Isha Hatha School of Yoga delivers classical Hatha Yoga in its full depth and dimension. It is Sadhguru’s vision to offer this ancient science in all its purity and make it available to every individual. As a step towards realizing this vision, he has devised the Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program. In this program, Hatha Yoga is taught as a living experience in the beautiful ashram setting of the Isha Yoga Center, India under the grace of a living master. Upon completion of the program, trainees will have the privilege and fulfillment of bringing this knowledge to many more people. The 21-week Hatha Yoga Teacher Training course is an unparalleled opportunity to explore a yogic tradition which has been maintained in its full sanctity and vibrancy for thousands of years.The program commences on the auspicious day of Guru Purnima, and is conducted in Adiyogi Alayam, a specially created space for imparting Hatha Yoga at the Isha Yoga Center. Program aspects include powerful sadhanas, intensive training to teach yogic practices, and various other complementary aspects. The curriculum does not include just the teaching of asanas, but ensures the trainees absorb the yogic way of life. Upon successful completion of the program, the trainees are certified by Isha to teach hatha yoga and will receive post-training support.
Sadhguru: In the tradition, once we use the word “yoga” attached to anything, it indicates that it is a complete path by itself. “Hatha” has the word “yoga” attached to it because hatha yoga is a complete path by itself. If it is a complete path by itself, how it should be approached is the question. If it was just a simple practice, you can approach it one way. If it was an exercise, you could have approached it another way. If it was an art form, it could be approached another way. Or if it is just entertainment, it could be approached another way.I am using all these examples because all these things have been said about yoga, and they are still in usage in today’s world. People say “recreational yoga,” “health yoga”– people are referring to it as an art form. They think they are doing yoga a service by calling it an art form. No. The moment you attach the word “yoga,” it indicates it is a complete path by itself.In most Indian languages, in common usage, the word “hatha” means being adamant. This is the quality that you will need. Your body says, “Enough, I had it.” But you are adamant. This is hatha yoga. Your mind says, “I give up, I can’t do this anymore.” But you are adamant, you simply do it. We want to take the physical form beyond its present levels of limitations. In a way, hatha yoga means you want to make your comfort zone universal. Right now, for most people, their comfort zone is a very small band. If you make your comfort zone universal, wherever you are, however you are, you are at ease. If I make you stand on your head, you are still at ease. Hell will not work for you; you are adamant enough to frustrate the devil!Hatha yoga is about creating a body which is not a hurdle in one’s life. The body becomes a stepping stone—not a hurdle, not a roadblock—in one’s progress of blossoming into his ultimate possibility.
Learn Classical Hatha Yoga through a program designed by Sadhguru, a live master and yogi
Spend 5 months dedicated to deepening your own practice and learning to teach the systems of Upa-Yoga, Angamardana, Surya Kriya, Surya Shakti and Yogasanas
Live and practice in the Adiyogi Alayam, a consecrated space specially designed by Sadhguru for learning Hatha Yoga
Be trained by highly qualified and inspiring teachers who are directly trained and guided by Sadhguru
Train with dedicated individuals from around the world, creating a rich multicultural experience and broad network of colleagues
Participate in a variety of celebrations, events and special occasions at the Yoga Center, including:
Powerful processes like Pancha Bhuta Aradhana at Dhyanalinga and Purnima Abhishekam at Linga Bhairavi
Festivals and celebrations at the Yoga Center
Basic and advanced Isha Yoga Programs conducted at the Center
Trainees will learn and explore the following practices as a part of the training:
A simple yet powerful set of ten practices that activate the joints, muscles and energy system, bringing ease to the whole system.
A series of 31 dynamic processes rooted in yoga, to invigorate the body and reach peak physical fitness. “Angamardana” means gaining complete mastery over the limbs.
Hatha Yoga is offered as a set of 21 powerful postures, or yogasanas, through which one can transform the body and mind into a possibility for ultimate wellbeing.
Bhuta Shuddhi means “purification of the elements.” The wellbeing of the body and mind can be established by purifying the five elements within the human system.
Surya Shakti is to energize the system to a different dimension. This 18-step process also helps to strengthen the ligaments that hold the skeletal and muscular structure together.
The Mantra Yoga process includes an initiation into AUM chanting. AUM chanting is a powerful practice that aligns the three fundamental aspects of the system – body, mind and energy.
When practiced daily, this simple meditation can strengthen one’s physical and mental constitution and bring about tremendous balance and wellbeing.
Experience guided meditations, which can bring health, dynamism, peace and wellbeing into one’s life.
