Fresh Potpourri Salad
Here’s an interesting combo of veggies that’s healthy and can get the tastebuds going too.
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 5 min
Total time: 30 min
For the Salad:
Broccoli head : 1
Cucumber : 1
Yellow Capsicum : 1
Tomatoes : 2
Small Iceberg lettuce : 1/2
For the Dressing:
Red Capsicum : 1
Cashews : 50g
Juice of 1 Lemon
Ginger : 1 cm piece
Olive oil : 2 Tbsps
Cumin (jeera) powder : 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper (freshly ground) to taste
Salt to taste
fresh Coriander leaves (chopped; for garnish) : 6-8 Sprigs
- For the dressing, chargrill the red capsicum and remove from fire/oven when the skin is burned. Removed the charred skin, deseed the capsicum and cut it into pieces. Keep aside.
- Break the broccoli into florets. Blanch them in lightly salted water for about 3¬-4 minutes until they turn bright green. Drain and rinse the broccoli in cold water to prevent it from cooking further. Cut it into smaller pieces.
- Peel the cucumber. Chop into ½ inch squares.
- Cut the capsicum and tomatoes into ½ inch squares.
- Chop or tear the Iceberg lettuce into bite-sized pieces.
- Put the cucumber, tomato, capsicum, broccoli, and lettuce in a deep bowl.
- Now for the dressing, mix the chargrilled red capsicum pieces, cashews, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a blender to a smooth consistency. If necessary, add a little water achieve the right consistency.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss carefully. Serve garnished with fresh coriander.
- Tip: Sprinkle roasted cashew pieces on the salad before serving for a nutty flavor.
Editor’s Note: A version of this article was originally published in Isha Forest Flower April 2015. Download as PDF on a “name your price, no minimum” basis or subscribe to the print version.