Can Reiki and Pranic Healing Be Dangerous?
Sadhguru looks at how Reiki, pranic healing and other such practices are misguided, and can create far deeper suffering than they set out to relieve.

Can Reiki and Pranic Healing Be Dangerous?

Questioner: I have heard that Reiki, pranic healing and that sort of thing works on the karmic level and involves some sort of energy manipulation. Does it cause damage to practice these things?

Sadhguru: There are too many healers on the planet! A few years ago, one very popular healer from America came to Chennai and there was a huge campaign, and a big group of people gathered for healing on Chennai beach. People came and asked me, “Sadhguru, what is this healing? Should I go? I have this ailment, that ailment.”

I said, “If you want, I will gather the addresses of all the hospitals on the planet and provide it to the healers. If you want to heal the sick, you must go to the hospital. Why the beach? I thought healthy people go there!”

When a Con-job Turns Dangerous

I am not saying there is nothing at all to it. 90% of the time there is nothing to it, but 10% of the time there could be something to it. When there is nothing to it, I am okay with it. Suppose someone sells nothing to you, he is just a smart businessman and you are a little stupid, but no harm happens to you. You have the pleasure of shopping and he is doing business. Most of the time when you go to the mall, you only buy some “nothing,” isn’t it? You buy it, bring it home, and probably don’t even open the cover. Whatever you bought just stays there many a time, because it is about the shopping, not about what you get. They are satisfying your shopping quest by selling nothing to you; there is no harm happening to you. But now, if he sells you something which causes you harm, that is worse than selling you nothing. Nothing is just a clean con-job. It only costs money, it does not cost life. But this “something” can cost life. That 10% of the time when something does happen, that is when the danger is, and it is unnecessary.

Today with modern medicine, you can handle almost all infectious diseases. When you use any kind of medicine, it is an attempt to change the chemistry of the body with an external input. Because of this, the system suffers in some way. On one level, the medicine cures you of the disease, but on another level it creates a kind of suffering. When it goes beyond a certain point, we say side-effects have manifested themselves because of the drug. But with any kind of drug or any kind of input, there will always be some disturbance to the system. If you are doing yogic practices, you can distinctly see that when you go on medication, your system is not the same. Whenever you try to influence the inner chemistry with external chemicals, there will be a disturbance. There is a price to pay, but it is needed because the disease is a bigger problem for you. But chronic ailments have not come to you from any external organism.

With chronic ailments, the disease is just the surface. The symptom that you notice is just the tip of the iceberg. And like the proverbial tip of the iceberg, it is only a small portion. The ailment that a person suffers is the symptom, which is all you notice, but it is just a small portion of the problem which is elsewhere. Or in other words, the symptoms are like indicators.

The Root of the Problem

Whenever someone attempts any healing, they are always trying to remove the symptom, because that is what they consider as disease. If you take away the indicator, the root of the problem still exists. The indicator manifested itself on the physical body just to bring that root to your notice. Instead of taking notice of it and seeing what should be done about it, if you just wipe out the indicator, the root will take effect in a much more drastic way in your system. What was asthma can become a big accident or some other calamity in your life. It is possible.

If the root has to be removed, it cannot just be removed and dissolved like that. It has to be taken out and worked out in some way. These attempts to heal somebody are a very juvenile process, it is a very childish thing to do. People have not understood and experienced life in any great depth; they have seen life only in the physical dimension, so they believe that relieving a person of his physical pain at that moment is the greatest thing they can do. It is not so.

It is understandable that once the pain of the disease comes to you, you just want to be relieved, it does not matter how. But if you are beginning to feel life a little deeper than the physical body, you will see that how you get rid of your disease also matters.

Disease will go away if you dedicate enough attention to reorganizing your own energies. But you have to go through something. Just getting instant relief will relieve you in one way but bind you in some other way. No one who genuinely walks a spiritual path will ever attempt healing because it is a sure way of entangling yourself. Some of these things which have become famous around the globe today came from people who dropped out halfway through their spiritual process, after acquiring a little power. They wanted to use it and market themselves well.

At Isha, we teach you sadhana for liberation, to go beyond all your limitations. One can easily acquire such powers doing this sadhana, but we are taking a lot of care that you do not acquire any such thing. If you are on any live spiritual path, whoever is heading that place will always make sure that you never acquire any kinds of powers. We want to be ordinary, very ordinary – extra-ordinary. We don’t have the disease of wanting to become special by doing something that others cannot do. It is not necessary. In trying to play God, in some way you want to do something that other human beings cannot do. This can lead to lots of entanglement. These things are a sideshow. In India, as you approach any temple, there will be shops on both sides with all kinds of trinkets. If you get too drawn to these trinkets, you will never reach the sanctum sanctorum. By the time you go there, the doors will be closed.

