the above answer and interpret them, it would be out of context and we will not benefit from the answer.

The question Sadguru is how to "keep the control in our hands"? Is Shambhavi the answer? Or is there more that we need to do.. please direct.

legs can get up and walk away from any situation like that

And how do we keep the controls in our hands Sadhguru? By doing our practices? I have been doing Shambhavi for three years and still find it challenging to find lasting inner happiness independent of external situations. Please guide.
In gratitude...

"What you cannot count, counts". - Sadhguru

So happy to read your experience ma`m. But somewhere we get a small doubt that.... did all these really happen? then we could see the honesty in your writing and we are really happy for you ma`m... and the most important thing i am really touched is, obviously the abusive behaviour of your husband should be the greatest problem in your life as u`d percieved but you held sadhguru darshan more blessing than change in your husband behaviour.... that is true grattitude..and i loved it.. Pranams

sadguru,  This  answer gives solution to all our problems.Thanks.