6 inch slice Ash gourd / winter melon
100 g Yam
10–12 Green beans
2 medium Carrots
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon Red chili powder
2 teaspoons Tamarind water
½ Fresh coconut
1 inch piece Ginger
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
2 Red chilies
2 tablespoons Coconut oil
1 cup Yoghurt / curd
½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
8–10 Curry leaves
Method of preparation:
- Peel ash gourd and yam and chop into 2 inch long pieces.
- Trim the drumstick and green beans and chop both into 2 inch long pieces.
- Scrape the carrots and cut them into 2 inch long pieces.
- Place all the vegetables (except the yam) in a plate and sprinkle with salt and ½ teaspoon red chili powder. Steam in the idli maker for 10 minutes.
- Put the yam in a pan and pour just enough water so as to cover it. Add the tamarind water, little salt and remaining red chili powder. Cook on low heat till soft.
- Grate the coconut and place in the jar of a mixer. Peel and chop the ginger and add. Also add the cumin seeds and red chilies and grind to a coarse mixture without using any water.
- Place the yam and steamed vegetables in a deep serving bowl and add the ground paste, 1½ tablespoons coconut oil and curd. Mix lightly.
- Heat the remaining coconut oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. As they begin to splutter add the curry leaves.
- Pour this tempering on the vegetables and mix.