Nothing beats the beets to help detox your system. Give this crunchy beetroot salad a try today!
1 Beetroot (medium size)
1 tablespoon Coconut (grated)
2 teaspoons Mango (chopped fine)
1 teaspoon Coriander leaves (chopped fine)
2 teaspoons Peanuts (soaked or roasted)
½ teaspoon Pepper powder
½ teaspoon Salt
For the seasoning:
½ teaspoon Sesame/Olive oil
½ teaspoon Mustard
½ teaspoon Split, husked black gram/Urad dal
¼ teaspoon Chickpea/Bengal gram dal
½ teaspoon Shredded curry leaves
- Wash the beetroot thoroughly to remove dirt and mud. Peel the skin off and finely grate it.
- Place the grated beetroot in a clean fine cloth and lightly squeeze out some juice. Or place it in a fine strainer and press to remove juice. Keep the juice aside.
- In a wok/saucepan, pour the oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the Urad and chickpea dal and brown it, add curry leaves and sauté lightly. Cool it.
- Add the grated, strained beetroot.
- Mix in the juice of one lemon, the chopped mango pieces, grated coconut, salt, pepper powder, and the peanuts. Nicely stir all the ingredients.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve chilled if possible.
Tasty Tip: Be innovative and add grated radish, or carrots to this salad.
Beetroot is a rich source of carbohydrates, protein, important vitamins, minerals and micronutrients. The vegetable contains potassium, magnesium, folic acid, iron, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, niacin, biotin, betanin and beta-carotene. It also has important vitamins like A, B6 and C, as well as antioxidants and soluble fiber.
In traditional medicine, beetroot is used to treat a variety of conditions, especially illnesses relating to digestion and blood.