Is Coffee Your Cup of Tea?
Are you one of those people who cannot start the day without a strong, steaming cuppa? And yet have this nagging thought at the back of your head telling you that you need to cut back? Well, you are most certainly not alone.

Are you one of those people who cannot start the day without a strong, steaming cuppa?  And yet have this nagging thought at the back of your head telling you that you need to cut back? Well, you are most certainly not alone.

There have been countless debates over coffee in the world; the beverage has been blamed for many ills and also praised for its goodness. There are those who swear by coffee to fight diabetes and Parkinson’s disease, and others who are ready to attribute it to heart disease and cancer. While the experts continue to debate, what is the average, every day coffee-drinker to do? Perhaps, turn to Sadhguru for an answer…

Sadhguru:
Now, if you want to ascribe some goodness to coffee – yes, it definitely keeps you active, stimulated and makes you feel wonderful. Especially if you drink it once a month, you will see that it does incredible things to you, makes you feel superhuman. But if you drink coffee every day, your dependency increases. Your fears and anxieties are relieved for a while, but after sometime your body will begin to demand larger doses.

If you go off coffee for let’s say, two months or so, and then you drink a strong cup early in the morning, you will find your hands trembling. Now, if you drink coffee for six months straight and stop it for a day, you will find yourself having withdrawal symptoms. So, definitely it is causing some harm to the system, isn’t it?

So, should you give up coffee? What you give up is your choice. I will never tell you to give up this or that. All I am saying is – don’t live here as a slave to anything, whatever it might be. Instead, learn to live consciously. Whether it is coffee, or cigarettes, or God, learn to live consciously with everything. How much of what, only you can be the judge of that. But you must understand that if you abuse stimulants over a period of time, there will be a price. If you think, “After all, life is short. Instead of being 90, I will go at 70,” it’s fine. I’m not against this attitude, nor am I against coffee.

It is not something to be consumed compulsively. You like the taste of it; you drink the largest cup one day and really, thoroughly enjoy it. Once in a while you drink it, it’s fine. But if it is something you must do every day, then there is a problem. If your condition is such that if you don’t get your morning cup your day is ruined, then you need to do something about it. A stupid cup of coffee should not decide the quality of your life, isn’t it?

I’m not here to tell you what you should eat or what you should drink. I’m just telling you what this substance does to you. What you do to yourself should always be by choice; don’t do it in ignorance. Even if you walk into your death, you must do it consciously, that’s all I’m saying.

Maywong @Flickr

Brilliant..

rightly said. anything habit forming mkes one dependant on it and is consciously avoided. not compulsively. if it compulsion then we crave for it and return to the habit. doing anything consciously even in death as observed by sadguru is required. it is the essence of kaivalya upanishad

Even when I am aware about all this. Why am I so stubborn for a silly coffee

True words of wisdom. Two aspects here. The first is the physical effect. I am not talking about the damage that caffeine does, everyone is aware of that. I am talking about the physical tolerance and dependence that comes with habitual coffee-drinking. Attachment to outcome is the other issue here. If you are drinking coffee for how it makes you feel, and feel less when you do not drink, there is a problem.

Yes I agree nothing should dominate or rule your body but I don't think coffee or something else is harmful to your health, if taken in a moderate way, there is nothing bad having coffee at all ,,the imp is to fix the limit even it has to 'be done for the milk,or any other good things

..vj..

What is a habit, or pattern. Do plants have a habit of growing every spring, or a pattern of living till the end of summer ?

I completely agree to sadhguruji... I had the oppurtunity to watch the video conversation with juhi and guruji about housewives and working ladies....superbbbbbly explained... Since that day i m a huge follower of guruji...

So true.. I quit coffee and tea 6 months ago. Once in a while when I have a cup it feels amazing. I use it more like a medicine.

Anyone would know by now that in food and drinks, produced in Europe or US, are full of chemicals. So how can that be good for body and mind?

Coffee was only introduced in Asia after people were kidnapped from India/Indonesia and China to South America for labour in harsh circumstances in coffee plantations, rice fields, cocoa fields and also sugar cane fields. Processed food and drinks are killers, that's how illnesses and diseases begins. Looking back in India's history, i can't detect any coffee or tea nor drinking cowmilk, only coconut or almond milk.

Coffee, Tea Cigerettes were a must for me four years back, now I dont need them at all, having done inner engineering. On sundays I do sip a cup of coffee. Sadhguru's words are true wisdom.

Namaskaram reminds me of alai alai song in coffee shop

Actually they do. Dont they shed their leaves every fall and grow back in spring. Never heard of it? Just kidding.

there was a time i drink cafe everyday in the morning, without that i will not even do any activity.. Thank you sadhguru,, i removed that now :)

Its. 100% true. i 've stopped coffee 3 months ago. you should stop it to see the benefits by yourself. Thank you sadhguru. you are always right 1000%

perhaps the whole point here is not just referring to coffee but everything else we take and do in our lives, there should be a balance between everything--too much or too less of something is bad.

There are naturally low caffeine coffees out there as well as caffeine free versions that are void of what causes a lot of the dependency and addiction some people have to it. Likewise some teas have almost as much caffeine per ounce that coffee does typically black teas that have been steeped for long periods.

I love both, they are part of nature's bounty but moderation is key.

The point here is not about Coffee. It is basically anything that you are habituated to as a "must have". This goes to both people and things. There should never be a point where you say "I cannot live without this or this person". You are an entity of your own.