Mahalaya Amavasya is a special day dedicated to making an offering to express our gratitude to all the previous generations of people who have contributed to our life.
The Significance of Mahalaya Amavasya
Sadhguru: Without the generations that came before us, firstly we would not exist here; secondly, without their contribution we would not have all the things that we have today. Mahalaya Amavasya is a day when we express our gratitude to all of them. It is done as a ritual to pay homage to one’s dead parents, but is actually an expression of gratitude for all those generations of ancestors who lived before us.
Kalabhairava Shanti is a sacred ritual that can be performed after the death of a loved one, on any Amavasya night. A special annual Kalabhairava Shanti is conducted on Mahalaya Amavasya.
- Photograph of the deceased
- Name of the deceased
- Date of birth or exact year of birth and date of death or exact year of death OR Names of both mother and father of the deceased.
- An individual photo of the deceased is needed. A group photo cannot be used for the process. The photo should have been taken when the person was alive.
- In case of abortion after 48 days or a stillborn infant, a photo of the mother (preferably taken during pregnancy) should be used instead.
- It is advised that ladies who are pregnant or on their menstrual cycle should not come for the Kalabhairava Shanti process, as it is not conducive for their wellbeing.
- One can also register for the process for the next 10 years at once.
An offering of fire to Devi Linga Bhairavi, as an expression of gratitude for everyone and everything that has contributed to and nurtured our lives. This process can be done for all of the ancestors and departed relatives for whom one does not have names, photos, or any of their details. Register Now
Registrations close on 4 Oct at 10 PM IST. (Available only for those in India)
Registration can be done at all Tamil Nadu local centers.
An offering of fire to Devi Linga Bhairavi, as an expression of gratitude for everything and everyone who has contributed and nurtured our lives. This process can be done for all of the ancestors and departed relatives, for whom one does not have names/photos/any of their details.
(Available only for those in India)
In honor of your ancestors, make a sacred offering of food, which will provide sustenance for spiritual seekers in the ashram.