Drumstick Soup Recipe
Today’s recipe is Drumstick Soup, rich with essential dietary minerals, protein, Vitamin C and beta-carotene. And it’s tasty too!
“Drumsticks” as a vegetable are the immature seed pods of Moringa oleifera, a fast-growing, medium-sized, drought-resistant tree that is native to the Himalayan foothills and today widely cultivated in tropical and sub-tropical areas from Asia to Africa and Latin America. Drumsticks are high in vitamin C, and a good source of dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium, and manganese. Drumstick leaves are highly nutritious not only for their protein content – they are also packed with beta-carotene, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and iron. Make sure to chew the leaves well to assimilate the maximum amount of nutrients. Now let’s get to the drumstick soup recipe.
Get weekly updates on the latest blogs via newsletters right in your mailbox.
- 2 Drumsticks
- 1 handful Drumstick blossoms (optional)
- 1 handful Drumstick leaves
- 1 small Tomato
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 cup Dal stock (preferably split mung dal, boiled with water until soft)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash the drumsticks; trim and chop them into finger-long pieces. Place in a pan with 2 cups of water and boil until soft. Squeeze out the pulp or scoop it out with a spoon. Keep the pulp aside. Discard the woody parts. Put the pulp in a mixer and blend until smooth.
- Chop the tomato into small pieces.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they splutter, add the drumstick blossoms, drumstick leaves, and tomato. Add the dal stock and allow it to boil.
- Cook until the mixture is homogenous, stirring continuously.
- Add the drumstick pulp and mix well. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
As the temperatures chill, warm your senses and nurture your body with this hot “Drumstick Soup”! Enjoy.
Editor’s Note: This article is based on an excerpt from the January 2014 issue of Forest Flower. Pay what you want and download. (set ‘0’ for free). Print subscriptions are also available.