Editor’s Note: Excerpted from the book “Body: The Greatest Gadget”, available at Isha Downloads.

What is the best way of working on one's Karma? Can we just like that assume that all chronic ailments are due to one's Karma and start working on that? Do all healers try to understand one's Karma of either the present life or previous life? Is it right for anybody to remove one's Karma?

Interesting. I am a Pranic Healer and I also follow and have respect for Sadguru. With this article, all I understand is that no matter how great a soul has grown, when he/she is in human form, error is possible. I guess Sadguru has missed to understand (or unaware of) the inner science in some genuine healing systems like Pranic Healing. I guess his intentions might be to make people beware of wrong systems or con people. But, unfortunately by generalizing it, he has over killed. Anyways, just sharing my recent learning; Superstitious is not only accepting something blindly, but also rejecting something blindly is superstitious!!

You all are humbly requested to use discernment as we are all grown ups and educated even Lord Buddha and our beloved Guru GMCKS have stated that every thing we hear or learn should be experienced and validated and not accept blindly
With due respect to the Guru of this school I request no one draws to conclusions just because the Guru has said evaluate it yourself any soul who knows light is knowledge love is understanding and power is learning all combined will lead us to be a practitioner may contact me FAQ GMCKS Pranic Healing and Arhatic Yoga + MEDITATION ON TWIN HEARTS nosdeguv@gmail.com introductory talk and meditation time required is 99 minutes approximately

You will have to follow spiritual practice under the guidance. You can do charity work, donate to needy people etc. A donation of about 10% of your income will be o.k. Do not do any harm to others and accept every person and situation as it is. Do not be judgememental about others even if you feel that they are wrong.

Nobody can remove other person's karma. A healer is only helping a person to work out his karma. He is thus doing a humanitarian service.

I humbly submit my doubt. Is that a person in spiritual path should not go for treatment. Does it hinder his spiritual progress. What if he experiences more physical pain. I have bulged spine with 3 disc deviations and got treated in alternate medical discipline (mixture of homeopathy, Siddha and ayurvedha) My pain is not completely gone. I am doing my Shambavi daily. What should i do my Sadhguru.

I think sadguru needs to revive his statements, learn the Pranic healing, heal or get healed . Then put light.?

Agreed. In other words one should try to purify his thoughts and develop a true Love towards all. Doing charity, etc., are all fine but the doer should not get a feeling that he is the doer and he is doing. It should just be an action, free from all egos and desire to become or achieve something.

How does this relate to reiki and pranic healing? Are you saying those practices only remove symptoms and still leave you with the source of the problem to remanifest?

This is a very restricted view of looking at things. Reiki does not focus on removing the symptoms only. Quacks may guarantee that. I feel spiritual gurus have a very skeptical view of Reiki. I practice Reiki on myself and it is holistic. It doesn't interfere with anything.

thanks sir. i totally surrender to sadhguru. let me attain in the feet of my sadhguru

Yes, you are right. Whatever we do should address the root cause, if possible. One's intelligence lies in such actions since the problem is totally removed without any negative side effects.

thank you sadhguru dev...

I follow you, but I disagree with this statements. I think you are misinformed.

I don't think sadguru is asking to avoid pranik healing. Whatever healing you do it should remove root cause and not just symptoms. We are getting chronic diseases due to karmic effects. That's all.

I am not biased and I'm still exploring different paths. This article is marketing / propaganda on its own in my personal opinion. It bashes other practices and only recommends what you do at the foundation. I feel like that in itself is juvenile with all due respect.

What I infer is, All the Chronic ailments are deep rooted into Karma, whoever corrects should go to the roots, there it will be like something else is done or provided to absorb that karma, uprooting somebodys karma is an elaborate process, there is a doubt whether healers are taking that much strain..!!!!!, else what you have understood is correct.

Who's sathguru, mine or yours?

Thanks for suggesting

Pls contact me if the problem still persists. I am a pranic healer and wish to help you.

9894598982

Pranic healing and reiky are spiritual practices like sadhana taught by Isha and it helps to remove not just symptoms. Continuous practice will remove the root cause itself.Healing is not completed in just one day.

Blunt comment...nothing to highlight... Have you ever been healed?

Garbage written by someone who does not understand Reiki.

Reiki is NOT the same as pranic healing. They are two very different systems.

