How Can We Overcome Fear?

Why do we feel fear? What is its basis? In a short video, Sadhguru talks about fear, explaining its root cause and telling us how we can become free from it.
How Can We Overcome Fear?

Why do we feel fear and what is its basis? In this short clip taken from "One: The Movie" - a documentary about the meaning of life, Sadhguru talks about fear, explaining its root cause and telling us how we can become free from it.

Sadhguru: Fear is simply because you are not living with life, you are living in your mind. Your fear is always about what’s going to happen next. That means your fear is always about that which does not exist. If your fear is about the non-existent, your fear is hundred percent imaginary. If you are suffering the non-existential, we call that insanity. So, people may be in just socially accepted levels of insanity, but if you’re afraid or if you’re suffering anything which does not exist, it amounts to insanity, isn’t it?

People are always suffering either what happened yesterday or what may happen tomorrow. So your suffering is always about that which does not exist, simply because you’re not rooted in reality, you’re always rooted in your mind. Mind is – one part of it is memory, another part of it is imagination. Both of them are in one way imagination, because both of them don’t exist right now. You’re lost in your imagination, that’s the basis of your fear. If you were rooted in reality, there would be no fear.

Editor's note: What is your greatest fear and how do you deal with it? Let us know in the comments section.

My greatest fear is that the Ultimate Truth is not exist or is unreachable for me.

With sadhgurus grace and practicing kriyas regularly the way I look at life has changed totally. Sadhguru in one of his vidios on youtube said what you decide and feel in the phase of clarity just go by that,and now if such nonsence fears try to come I remember that at the time of clarity none of these fears is reality or need some action and I just go by that and it does not effect me then.

shame to say jii I'm 20 old
throughout ma life I have been a emotional and serious man
I dreamed too much ..like to become a great scientist like Einstein..
I went too deep in physics n theology
now I have a in uncontrolabe fear
according to me earth's own existence is very bad its moving tremendously even wen small shakes happen all life is gone....I am totally scared...this adds fuel to my miserable life please sathguru help me ..I wanna become a normal man
not a mad scientist... please
please
please....I m begging you..

Very well said, Sadhguru.. If one overcomes, then every second of his life becomes blissful and ecstatic.

it's actually 4 : 1. Ahaara(Food), 2. Needra(Sleep), 3. Maithuna(Sex) and 4. Bhaya(Fear)

Fear of enemies, this is a great task to deal. We can't really understand what's their next step towards us and we can't even continue with our job regardless of anything. What's the use of working regardless of anything when something is gonna hurt us physically or mentally?
Expecting answer from someone.

Sadhguru if u can read my comment then please look into this matter.....each word which u utter is logically sound and perfect....but the problem is i get it only at intellectual level....i thnk i just feel that i understand it....but in reality i dnt understand it ..otherwise how cum m not able to apply it practically.....its just abt anythng....name it FEAR...ANGER...etc etc....everythng is happening at unconcious level....nw even if i get the point that ANGER is actually poinsoning my system...it comes when it has to come...just reading or listening you is not helping me..... I dnt knw wht to do...i just wish that you are reading this...

Chant
1) Trayambakam Yajamahe...(MRUTYUNJAYA MANTRA) and
2) Gayathri Mantra

I always want to know what courage really is?
And if we are about to do something new or something which we are not good at, fear stops us from doing that. How to overcome that sort of fear?
And i have the fear that someone is controlling or incepting thoughts to my mind. I know im halucinating. Still im not able to recognize whether its real or hallucination. If i ask this question to myself, its going on endlessly. Please help me come out of it Sadhguru!

_/_

Well, I'm an Isha meditator. I just don't like watching horror movies because I feel scared when all the supernatural stuff is shown. It makes me very uneasy. When I or the other meditators explode in the presence of Sadhguru, I don't feel scared at all, I
really connect with that, but when it comes to horror films showing dark stuff, I feel scared, and so I can't watch them.

thank you for this great post Sadhguru, i myself am such a worrier i fear of so many things and many times have i been told they are irrational and with your post i think that this could be something where i could just finally come to my senses and learn to overcome it.

