Delicious Triple – Roasted Vegetables Recipes
Roasted vegetables are really versatile. Easy to make, they can serve as a side dish by themselves or as a great lunchtime wrap with pita bread/chapati or even just as a salad. Let’s take a look at three roasted vegetables recipe options.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 25 min
Yield: Serves 4
Yellow summer squash (or if not available, another zucchini (preferably yellow)) : 1
Big carrots : 2
Broccoli head : 1/2
Cabbage : 1/4
Red capsicum : 1
Yellow capsicum : 1
Green capsicum : 1
Coriander powder : 2 pinches
Fresh chopped ginger : 2 tsp
Dried Italian herbs : 1 tsp
Olive oil : 1/2 cup
Salt : 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder : 1/4 tsp
- Wash the vegetables. Peel the carrots. Take the zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots, first cut off both ends, then cut them on the bias (diagonally) into thumb-thick pieces. Keep each vegetable in a separate bowl.
- Deseed the capsicums. Cut them lengthwise into 2-cm-wide strips. Keep in a separate bowl.
- Cut the cabbage into 3 cm x 3 cm squares. Keep in a separate bowl.
- Cut broccoli into florets. Keep in a separate bowl.
- Blanche the cabbage in steam or boiling water. When cooked but still firm, take the cabbage out and cool it immediately in cold water to stop it from cooking; drain. Keep in separate bowl. Do the same for the broccoli.
- Mix the seasoning (salt, black pepper powder, coriander powder, fresh chopped ginger) and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Mix the carrot pieces with seasoning/oil mixture in a bowl. Do the same separately with all the other vegetables. Let them marinate for a few minutes.
- Option 1 – Sauté each vegetable separately in a flat iron pan until light brown on both sides. Keep aside.
- Option 2 – Grill the vegetables on a hot grill until light brown on both sides.
- Option 3 – Roast the vegetables in the oven: Preheat the oven at 250° C. Put each vegetable on a separate baking tray. Cook the zucchini, yellow squash, and capsicum for about 7–8 minutes; the carrots for 10–15 min. Check and when cooked but still firm, take them out; let cool a little bit. (The cabbage and broccoli are not cooked in the oven.)
- Mix all the vegetables, add the Italian herbs and rectify the seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the vegetables on a plate and serve.
Editor’s Note: This article is based on an excerpt from the December 2014 issue of Forest Flower. Pay what you want and download. (set ‘0’ for free). Print subscriptions are also available.