Travel and Packing Guidelines for Samyama Program
Since the center (iii), is at 2000 feet elevation, the weather can fluctuate. Come prepared for wet weather and cool nights. Click here for local weather updates. Please pack a light jacket, layers of clothing, and extra shoes along with the following items:
- Please bring your own mattress or sleeping bag (if mattress hasn’t been purchased from shoppe)
- Please bring fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket(s), and a standard size pillowcase (all of them white in color). A pillow and cushion for sitting will be provided for each participant, upon request.
- Ear plugs & eye masks if needed (white in color).
- White fleece blanket.
- Medication – regular medication and additional medicines for common cold, cough, allergies, fever, diarrhoea, constipation, sore throat, headache, pain balm.
- Yoga Mat – if needed for your practices. (Can also be purchased at Isha Shoppe. Needs to covered with white sheet if the mat is any other color than white and if used inside Mahima.)
- Towel (quick dry towel is recommended).
- Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothpaste etc. for the 8 days of program).
- Flip-flops or indoor shoes (never worn outside) if desired for use in the lodges & bathrooms.
- Rain Jacket/Poncho or Umbrella (need not be white).
- In order to reduce the usage of disposables like paper cups and paper napkins during the program, we request that you to bring your own water bottle that can be refilled on campus and bring handkerchieves or travel size pack of napkins.
Note: There will be provision to store your jackets, rain jackets, umbrella and footwear outside the program hall. Hence they need not be white in color.
Late Night Arrival:
For those arriving late night until Thursday 29th March, the gates of the center will be closed from 9 PM till 6:30 AM CST . Hence please update the accurate arrival and departure time in your registration page and use this gate code 8053 to enter if you will be arriving late.
On Friday 30th March, check-in will be open through the night and the gates will remain open.
In order to avoid any delay in your check-in process, please ensure the following:
- Update your arrival and departure date by accessing your registration page
- Make sure that you complete your additional stay booking
- Carry your mobile phones with you while checking in and turn it in at the valuables counter
- Avoid carrying these items, if possible, else they must be turned in at valuables counter during check-in process: watch, laptop / tablet / iPad / iPod, music device / earphones / headphones, mirrors / shaving kit / hairdryer / snacks / edibles.
Special Needs / Food Allergies / Medical Conditions:
Please visit your registration page to list any special needs, food allergies or medical/ psychological conditions that iii needs to be aware of.
Before and after program: Please support the spiritual focus of the ashram by not wearing tight-fitting or revealing clothing, including short-shorts, tank tops, etc…
Simple, loose-fitting clothes in good condition are appropriate. Shoes are removed when entering all buildings and rooms including sleeping areas; indoor shoes/flip-flops (never worn outside) may be desired for lodges and bathrooms. Many paths are gravel or earth – comfortable shoes with a rugged sole are recommended. No food, no shoes, no photography inside buildings – Mahima, Adiyogi – Abode of Yoga.
During program: Participants are required to wear only white or orange-colored clothing. All orange tops must be purchased from Isha Shoppe. You cannot bring your own orange-colored tops because only a particular shade of orange is allowed. Pants must always be white in color. Orange pants are not allowed. If you bring your own white clothes, there should be no borders, logos, or design in color, even if it is orange. This includes tracks, dhotis, etc. In terms of material, cotton is best.
Ladies: The kurtas (thin cotton top) should be up to the knees. All clothes should be loose fitting.
Underpants must be worn. White is suitable.
All warm clothing carried in to the program hall must be white (e.g. shawl, thick blanket, scarf, sweater, wool hat, etc.). Make sure you have 8 sets of clothes or more.
Cell Phone Usage:
Cell phone or other forms of communication, either with family, friends or business during Samyama will not be allowed. Your complete focus and participation is needed to make the Samyama experience possible in a brief period of time. If any real emergency arises during that period, your family can call the IIIS Front Office at 931-668-1900.
Depending on demand, group shuttles are scheduled in advance from Nashville Airport (just over 2 hours from iii) and Chattanooga Airport (just over 1 hour from iii) and made available through our website.
Prior to booking your plane ticket, please determine shuttle availability. Make sure to allow extra time for possible flight delays, baggage claim, traffic, etc. Shuttle reservations will be accepted up to two days prior to program start date.
Important Note: Chattanooga is on Eastern Standard Time, iii is on Central Standard Time.
Rental Cars:Rental cars are available at the Chattanooga and Nashville Airports starting at $12/day. Rentalcars.com typically has the best price on car rentals.
For directions from nearby airports and major cities, click here: Driving Routes to iii Please print out directions before you depart, as our address doesn’t register in some GPS’s.