God is in Your Genes!

Sadhguru speaks about the science behind the system of gotras and kulas that were established in Indian culture, which show a deep understanding of genetics.
God is in Your Genes

Indian culture is incredibly complex and may resemble a chaos of mind-boggling proportions. But beneath this seeming chaos is a scientific foundation that is thousands of years old. The series "Why We Do What We Do", will look at the basis behind the various elements of Indian culture, and explain how even the minutest detail was geared towards a human being's immediate and ultimate wellbeing.

Questioner: What is the significance of giving one’s name, nakshatra and gotram while doing the abhishekam at Linga Bhairavi?

Sadhguru: These things were very significant and relevant when deities were created in a certain way. Indian culture was created with an understanding of the phenomenal complexity of life, but today this has become one big hotchpotch because invasions in the last 1800 years have seriously disturbed the instruments and institutions which transmitted this from generation to generation. Otherwise, this is a very sophisticated science.

At one time, every temple that was set up was a live temple. It was alive, not a doll that you go and worship. A live force was created of different calibers, categories, and qualities. People did not go to every temple. There were some temples which were for general wellbeing, where everybody went. But for specific purposes, people went only to their Kuladaivam (clan deity). This was a fabulous understanding of genetics and how it functions.

Today, scientists can dig up one little bone of someone who died a hundred years ago, take it to the laboratory, check that DNA and compare it with your DNA and say, “This was your grandfather.” You can do this even for someone who died ten thousand years ago. Science gives you this access. Similarly, for thousands of years, people maintained the genetic track in their own way – never mixing it up or doing anything which will disturb the track – so that their progeny come out well. Not only that, you can create a certain energy which travels through the track. Everybody in your kula (clan) need not go to the temple. You go and do the process and everyone benefits because everyone in that kula is connected. Right now, medical science is also heading in this direction. They can find something that works for your DNA, and all the people who have that type of DNA will benefit.

This was understood and genetic lines were maintained so strictly and an energy source was established for that particular DNA and genetic trend. When someone goes to the temple, they are not telling some God up there about their kula. They are just registering, “This is me, I belong to this line, this is my gotra, this is my nakshatra, this is my kula.” They are saying, “This is my DNA, do something for me.” It is the most scientific way of handling it. It is a wonderful understanding of life.

Pranams Sadhguru. Kula Gothra is the DNA of one's gene. As Sadhguru has told this, this is a authoirty to take tis as granted. Thank u for the msg that is avaiable with scicnce. As people commented, this has nothing to role with caste and greed.

but then how intercaste marriage will lead to Kulnaash?

Mothers dont contribute to gotra. The genes is tracked only from male and there is a strong valid reason for it

Just Epic!

Haven't you heard of in-breeding? Even today your family would protest if you wanted to marry your cousin. So does that make them Hitlers? Just because some megalomaniac went nuts and misunderstood science doesn't mean we shun it as evil.

Dear Sandeep-ji,

You are absolutely right. My oversight.

My intent was to write "pure human beings".

Thank you for your observation.

Warmest regards,
Deep

Dear Sadguru,

I am a blonde haired, blue eyed westerner from Australia. My family I grew up in were deeply Christian.

However I recall being obsessed with Indian people as a child. I was fascinated by the women and their saris and the little red spot on their foreheads. When I would play dress ups I would wrap a sheet around me and walk around blessing people lol. ( true story!)

Many years ago I felt such a draw to India and travelled there many times. It felt like home to me.

Recently I discovered there was Indian blood in my ancestry about 5 generations ago.

Do you think my drawing to India has some connection with my blood and genetics?

Thanks Sadhguru. Will like to know more

Talking about kula gotra people are wrongly relating that with caste which is a poetugese word casta. In bharat we only had jaati. Caste is a european mapping on bharateeya jaatis and we have happily accepted this mapping because of which people are now against caste and jaathi. Come out of the propaganda and look history as it was not how it was taught in our school book. This blogby sathguru is a good opening for that to understand jaathi varna kula gotra the way it is

Omniscient lord Krshna too answered in the GITA the Arjunas question on varnasaankarya (mixup of genetic configurations) as an undesirable change in the human society. People of kaliyug are Alpamedhaah ( less intelligent compared to other yugas) who think its narrow minded to follow a specific genetic track. Continuing a specific genetic track is actually sophisticated method as told by guruji

But how one know his kula and gotra... So please explain...

