Be drunk all the time!

Sadhguru talks about intoxicants and their limited nature. He explains the reason why human beings drink and how it is not a question of morals but a question of whether you are for or against life. When you get in touch with what is within, it is the ultimate intoxication – without a hangover!

Read in Hindi: मुफ़्त का नशा @ 24×7

The wise said, ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away.’ But a drink a day keeps the doctor with you. Whatever variety of drink you have, whether wine or whiskey, it is playing on your chemistry to make you feel peaceful and relaxed; it is just soothening you a little bit. If a small quantity of it is so relaxing, then if you drink a bucket of it you must be really relaxed. But it does not work like that.

I am not against drink or pleasure. The question is not about, ‘Is this wrong or is this right?’ This is not about a moralistic standpoint. I just think it is a pity that human beings are settling for such small pleasures when something far bigger is possible within themselves. You can be drunk all the time. Free! No hangover and no doctor! The fundamental question is: Are you for life or against life? If you are for life, what is it that you call as life?

Right now, you know you are alive because you are alert enough. Suppose you fell asleep, do you know whether you are alive or dead? All experience has disappeared. Essentially in your experience of life, awareness is aliveness. How aware you are is how alive you are.

Because the experience of life is such: only what you are aware of exists for you; the rest does not exist for you. It does not matter what is present here, if you are not aware of it, it does not exist for you. Awareness is aliveness. But any kind of intoxication, it does not matter what kind, lowers your aliveness or awareness. This is why they are telling you, you cannot drive with a drink because it lowers your awareness.

If you become fully aware, instead of existing here as a piece of creation, as a piece of flesh and blood, you will exist as the creator himself. That is the choice you have. Either you live here as just a piece of creation or you live here as the creator himself.

If you want to exist as a creator, your awareness has to spread. But your depressions, your unhappiness, your confusions, your alcohol, everything is putting your awareness down. If all you are seeking is a little bit of pleasure, I am not against it. But if you are a pleasure seeker, wouldn’t you be interested if you were given an opportunity to have a much bigger pleasure? If you could learn how to be drunk all the time and fully alert, wouldn’t you be interested?

Editor's Note: Sadhguru has often remarked that humanity has sufficiently explored the material realm and is right now overripe for a spiritual process. If you’re interested, try out Isha Kriya

I am thankful for freedom from intoxicants. Doing my Sadhana and being alive in God has helped me grow both emotionally and spiritually.

Namaskaram...I wish to remain drunk and intoxicated for life in HIS thoughts...Bless me my master! I know nothing else can ever last...NamO namaha Sri Guru pAdukAbhyAm..

now it's time we head for bigger Pleasure!

Wonderful words. But I often face an issue. How do I ask someone to practice non-drinking. They always seem to have a point when they say "what is wrong in drinking, when everyone is doing it?". Is there a way I can make them understand, or should I just leave it to them to figure out?

I think drinking is the best thing.To each his own though.Why should I not drink,when I feel good after a few each night.I enjoy it.

Jaii GUrudev!!

These are excellent words. But I always face an issue. How do I ask someone to practice non-drinking. They always seem to have a point when they say "what is wrong in drinking when everyone is doing it".  Is there a way I could tell them or should i leave it for them to figure out.

Why do you have to convince some one? Btw did you not understand what is wrong from this article.
My 2 cents give them 5 min of your precious time tell them the harmful effects of drinking. If you cant convince then leave it to them to figure out. Show them the pictures of liver cirrhosis due to alcohol. Intelligent ones will stop it, for the rest it their Karma, which they have to go through.

Ahhhh....... Sadhguru, you have your unique ways of conveying the truth about life :)

That was absolutely one of the most beautiful articles I have ever had the pleasure in reading. After reading most of Sadhguru's articles, I am beginning to understand a pattern of life. When discussing big, complicated, and controversial topics on life, he always tends to sum it up so simple and clear. I believe we are first born with the knowledge then we go through way too much conditioning of over analyzing everything straight into going back to basics. Very Enlightened.

oh these words are really for me....sadhguru...GREAT WORDS

May be its time to Up your Drinking Level, "I am not against drink or pleasure. The question is not about, ‘Is this
wrong or is this right?’ This is not about a moralistic standpoint. I
just think it is a pity that human beings are settling for such small
pleasures when something far bigger is possible within themselves. You
can be drunk all the time. Free! No hangover and no doctor! The
fundamental question is: Are you for life or against life? If you are
for life, what is it that you call as life?"-Sadhguru

You need to teach us how to accomplish this Sadhguru!

Everything we need is already their in our body.. It is just how much we are aware of it so that we can enjoy it. I use to drink frequently but know I can see the difference and I can bet that no external content could give you that pleasure which is already within you... One very good example of it is self healing.

we are blessed with true technique of life.

When i was younger i drank very much alcohol and i smoked Cannabis, i thinked that drinking and smoking was a sort of meditation and i saw this like a mystic ritual, so i enjoyed to stay in the nature totaly drunk. But one day i saw that drinking and smoking so much poisoned me, so since this day i drink only water and i stopped smoking. I'm totaly agree with Sadhguru, this is not a moralistic standpoint but it's a healthy way to live more conscious without all species of drugs and poisons like alcohol. Alcohol is just a letal poison that kills many people. Just keep faith in you my friend.

Peace

[...] enough of that. This story is about alcohol. Yes- Sadhguru had written a memorable blog article, “Be Drunk all the Time” about using ‘spiritual means to seek constant intoxication’, proclaiming it as [...]

Yes my friend . In the past i woke up every day at 1 pm.. Now i go to sleep at 9 pm and i wake up at 5 am and do my Sadhana. Waking up early is a good way to live definitely. So i quit with smoking through meditation, all the desires about smoking they disappeared like a cloud! :-)))

:-)

Sadguru! U keep talking about getting drunk and high and to be like that always. But how? If we can be tht way would we want these lesser pleasures?

I feel this is his truth. My truth No matter how much i drink or intoxicate myself never changes, as long as I am aware of that, intoxication can become an aid to meditation. It is only when i become unaware that i have become truly intoxicated.

Dear Sadhguru,
Pranam,
Very well said , easy to understand but in stages of awareness , intelligence is required and that I think is gifted. Drinking or that matter consuming external things as habit is against life ,no moralistic connection is right way to explain.

Like Sadhguru said, you can say that drinking is fine... but there is something else that is much much better than that, which is free. If something better is available, why should we choose the inferior one. And you can take my words, because I have tried all those stuffs and now into what Sadhguru offers :)