Nirvana Shatakam - With Lyrics and Audio Download
Nirvana Shatakam, composed by Adi Shankara himself, embodies the spiritual pursuit. Watch the video or download the Nirvana Shatakam mp3.

Nirvana Shatakam, composed by Adi Shankaracharya over a thousand years ago, is one of the most well known among Sanskrit chants. Sadhguru looks at the significance of the chant and explores what is being conveyed through it.
Nirvana Shatakam sung by Isha Brahmacharis is part of Vairagya, an album of chants available as a free mobile App and as mp3 downloads.

The Sanskrit lyrics with English meanings are also given below.

Sadhguru: Nirvana means "formless."

The Nirvana Shatakam is towards this – you don’t want to be either this or that. If you don’t want to be this nor that, then what do you want to be? Your mind cannot understand this because your mind always wants to be something. If I say, “I don’t want to be this; I don’t want to be that,” you would think, “Oh something super!” Not super. “Oh, so emptiness?” Not emptiness. “Nothingness?” Not nothingness.

That’s what is being conveyed through this chant.

Isha Chants – Free Mobile App
Vairagya - mp3 download

Nirvana Shatakam

mano buddhi ahankara chittani naaham
na cha shrotravjihve na cha ghraana netre
na cha vyoma bhumir na tejo na vaayuhu
chidananda rupah shivo'ham shivo'ham

I am not the mind, the intellect, the ego or the memory,
I am not the ears, the skin, the nose or the eyes,
I am not space, not earth, not fire, water or wind,
I am the form of consciousness and bliss,
I am the eternal Shiva...

na cha prana sangyo na vai pancha vayuhu
na va sapta dhatur na va pancha koshah
na vak pani-padam na chopastha payu
chidananda rupah shivo'ham shivo'ham

I am not the breath, nor the five elements,
I am not matter, nor the 5 sheaths of consciousness
Nor am I the speech, the hands, or the feet,
I am the form of consciousness and bliss,
I am the eternal Shiva...

na me dvesha ragau na me lobha mohau
na me vai mado naiva matsarya bhavaha
na dharmo na chartho na kamo na mokshaha
chidananda rupah shivo'ham shivo'ham

There is no like or dislike in me, no greed or delusion,
I know not pride or jealousy,
I have no duty, no desire for wealth, lust or liberation,
I am the form of consciousness and bliss,
I am the eternal Shiva...

na punyam na papam na saukhyam na duhkham
na mantro na tirtham na veda na yajnah
aham bhojanam naiva bhojyam na bhokta
chidananda rupah shivo'ham shivo'ham

No virtue or vice, no pleasure or pain,
I need no mantras, no pilgrimage, no scriptures or rituals,
I am not the experienced, nor the experience itself,
I am the form of consciousness and bliss,
I am the eternal Shiva...

na me mrtyu shanka na mejati bhedaha
pita naiva me naiva mataa na janmaha
na bandhur na mitram gurur naiva shishyaha
chidananda rupah shivo'ham shivo'ham

I have no fear of death, no caste or creed,
I have no father, no mother, for I was never born,
I am not a relative, nor a friend, nor a teacher nor a student,
I am the form of consciousness and bliss,
I am the eternal Shiva...

aham nirvikalpo nirakara rupo
vibhut vatcha sarvatra sarvendriyanam
na cha sangatham naiva muktir na meyaha
chidananda rupah shivo'ham shivo'ham

I am devoid of duality, my form is formlessness,
I exist everywhere, pervading all senses,
I am neither attached, neither free nor captive,
I am the form of consciousness and bliss,
I am the eternal Shiva...

Editor's Note: To read about the significance of mantras, visit Sadhguru Spot on Becoming A Mantra.

You can find the other Mystic Chants here.

मनोबुद्ध्यहङ्कार चित्तानि नाहं

न बन्धुर्न मित्रं गुरुर्नैव शिष्यं
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥५॥

अहं निर्विकल्पो निराकाररूपो
विभुत्वाच्च सर्वत्र सर्वेन्द्रियाणाम् ।
न चासङ्गतं नैव मुक्तिर्न मेयः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥६॥

Shiva is Supreme Consciousness, called Para brahmam...who is omnipotent, omnipresence,this supreme what we called as self as well,this self is like a mirror image of brahmam, which cannot be explained by in words as this or that as it can be only experienced in deep samadhi (ultimate conscious state).hence becoming as Siva himself which is not this or that.

absolutely stunning album, can't stop listening to it... Thank you to everyone who made this possible. What a gift!

Thanks so... much...!!!

