Mixed Avocado Salad with Crunchy Seeds
Here’s a fun, crunchy salad you can try when you’re looking for a light but delicious precursor to the main meal.
Yield: Serves 4
For the Salad
Get weekly updates on the latest blogs via newsletters right in your mailbox.
Ripe Avocado (butter fruit): 1
Pumpkin seeds: 1 tbsp
Sunflower seeds: 1 tbsp
White Sesame seeds: 1 tbsp
Grapes (or fresh pineapple chunks): 1 cup
Iceberg lettuce: 1 (medium-size)
For the Dressing
Ripe Avocado: 2
Juice of 1 Lime
Black Pepper powder (fresh, coarsely ground): 1 tsp
Olive oil: 4 tbsp
Salt : 1/2 tsp
Honey: 2 tbsp
Zest of 1 Lime
- Toast the pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame seeds in a lightly oiled pan until golden (not golden brown). Cool completely.
- Peel the avocado and cut into 1-inch-long slices.
- Wash the capsicums and cut into 1-inch squares.
- Cut the grapes in half (lengthwise). Deseed if necessary.
- Cut the iceberg lettuce into medium-size chunks.
- Puree the ingredients for the dressing in a mixer and keep it aside.
- Mix the salad vegetables and grapes in a big glass bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing on the salad just before serving. Toss the salad, taking care not to over-mix the ingredients. Sprinkle the toasted seeds on top.
- Note: If the seeds for garnish are not available, they can be replaced with cashew halves.
Editor’s Note: A version of this article was originally published in Isha Forest Flower January 2016. Download as PDF on a “name your price, no minimum” basis or subscribe to the print version.