I never used the word evil but merely pointing out the lurking dangers of the "not one of us " mentality

In my experience what ever sadhguru told is to be taken in the right perceptive, it is for our well being only. so if any one understand wrongly it is their mistake. we should be with full awareness to receive the grace from the guru.

Sadhguru,

I agree kula,gothra connected with gene.Our anchestor memory will be stored in the double helix structure of our DNA.picture you mentioned above the first half portion is DNA structure that i can imagine with two snakes provided in the praharam of temples also we can take it as ida,pingala nadi as two snakes.

Fascinating read! Thank you for sharing this with us, Sadhguru!

Mixing of caste destroysthe entire genetic pattern and is not for good. Its kula naasam(destruction).

Every one had their own god called kula deivam as mentioned by sadhguru. So there was no need for one person to get into other temples of other kulams. U need to understand temple is not community hall or shopping complex where anyone can be let in. But as time passed due to invations this model was conciously destroyed and now we are taught to destroy jaathi kula in the name of individual freedom oF thought. So we are fighting against owr own system by opposing jaathi varna kula gotra model and we have accepted the new model in the name of democracy

I stongly agree to this line of thought.

This article is full of wrong science...

//This was a fabulous understanding of genetics and how it functions.//

The temples were based on caste/sub-caste rather than genes. When you marry someone outside your gotra, half the genes of your children (from the mom) is going to be outside that gotra. this article is more pseudo-science.

//Not only that, you can create a certain energy which travels through the track.//

What is the proof for this?

India does not have clearly defined races to be discriminated against.

Gotra is the genetic lineage. You wouldn't want to breed within your close family.

Totally right. I remember my grandma used to tell us stories that we are all descendants of the 5 sapta rishi's. The kula's and gotra's they mentioned originated from there. I trashed it then. But after studying genetics, I understood that they (sapta rishi's) were probably the source of the gene pool in this part of the world. There is a taboo about marrying within cousins and also brother sister (and within gotra's) in most cultures, except a few, the reason is genetics. This process of in-breeding was discouraged if not prohibited; because in case you are a carrier of a lethal gene (that is recessive in you because you also carry a dominant good gene that you inherited from another parent). The same is true in your sibling or cousin. However, if you marry your cousin or sibling and have children, the possibility of the child inheriting one copy of the bad gene from either parent is high, so the 2 recessive bad genes express and many debilitating diseases gets expressed; that otherwise should have remained suppressed. Plain genetics. That how the gene pool was maintained centuries back. The gotra's told people who understood it well our genetics. The rishis knew one specific gotra cannot be mixed with the gene pool of another particular gotra. Currently the gene pool has got mixed up, hence many genetically diseases suddenly strikes us, besides other factors. But because it has got so mixed up (gene pool) many bad genes have also got quite diluted. But we can't any more trace it, unless a DNA analysis is done. This had nothing to do with caste, but unfortunately like the degeneration of any practice, it started getting mis-interpreted and misused to declare ones supremacy over another. I think it was a really fantastic way to prevent genetically transmitted diseases when me knew nothing about the existence of DNA. Besides energy work that Sadhguru talks about.

This tells us about the kind of people and the knowledge they carried with them in this part of the world thousands years back.

So I think people are not getting it when Sadhguru mentions about this and thinks that he is supporting caste system etc. Even the origin of the caste system had a purpose, that too got degraded and misused. Sadhguru talks about that too. All these practices originated with a precise thought and a discipline. Cultures with its practices gets created, rises to its pinnacle and then gets destroyed because it gets corrupt to get created again. I think all this is absolutely fantastic.

Sadhguru

So after Love marriage the Kula & Gotra will be disturb ??? then how they maintained ? because now a day love marriage is Fancy in life !!! Please explain .....

totally new understanding about kula andnachatra

What I am interested in talking is to revive our temples were we all go for worship so that they could again become live energy centre to recharge ourselves?