SADHGURU countless thanks Whenever I think of anything which I want from ISHA you are blessing me with it immediately. Thank You SADHGURU for your Blessings, Love and Grace...

wonderful album Vairaghya, in general, all Isha Music, is divine, grateful for all this. Pranams Sadhguru

can u give this manthara in tamil. thanks a lot

परम आदरणीय ... मैं श्री निर्वाण शतकम डाउनलोड करना चाह रहा हूँ , जिस से की रात्री को भी जब नेट उप्ल्भ्द ना हो तब भी सुन सकूं ; क्यों की रात्री की शांती में यह मन _चित्त को शांती देता है _ विशेषकर तब , जब यह आप के मंच पर संगीत मय से गाया गया है ! क्या मुझे ऑडियो फ़ाइल मिल सकेगी .... नमन

i love nirvana shatkam

hoooo. . . . i'm crying . . . .

Thank you Sadhguru....when Nirvana shatakam is on... 'I' am not there... totally dissolved into nothingness. I wish that status continues when it is off too.....

i lost myself in sounds of isha

When ever i listen to the nirvana shatakam, tears voluntarily flow from my eyes - also feeling a peace beyond comprehension. Thanks Satguru for your grace and blessings.

Namaskaram.. Thankuu for a wonderful android app..
Can u plz plz add more albums of isha sounds like ye devi, etc on isha android app.. Pleaseeee.. Coz it gets very easy to access from there..
Warm regards, sneha

Immense Gratitude Sadhguru! was waiting for this since the time I heard it first. love it.

Daily chant of this nirvana shatakam, surely liberates!

Can u please post the above lyrics and translation in the 'description' section of the youtube video.

Would be very useful to viewers who get to the video via youtube search, as they might not visit this page.

thanks

literally i was totally immersed, in the chant, it says everything, the facts, which nobody is ready to believe. infact i was so impressed about the reality of the world, I have named my son as nirvan. The vibrations in the chants are alarming, i swear. My kid Nirvan as Krishna on Krishna Janmastami.

namaskaram,
this chant has made me so pure and detach from outer world and start looking deeper inwards..Thanks to isha for creating this page and sharing it with the outer people and making them also pure and enlightened..

enjoying the mantras.thanks for sharing .thanks isha f oundationpriabashini

omg... gives me shivers _/_

Is there a specific reason why the penultimate stanza was left out of the video?

absolutely great

The word ' shiva' literally means THAT WHICH IS NOT.. ie,nothingness...Every line n ths song s to disidentify ourselves wit all the nonsense which we thought as ourselves and to arrive at the truth tat 'we are nothing' ...
Feel ths song wit ths understanding...it ill stirr u from the very root...

Sadguruji Pranams.
I express my gratitude for bringing out Nirvana Shatakam to reach Human society.
Thank you for your Blessings, Sadguruji.

Thanks Sadhguru.....Thanks for helping me to look inside and be nothing...it means a lot to me whenever i listened....I will be "My Self"
Please bring us all songs sung by Isha.....So rich in meaning.....

This is mind blowing i totally dissolve in this powerful chant

Thank you Sadhguru....Such a wonderfull song:):):) I love isha:

The Nirvana Shatkam is over powering. I helps in immersion - a beautiful experience. Thank you Sadhguru for everything .

It helped me in finding what i am.
It brought stability of my thoughts.
Thanks a million to Isha...

I have a doubt! I thought Shiva means which is everywhere, every-time, as everything. We cannot point this or that to be shiva. Everything is shiva. But in this song, the lyrics are like,

I am not the mind, the intellect, the ego or the memory,
I am not the ears, the skin, the nose or the eyes,
I am not space, not earth, not fire, water or wind, etc.....

But Shiva means earth too , fire too, water too , wind too, space too right.(Everything including nothing). If so, why they are telling like that.

If you have answer please feel free sending to muthamilnathan@gmail.com

Shivoham!!!!!!!! very powerful mantra.gives me goosebumps......actually when one listens to it, you can feel that "nothingness".....What are we NOTHING if there isn't GODLINESS in us.........and yes why look around for God........He is in us......

After first time I listened Nirvana Shatakam in Isha,I searched in Web for a copy for myself and found so many people sung Nirvana Shatakam but they were no where close to this. As always anything comes out of Isha is absolutely unique and this one they way it was presented shakes me up from within. Thank you Sadhguru for your blessings and grace.

1 year 9 months ago

Just listening to the chant wouldn't lead you to the path of Brahmcharya. But, if you have doubts or skeptical about, please refrain from listening/chanting to Nirvana Shatakam.

May be such that our mind clings to no thing

Mind blowing:)

Nothing more than NIRVANA SHATKAM for me in this life being. SADHGURU i just bow down to your feet.

i have doubt ,if anyone can clarify please reply asap,why in the audio of nirvana shatakam ,FIFTH STANZA is being skipped?

namaskar sir , which kind of net you are using which disconnect at night ?? lol....was it a joke ..by the way this video is available on youtube so if you want to dowload it fron your computer you can dounload it by using any youtube downloader like clipgrab and if you want to download it from your mobile phone you should download tubemate from http://tubemate.net . this is a youtube video's downloader ...enjoy downloading ..

Can Net banking facility could be used for making payments for music track downloads? Its great to have translation of Nirvana Shatakam. Thank you very much.