If a "guru" has no knowledge of a system then they should not try to talk about that system. Not much of a guru - just someone trying to pass themselves off as more knowledgeable than they really are.

It also smacks of someone trying to discredit other systems to promote their own work.

Despicable!

This article is an excerpt from a book and not a direct answer to the question as such. It is more for SEO content by the web team.
I'm sure Jaggi Ji would have answered in a refined manner.

I feel you are doing the right thing. You are just not removing the symptoms. You are slowly working out the karma and unknowingly doing that.

This article is an excerpt from a book and not a direct answer to the
question as such. It is more for SEO content by the web team.
I'm sure Jaggi Ji would have answered in a refined manner.

BTW.. You have all the right to decide your future course of life. Spiritual freedom is given to disciples at any point of life.

God never wishes for you to suffer. If you can find a way to overcome suffering without harming anyone, its your good karma.
"Mathiyal vithiyai vellalam "

I am giving the comments sent by friend Mr subash who practices Pranic healing.

His comments are given below:

Hello
Narayanan, Thanks for forwarding this article..!! With due respect to
the author the following is our response:- While the article tries to
address some valid points there are some glaring loopholes in it. (1)
When some one implies that my path is the right & correct one and
rest all are juvenile then we need to be very careful of the statement.
It becomes more of a marketing statement. The truth is that one has to
choose the right path and right Guru which is most suitable to him/her.
All paths if followed and practiced correctly will lead to the same
final destination. (2) An impression is created that Energy Healing
Systems (Pranic Healing & Reiki etc) only address the symptoms and
not the root cause and hence are juvenile. This is absolutely not true
and comes out due to lack of knowledge of the system. In Pranic Healing
we all know that we not only heal using energy healing techniques we
also advise the patients to further practice (a) Law of forgiveness (b)
service and tithing etc.These are basically to address the root cause
and to partially neutralize the ancient negative Karma which are the
root cause of all problems. Hence we can see that the article is just
one sided and silent towards the higher truths. All the best. God Bless.

"Mathiyal vithiyai vellalam "

I am a reiki pratitionner, And I understand Sadhguru's point, but it does not apply to all healers, such as me.

The way I see my job, it is not to heal the person, but rather, give her the energy necessary to raise her consciousness, in order for the root cause to be identified, and then of cours, healing happens. But Reiki energy communicates with the body/mind/soul, and helps it find balance.

When doing Reiki, "normally", the pratitionner should not "force" the healing to occur, but simply channel the energy. The energy knows what to do.

Their should be no healing intention on the part of the practitionner because it either puts pressure on him and expectencies on the other person.

I do realize that not all healers see it as I do, which is what Sadhguru is pointing out, and maybe he's talking from having met such people.... but not all practitionner work this way :)

Ha, so many angry Pranic Healers here! I do not know enough yet to decide whether healing is just a way of entangling the healer and the healed. But I think that the Sadhguru is saying that this kind of healing comes at a cost to the practitioner. As for Master Choa, while I have been a practitioner of Pranic Healing,I understand that towards the end of his life he paid dearly for his 'special abilities'. Much energetic poison was sent his way and I do not know that he didn't succumb to it, like so many other 'masters'. Truly it is a dangerous path to walk to be a 'healer' who has the slightest ego. What is true healing? And who is being healed?

It may be true for most of people. But for those who suffer due to extreme karmic debts may need other help apart from following spiritual path.

" Miracles are fantastic events which utilize hidden laws of nature that most people are not aware of. Miracles do not break the laws of nature, they are actually based on them."
- Grand Master Choa Kok Sui

This man sadguru has commented on Pranic healing without even knowing a bit about it.. You don't have any right to comment negatively when you don't know about other field thoroughly, simply you are doing marketing about your "Isha" by commenting negatively on Pranic healing & others.

Master Choa Kok sui , who is a grand master & made Pranic healing to reach common man & has taugh Pranic healing to thousands of common people. He has never said Pranic healing is intended to replace any type of traditional medicine like allopathic, ayurveda or other. But rather to complement it.
Pranic healers never said they are doctors.. Lots of medical Doctors are practicing Pranic healing & they are doing Pranic healing to their patients.
So many prestigious hospitals all over the world have Pranic healing Units, even in India. Lots of phsycatric patients has been benefited tremendously & permanently,
Pranic healers has cured Asthma, bronchitis & many diseases. Major heart problems has been cured by Pranic healers, & we have records regarding those ailments.