For good reasons Castes, sub castes, religions and races are getting mixed up. Still the major problem in our society is ban of temple entry in some places for Dalits. Some temples ban entry for foreigners(even Hindus of Bali or Assam are not allowed). That is deeply disturbing. People have to evolve. Whether it is good or for bad Gothra and Kula will be dissolved in a couple of generations.

Many rishis lived in south india whose descendants are still around. They are likely to be relevant to your question.

Words are not enough to explain the true essence of what is beyond average experience. So Sadhguru says something (obviously for our well-being) and many average people like us may not perceive his words the way they are meant be understood. And therefore we should be thankful if some people amongst us raise questions. So that when Sadhguru replies to queries of that one person, the ignorance of many others who have the the same doubt, (or do not have the intelligence to even have a doubt) is dispelled. To you, the questions may seem dumb, audacious or even offensive. But Sadhguru will not misunderstand - he will reply as he has been asked.

I would simply like to hear from one who has benefitted from pooja and meditation done at the isha dhyana linga. Obviously, one does not have to be of a particular gothra. since it is universally available. What are the services the temple provides? the time, venue and registration ? Pranam Guruji.

Sadhguru, i have a question.. why does our parents say that it is always good to marry a girl or a boy from the same cast and gotra, is it so that they cant accept any other cast into their family or does that have any meaning deeper. please answer .

The question is why should I tell the Gothra to the Priest in Temple. Considering God is omniscience, omnipotent and knows my Gothra (DNA), I would prefer to pray. Do we really need this practice in this age? I would say Gothra is being used as undocumented racial discrimination in Hindu culture. I have personal experience where priest literally throw ashes on my hand whereas my other friend get it on their forehead ofcourse after telling the Gothra's..

Nithu - normally a girl and a boy from the same gothra cannot marry..for eg: if I belong to bharadwaja gotra..I cannot marry another girl from the same gotra.. going by Sadguru's logic and scientifically looking at it..two people from the same DNA string cannot marry bcos of possible complications which could arise to their offspring which is why I think it has come down that way over the ages..regarding your earlier question on why there is a minimum age for marraige.. I think it has a lot to do with both the physical and mental maturity of a boy or a girl..even though these maybe debatable.. its a bare minimum age where a person is considered to be of marriageable age.. even though in our earlier generation probably not very long ago..girls were married off at a very young age..and there was considerable age gap between the boy and girl..it was done more so with some purpose..for eg: if a girl was married at the age of 6 or 7 she would go and live with her husband only after the age of 17 or 18 once shes attained some physical maturity and to some extent mental maturity..hope I have answered your questions to some extent :)

Underage mothers are dangerous for themselves and the baby (if either survives). older parents' children have several developmental disorders.
Boys and girls develop reproductive maturity differently and at a slightly different age.

Nakshatra s based on ur birth date n time..kula n gothra, generally someone v old in ur family wud know..

i have one more question .. why our Indian law has specified the age for marriages.. and what role does an age difference between a boy and a girl play role in our life ..

Gosh, last 1800 years have destroyed india....we need to restore our greatness really fast....the glorious past needs to be restored..

Namaskaram,

How do we get to our gotra and nakshatra ?

My family doesn't know about theirs, so how will i get to know about mine ?

Pranams,
Neha

"5 sapta rishi's"

Sapta is 7. There are 7 of those. We are descendants of many more rishis (there are many more gotras).

this is also my line of thought.

This article is absolutely unscientific. Uses terms like DNA to promote hogwash. Real science teaches us that we are all homo sapiens, and further have common ancestors with every other species on earth.

Science is always cool,when sadhguru explains then its become more awesome no more words

Is this the reason why in India we have a caste system?

thanks for explaining and educating us SADGURU,your words were awesome.

I thought that the caste system was abolished by law years ago. Well, we don't use it in South America after 124 years. Most of the people of Indian origin never heard of it. Did we loose our DNA because of it? Maybe and maybe we just moved on to create a good Dharm.

Thank you Sadguru---Shambavi has transformed my life---Shyam from Powai Mumbai

For me Jaati is the your kingdom in nature. All humans are of one Jaati that is Manav Jaati. We are not of Tree Jaati, nor Animal Jaati. Only Human Jaati. Guru Nanak said: Manush ki Jaati Sabe, Ekahi Pahichanibo.

