Why is Right-handedness Encouraged Over Left-handedness?
A preference for performing activity with the right hand over the left is common in Indian culture. Sadhguru clears up the mystery behind this.

Why is Right-handedness Encouraged Over Left-handedness?

Questioner: Sadhguru, in the Indian culture, people always eat and receive with the right hand, and even in the West, it is encouraged to do things with the right hand rather than with the left. I am wondering why this is so.

Sadhguru: One reason is that our cardiac system is on the left side. The human system is designed in such a way that you should not use your left as much as you use your right. This is relevant for activities like throwing a ball. But why receiving or giving with the right? Left and right are very different in quality. Whether you keep the right hand or leg over the left, or the left over the right makes a big difference. In the yogic culture, except for certain types of activities that are generally considered as occult, we always keep the left leg tucked in.

The left is the feminine in you – it needs to be protected and nurtured. The right is the masculine in you. Everything that you want to do outside, you should do with the right. The right is more robust – the left more sensitive. If I want to feel you out, I will always open my left hand, because it is receptive and sensitive. You want to keep the left soft and nice so that it receives well and feels things out well. If you use it for other activities, it will lose that sensitivity. You use your left hand only if something needs a very subtle touch. To give an example – it takes a certain amount of getting your masculinity out of your mind to play golf. That is why I end up using my left hand most of the time. To go furthest, you do not need power – you need a subtle touch.

That is the nature of the feminine, and the left is feminine. Because most people have killed the feminine in themselves, they do not notice any difference. Had they kept the feminine active within themselves, they would. But today, our idea of equality is to level everything. There has been a huge effort in Western societies and now everywhere else in the world also, to level the masculine and the feminine, which is most unfortunate and crude. Women are becoming less feminine, which is a tragedy. Somewhere, we perceive being feminine as weak because we are ruled by gross values.

Only the masculine can survive when economics is the sole value you have. Economics is essentially survival process. We are elevating survival process as the greatest value on the planet, which is a foolish way to live. Once you do this, there is not much room for the feminine, because providing for yourself and people around you is essentially a masculine process. It is not that women should be incapable of that, but in terms of qualities, we are destroying one quality completely, and then we are wondering why the world is so brutal and gross. With the values we are setting in today’s societies, it cannot be any other way.

For the feminine to function, the left has to be kept gentle and alert. The right hand is for doing things in the world – to earn a living, throw a ball, or whatever else. For all survival processes, we use the right hand. If you do something very subtle, you should use the left hand. Some people are born with their heart on the right side. Just like that, some people are born left-handed. Their energies are such that they invariably use the left hand. But otherwise, naturally, you can do more activity with the right hand than the left. The left needs to be kept in a different way because it is designed for a different purpose. This does not mean that you should for example only exercise with the right hand. It is just that you should not use your left side as aggressively as you use your right side. It must be preserved for receptivity. Otherwise, there will be no receptivity in you.

Find out more about the wonderful intricacies of Indian culture in this collection of Sadhguru’s articles on the subject.

Indian Culture

Editor’s Note: This article is based on an excerpt from the December 2014 issue of Forest Flower. Pay what you want and download. (set ‘0’ for free). Print subscriptions are also available.

I have heard that from people too and in a way it is true!

Imitating-Men is a very ugly thing, a women doing/could do to self. Men-women contain all that is human, from 'Talent to choices', but definitely they are entirely
different flavours, based on situation one of them fits the chart better, this
tuning is by nature for certain purposes. For many thousand years men has been a protector and provider, women has been a care-taker and nurturer, quality to have a womb, people are forcing a change in few decades, without any natural support, thorough blunder. For Ex:- Men and Women have courage, but Men can add violence naturally- he goes to war, Men and Women have strength, Men can grow big muscles at Gym, Women's strength is much mightier- she can carry a life in her womb and deliver. But, Women when they are all fine-tuned to imitate men,is so unsightly and allergic, they are only proving that they are feeling very insecure and inferior, that even being of different flavour by nature they are forcefully imitating men to feel supreme, this is the worst kind of surrender, and supporting this is just supporting chauvinism. Born as women, and a strong drive to imitate men its natural only in the special case of negligible number of women otherwise it is with the case of hermaphrodites who carry both qualities by birth. If intentionally created by women themselves it is not only anomaly, psychological issue , but anarchic also.

Feminine-is the tender side of human, lets protect it. May be it is high time men need to imitate feminine as majority of the population Men-Women are turning like male only society with senseless and harmful irrelevant pride, in doing so. Pranam Sadhguru.

You are absolutely right. I am an artist. My handwriting gets worse when i am thinking fast, analyzing. When I am not thinking and mind is calm it turns out beautiful. Faster I think the messier it gets.

Right , left from back or left, right from front which way are you talking Sadhguru ?

Whichever way you stand, in that position, you should see the right and left.

I'm a left hander by birth, Which hand i should use at nose while doing SugaKriya. I'm feeling tired holding right hand for long time.

I down you made me realised the importance of feet. Sadhguru I bow down

I would like to know the something about left hand importance people reading Quran, could any one throw some light on this. I bow down

Wonderful. Generally, left handed people are considered to have artistic skills such as painting, crafts etc. The feminine dimension associated with left (hand) gives the basis for this. I am left handed but my mom must have insisted that I become right handed and that's why my handwriting is so bad. Whatever I learnt as I grew up, I do with my left hand. I have become sort of ambidextrous now.

Those who are involved in the transcription must not randomly expunge parts of the actual discourse; Sadhguru had said, ''Men are becoming less masculine; women are becoming less feminine, which is a tragedy. ''

I'm right-handed, but my handwriting is also bad! But I read recently that - intelligent people have messier handwriting because they think fast! Haha :-D

You mean Sukha kriya - you must follow the instructions given by Sadhguru during the programme, that is, to use the right hand. He never asked left-handed people to use the left hand during sukha kriya...