Hi this year I have had major problem in my business and even my personal life has gone for toss... At present I lack confidence and clarity to what should I do and I fear I'll b left with nothing in the end .... I was excellent while I use to work but due to lot of complications in personal life my focus is shifted ... How to I come out of fear that I'll not b able to stand again in life

Regards

And I really don't know how to deal with my fear, I just do my kriya regularly and deepen my sadhana :-)

This requires quite a long discussion of course. The object of fear is always loss. Loss of a child, health, wealth and finally life. But if fear is preventing one from living life to its full extent, then there is no point in living. Fear keeps us alive (survive), it is needed in some extent, fools rush in where angels fear to tread. But the whole reason of human life is that it is capable of living it grand. I've never been very fearful in my life, very vagabond-ish actually in spite of being married and having kids, but disappointed that I could not perceive life in its fullness, in its grandness inspite of having many things in life. It was not my fear, but a huge heaviness in my heart that when I die, I will die a sad person. That's when Sadhguru happened to me, and somehow everything changed, ridiculously overnight. Its been three years now, I am grateful for every breath I take and to all who enters my space. Just deal with a situation that comes your way in the best possible fashion, so what's the fear then?

Manu, keep in touch with Sadhguru through his video's , his chants and meditate on his picture (very powerful), besides the Shambhavi. Allow him into your space without any thought, just look and his picture, think of him and thank him for his presence in your life, believe me He is a magician. You will see how life becomes beautiful for you, though nothing changes from outside. Hope you soon feel His Grace on you.

My biggest fear which leaves me sleep less and anxiety is loosing my beloved ones I'm constantly scared when they travel I'm restless until they reach safely please HELP me to get out off this is security

Makes perfect sense, but this rests on the premise of separation and boundaries -
divorcing past from present from future, when we know that they are
intimately intertwined. The challenge is letting go of both, when both memory and imagination always shape the present moment.

sadhguru how do we overcome our past if we had an undesireable situation :) ur the best. i wish to become more intelligent sadhguru something is grappling me from exploring the boundaries of this existence my call is earnest ple listen :)

My way of understanding is... the three things are very basics of life existence of a body, ,1) Fear 2) hunger 3) sex,( for reproduction) it cant be eradicated fully till u leave your body, the same is endorsed by vadalur vallar also... To test the same, ask a person for 30 days be Hunger state, then produce a snake in front of this person, u see whether he runs or not! before he may not be able to walk , no energy, now after seeing the snake/chasing snake from where he gets full energy to RUN! like that think yourself for other two too..

F.E.A.R. False Evidence Appearing Real, as guru said lost in your imagination, is your mind still, yes or no,, use the tools Sadhguru is giving. every day every day every day or stay the same ,thinking thinking thinking thinking im so afraid im so afraid im so afraid. become alive by doing ,go do something for someone some thing physical and get your body moving.

All fear of any human being is about losing some thing. In fact loosing his life ie. death. Once you have the wisdom that any how only this body is going to die and death may not be the end & it may be a beautiful beginning, all fear comes to an end.
All sadanas are towards achieving his great wisdom only

prior to coming into the knowledge that there exist only two natural fears, 1) the fear of falling and 2) the fear of loud noises... I was full of fear because I was always dealing in my mind with things that I wanted to control which I had no possible control over... always attempting to predict what would happen next or trying to redo what had just taken place, made me fearful of that which did not exist and that which no longer existed.

Namaskaram,
From my personal experience just getting Shambhavi Mahamudra practices right got me out of much fearfulness and shyness that I had for longtime. This powerful tool practically drives me to the destination than words (To my understanding words are just like a direction pointer or a map to the destination. So map itself is not a destination).
Pranams.

My greatest fear is when someone near one goes away from me & when I lost them completely as they accept someone else & rejects me. It gives me nightmares. I tried a lot but it won't go away. In subconscious it comes again and again. Please suggest...

Well said Hari !

Thanks for your good words, I am also a strong follower of Sadhguru. I have lots of fears, anger, anguish, I would like to do yoga with Sadhguru, hope in this life time itself, I read his articles regularly, I will try to practice but it is very difficult. Tell me practically what to do?

My greatest fear would be of being alone.. of being isolated from and rejected by people.
I am a very introverted person, who likes being by herself a lot. So, sometimes when I feel like having company I don't seem to have any. But ofcourse, it's a natural consequence of not socializing much..

I deal with it, either in my mind -- which is trying not to think about it :)).. works, but doesn't alleviate the mood I get into.. or by doing Yoga, which I have seen lately, has some effect on my state of mind.. It's hard to pin point, what it is exactly.. It does something like clear a haze..

More than feeling alone.. it's actually the fear of not being known or needed or understood by people.. Isolation lies in that.