Well, This is what I was waiting for.
This is once again a transformational initiative.

I believe every human's DNA contains even the records of his past lives. The karmic chain is passed on through the DNA only. There is no junk content in the DNA. What is treated as junk is what scientists are not able to decipher. Please correct me If I am wrong

unfortunately the comments are misleading, sadhguru was just answering a question he is not giving any statements.

Love is a force far greater than any science. Love trumps any such DNA based kulas and gotras. We have had enough of it, and it has only created division, prejudice and hatred. Better to look at humans as humans, and give them the freedom to love and be with whoever they feel like.

This type acceptance of words without questioing after a period of time will make us followers, like religious people. Sadhguru in one of his recent posts has mentioned, if yor on the path pof yoga means you are ready to find out the truth of it experiantally, not by faith . Let the vedas say, let buddha say or let sadhguru himself say...you keep the option open & put it to test. Blind acceptance will be reverse step.

Thank you Guruji for the insight.
There is a difference between gotras and caste system. Gotras are lineage from a single male. while caste system in India is occupation based. In one gotra there can be many caste.

Nice

yr personal experience based on, what the priest did, is no way to discard ancient science, it will be better to explore & find the truth & even go further..

I wish this article gave more substantial evidence to this claim of. Statistical data, genetic lineage trends or comparisons, historical reference, verifiable recording, books, research material, scripture reference, lecture reference, even failed research papers, etc. etc. Because, you know any smart trickster (including scientists) can give answers nowadays like the old days when whoever said the sun was being swallowed by a snake. And and I bet there were loads of people then too who were inspired by those words filled with wisdom. "It is a a wonderful understanding of life."

Sadhguru,
It is said that one has to know ones gotra, nakshatra and rasi. Also praying to Ganesha, ones kula deivam is to be invoked and ishta deivam to be prayed.
Also one should not marry in same gotra. Largely HUF maternal uncle and uncle and auntys sons or daughters are married. Does this not violate the standard.
How do we reduce our pitru paap or karma as these accumulation adds up.
Plz explain the cause and effect and the remedy towards it.

R. Chandrakumar
Bangalore

true enough, Indian culture is one of the most complex and in order for someone to really understand about it, one must be able to take to study and trace the roots for everything that there is in Indian culture today are perhaps because of the history that they have but more than classifying people from their culture, religion, race, etc., we should also be open to change and be open-minded about the things happening around us and understanding it.

If a soul is a soul, then what is matured and immature soul? Is there any transformation? if there is, then you can also term it as pure and impure or what that matter can describe it with any adjective.

Sadhguru,

Excellent information, can you please let us know from where do you get so much information about our past

what the priest does is meaning less,just ignore

In reference to the last sentence, there is no pure or impure soul, A soul is just a soul and has the potential to be a mature soul by way of transformation!!

Swami sir,Namaskar:-)
please explain little more about Jaati.

So what about the dravidians who dont have any gothra. They all belong to shiva gothra. when you mention shiva gothra to any brahmin priest they look at you like you popped out of discovery or national geographic channel!!

Namaskaram Sadhguru is there anything as Rakshas gan, Manushya gan and Dev gan ? Could please throw some light on it, I bow down

Sadhguru,

While you are absolutely right on the kulas, gotras and genetics, I firmly believe that evolution of mankind has always come through the process of change. A better human being, or a better race, will only emerge if we evolve. It is a positive process. And it should be supported. Even by you.

While the global dynamics do not require us to shed our old faith, systems or belief, but, I strongly feel that we need to shed linkages between gotras and caste, kulas and protege families and genetics and the right to exist. I wouldn't know if these came into being over the last 1800 years, when our so-called Bharat was invaded relentlessly, or, it was there even prior to that. But the sheer existence of such disparities in today's world pull back the entire nation by ages.

As a follow-up to this writing, I would strongly urge you to share your thoughts on how these aberrations can be removed from our society. Else, I feel, you left this topic at a point where you are seemingly supporting the caste and creed divide ruining our country.

I am vocal in expressing the above thoughts because I know for sure that pure souls like you can definitely make a million move onto a path of righteousness.

I read this article and the name Hitler comes to mind!