Peoples are being misguided about Pranic healing by people like you. One should be open minded & accept the reality. Before giving invalid lectures, I request you, Please try to know about that field & then comment.. - Mysore Vadiraj
9962238396

If a person is on spiritual path these small things are not required.. Your mind and vision is broadened. Once that happens the karmic changes happen itself. Nothing really bothers you. :) what sadhguru says is right. We need not manipulate. Om

Sadhguru clearly states distinction between chronic illness and diseases that are due to external factors. For chronic illnesses, unless you get to the root of the problem , it is bound to manifest again. Of course I don't know much but I'm thinking for e.g.. if the disease is purely physical then once cured its gone for good. But if the pain or disease is due to blocked emotions, trauma,fibromyalgia etc. unless you do the work yourself of releasing those emotions and freeing yourself basically its temporary relief and shifting of energy around. that's my understanding.

You can try Pranic healing as well.

Hello dear nitish, Pranic healing has no side effects.. We shouldn't follow someone blindly.. Don't be a blind.. Open your eyes & try to find reality . sadguru is not aware of Pranic healing, that's why he has given such speeches by marketing his foundation. If he is sadguru, then he vl not do like that.

Please guide a wayout to get rid of pschizofrenia completely . Presently my 25 yr old daughter is on allopathic medicines. Tried to stop medicines once she became okay but proble comes back.

11 months 3 weeks ago

As a Pranic Healer and someone that has taken the Inner Engineering Course, I am sincerely saddened to come across this article. I took the Inner Engineering Course many years before becoming a Pranic Healer and had a very difficult experience. After the course that I took in person, I continued my practices at home with extreme adverse affects that sent me into a deep depression with physical pains. I contacted the center seeking guidance and help, after a few correspondences with modifications there was no improvement and it was suggested that I stop practicing. No one could or would explain to me what was happening. Now as a Pranic Healer, I can review that time and see the connection to my energy body. I had not done the purification necessary to raise the kundalini energy so quickly and with such force. We have energetic blocks that come from our karma, traumas, genetics, environments, diets, emotions and more. Pranic Healing is a means of removing this negative energy and replacing it with positive so that one can heal and progress on the spiritual path. Grand Master Choa Kok Sui engineered Modern Pranic Healing and Arhatic Yoga to support his students in all aspects of the modern life with explanations, protocols and support while always encouraging us to test it for ourselves before integration. These programs are more alike than expressed in this article, both teachers seek to provide their students with inner peace. Blessings to each and every person, may you find your way.

Pranic healing actually deals with the root cause .Moreover it takes time to start feeling better and is not an instant cure.Its kind of disappointing when someone I believe in is making comments that are not accurate

Not all healing vibrations or practices should be compared without being specific. Reiki is a natural healing vibration that helps the body relax and heal itself. Reiki will not cure a disease or remove a physical/mental symptom and should never be intended to do so. When you offer someone the Reiki vibration, they are in control of the amount of Reiki they want to receive. You cannot force someone to receive Reiki, which makes the person in control of their healing the entire time. Only once the body is relaxed can it's natural healing abilities kick in.

Having a consistent self care Reiki practice can help someone relax more frequently and in the long term avoid disease. You suggested there are too many healers, but I would argue that there are not enough. Everyone has the ability to become a natural healer and could benefit from a Reiki self care practice. I am curious on your thoughts about self healing. You brought up that healing can affecting someone's karma, but you did not share your thoughts on self healing.

I have two separate fusions done surgically, L4-L5 and C6-C7. If th epain is too much and cannot bear and is hindering your day to day life then surgery is the best option but you need to do very good research as how good the surgeon is. When we buy a TV or any other expensive item we do check reviews but when we put our health into some doctor's hands we mostly do not. Good research about the surgeon and interview him/her as deeply as you could including his/her success rate and choose the right surgeon. I did interview 5 surgeons and chose/hired the top one to work on my spine. I don't know about others who do not have this kind of pain but I surely and sorely do understand. Hope this helps.

9 months 1 week ago

I have been following Sadhguru's articles and youtube videos and I am an Arhatic Yogi who has learnt pranic healing. This article is a bit controversial on many logics. I really like what Sadhguru says, but this article springs from limited wholistic understanding of pranic healing. The purpose of pranic healing is to become independent of any other system to support your spiritual growth through Arhatic Yoga. Kundalini energy activation itself can pose a lot of health issues but Arhatic Yogis are made self sufficient to deal with it instead of having to reach out to any guru or external entity to help with fixing the health issue. I want to request Isha Yoga to please review the depth of Pranic Healing and Arhatic Yoga practices and provide an educated opinion. I would like to understand his thought process on these practices as I really like his way of educating