Students will learn the relevance and application of these foundational principles to the practice of yoga:
Trainees will learn how to prepare more than 48 different modules, including 1‐day, 3‐day, 1‐week, 2‐week, and 1‐month modules, as well as drop-in classes. Trainees will learn how to prescribe different modules based on participant needs, as well as receive real-life training on different class situations that may arise.
Trainees will have the unique opportunity to visit places in Southern India which are of significance to the yogic tradition, as well as perform site-specific sadhana specifically devised by Sadhguru to evolve one’s inner experience, appreciation, and understanding of the science of yoga. Trainees will also have the rare opportunity to take a pilgrimage to some of Southern India’s most powerful sites, located in the nearby Velliangiri Mountains.
A powerful process of Bhuta Shuddhi, purification of the five elements, will be offered to participants at the Dhyanalinga, on a specific day of the month known as Shivratri. The qualities of each of the five elements are made accessible through a powerful process involving mantra (sound), yantra (form), tantra (technology), and sarvanga sadhana (using the human body as an instrument of worship). The material form of each element, along with its corresponding mantra and an elaborate series of movements, are designed to create a certain reverberation, thus harmonizing this element within the human system.
• Powerful processes and spiritually significant occasions that take place at the Dhyanalinga and Linga Bhairavi.
• Festivals and celebrations at the Yoga Center, including Guru Purnima, Krishna Jayanti, Diwali and Dusshera.
• Basic and advanced Isha Yoga Programs conducted at the Center.
• Volunteering activities at the ashram, which will also help in making one more receptive to the process of yoga.
• After careful assessment, those trainees that meet the requirements for successful completion will receive certification to teach Isha Hatha Yoga as an independent teacher.
• For certified teachers, post‐training support will be provided by Isha on various levels. A continuing training process will be required for teachers to maintain their certification on an ongoing basis.
Accommodation is provided within the premises. Two trainees will share a room. Single and A/C accommodations are also available at an additional cost. Please note that men and women will be given separate accommodations. However, if you are attending the program with your spouse and would like to stay together, please indicate this in your application form.
• Attending the Inner Engineering (full course with initiation into Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya) and also attending at least one Isha Hatha Yoga program (e.g. Surya Kriya, Yogasanas) are mandatory to participate in the training program. Also, it is essential that you be in good mental, emotional and physical health due to the rigorous nature of the schedule and activity.
• Participating in advanced Isha Foundation programs (BSP, Shoonya) is highly recommended. These simple but powerful energy processes for inner transformation will greatly enhance your experience of the training.
Note: For more details please refer to FAQ section.
• The course requires personal discipline, involvement, dedication, and commitment to the process offered.
• 100% attendance in all classes is mandatory.
• Trainees are expected to follow the program schedule strictly.
• Trainees must stay in the Center’s premises for the duration of the program.
• Alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs are prohibited in the Center’s premises.
• The course does not encourage personal relationships amongst Trainees.
• Trainees must have their own health insurance for the duration of their stay at the Center.
• The program fee for the 21 weeks Hatha Yoga Teacher’s training program is INR 6,75,000 (for overseas participants) / INR 5,50,000 (for Indian citizens residing in India) for about 1750 hours of training.
• Accommodation rent would be extra based on the category of accommodation opted for, starting from INR 75,000 (for overseas participants) and INR 50,000 (for Indian citizens residing in India).
• The program fee covers all aspects of the program including training materials, and trips.
Interview: Multiple rounds of interviews would be conducted before the decision for admission is made.
Response: Within 2-3 months the decision will be communicated.
Application fee: An application fee of INR 500 will need to be paid after the application is submitted.
Coming to Isha was the best decision I ever made and I've never been so happy in my whole life. Even the greatest joy I felt before was only a shadow of the sense of connection and bliss I have now. There is something so precious and beautiful which I have found here. I'm discovering aspects of myself I never even knew existed. Learning things I had no idea I didn't know. Growing in ways I never imagined were possible. I don't know where this will lead but right now everything is as it should be, and it's all thanks to Sadhguru. I want to make the rest of my life a tribute to Isha, striving to fulfil Sadhguru's dream and spreading his message to all those I come in contact with. Something that's always been in me resonates with what happens here at Isha; everything comes so naturally - humility, grace, gentleness, compassion, generosity... it's all the best parts of me which I get to explore! Each hour I spent learning was blissful and challenging - as a seed must break open in order for the plant to grow. Thankfully my teachers were as caring as they were wise, acting as role models for the intensity and integrity which I aspire to develop in myself.