You Got to Die
This week’s Spot highlights the 30th anniversary of Sadhguru’s enlightenment. Sadhguru speaks of his own experience, and inspires us to go beyond our limitations to reach the ultimate. “It is just a reminder that what you think as ‘yourself’ is a make-believe projection of your mind. If you kill it, then everything is right here, life is a flood of ecstasy.”

Thirty years ago, on that evening when I shook myself out of a flood of ecstasy and realization, I thought, ‘This is it, this is so simple. I am going to set the whole world on fire.’ Since then, very slowly but steadily, the world has been trying to humble me to reduce the size of my geographical boundaries. I am not complaining about the world. I think as life comes, internally there is no question, it has come in the best possible way to me. Even externally, it has come in the best possible way to me, so I cannot complain. But still, it intrigues me, it bothers me, I have still not learnt a lesson in thirty years. Though I have started speaking to people with reduced goals, within myself I still burn with the passion, ‘Why can’t it happen to everybody?’ Because logically, I cannot find a single reason why everybody cannot have it. I cannot find a single reason in my intelligence as to why it is not possible.

There are many glorious names to this which are out of people’s understanding. People call this ‘enlightenment’ - that means, of course, it is beyond you. People call this ‘God-realization’ - it is up in heaven, you cannot touch it. People call it simply ‘self-realization’ - a more humble description. Or, it is just an ‘awakening’. I call it a reminder. You can be reminded in many ways. Tomorrow morning, you have to wake up at a certain time. You could be reminded by yourself; if you cannot, you can have an alarm bell which beeps. Otherwise, somebody will beat a drum, or somebody will kick you awake. The choice is yours, but you could be awakened, or we can remind you. It is just a reminder, it is not an achievement. It is not about going somewhere.

This happened…a woman was on a river bank. It looked so beautiful - the expanse of the river and the other side of the bank. Then she noticed there was another woman on the other side. So she called out and said, ‘How do I get to the other side?’ That woman looked up and down the river looking for a solution, then she looked at her and said, ‘You are on the other side.’

It is that simple, it is that obvious, but we were given a mind of a certain competence. I know these days people are telling you that you should become a ‘no-mind’. A lot of people already are, and that is the biggest problem on the planet. The biggest problem on the planet is just that quite a few people are refusing to use their mind. This mind is given to you so that you can project, you can think of the next moment, tomorrow, a thousand years, a million years, backwards or forwards, depending upon what your profession is - whether you are a historian or an astrologer. You are playing this game, oscillating between these two professions all the time. Some are lamenting about yesterday, some are looking forward to something glorious or fearful about tomorrow. You are either functioning as a historian or as an astrologer. This is constantly happening.  Nothing wrong - this is the capability of the mind and it is fantastic. The only problem is the projections become so real, they will obliterate the reality.  And the projections are coming from a certain package of compulsions which are physiological, chemical, hormone-based, karmic and social - so many kinds of compulsions. Because the body and mind are functioning from these compulsions, simply being reminded of the nature of your existence seems to be so complex.

In a Sunday school, a teacher wanted to inspire the children to aim for the highest. In Sunday school, in a church school, the highest is heaven of course, not God. So the teacher asked the children, ‘If I give my wealth away to the church and serve the church, will I go to heaven?’ The children in unison said, ‘No!’ Then he asked, ‘If I serve the poor, wash the leper’s feet and wipe the tears of a child’s face, will I go to heaven?’ The children said, ‘No!’ Then he asked, ‘If I love my wife, love my children, take care of my family, do my duty to my nation, will I go to heaven?’ They said, ‘No!’ Then he asked, ‘Then what should I do to go to heaven?’ Little Tommy from the backbench said, ‘You got to die.’

That is all it is, you got to die. This is the only problem. It is just a reminder that what you think as ‘yourself’ is a make-believe projection of your mind. If you kill it, then everything is right here, life is a flood of ecstasy. You don’t have to kill the world; you just have to kill ‘this one’. You have no business to kill the body because you didn’t make it. You have every right to kill all that you have created; you have no right to kill what the Creator has created. Nobody has any business to kill anything that you cannot create. But the person that you call as ‘myself’ is all your making. If you just kill that one guy, everything, the whole universe is yours.

This is a tradeoff - me or the cosmos? One who makes the deal is not asking for currency, just you. This is all the tradeoff is, this is all the whole business of enlightenment is. ‘God-realization’, ‘awakening’, ‘reminder’ - whatever you call it, this is all it is. Just kill what you have created; the Creator’s creation will explode within you.

Love and Grace,

*Excerpted from the Sathsang of 23 Sept 2012, the 30th anniversary of Sadhguru’s enlightenment.

mistake of very very few peoples in ancient times  , and some wrong principals , and the main cause of every things was only one cause , and some bad wisdoms .

I am in such a bliss to have read something that makes use of such simple and humble words yet with a very deep meaning. Thank you once again Sadhguru.

Things can not be put more simple than this.
Are we listening

cause of every bad happenings from the very ancient times -----------------            from the very ancient time one curse is coming on . even gods and devatas 's  souls were also affected by the curse of evil thoughts of KAMA (sex) and KAM(sex) .

when any god or anyone would had created male and female ,some god would had invented the sex and thoughts of sex (kam) for the birth for childrens   .at those times it may be the requirement  for the birth of childrens .  but after words became curse  .  and was misused and was used as a tool for the destructions .

if there would had been no evil thoughts of sex(kama ) which causes insult and hates . never  no one would had been insulted and  evil thoughts was the main cause of every quarrel, every insult and every destructions .

if at those ancients times some wise ,noble  peoples , god  would had thought of evil effects and would had  taken wise decissions for the betterment for others , no ramayana, no mahabhartha , no war ,no fight ,no quarrels , in puranic (ancients) times and now nothing would had/have not taken place .and many and many  peoples would had not become the victims .

every one was not born with the nature's good grace of good qualities and the good fate and luck to have good inteligence , good wisdom , good qualities , and circuimstances not to commiting ever any mistakes or sins .  the peoples , gods , devtas , souls , which were doing bad ,wrong things  and cruelities were also victim of bad fate and  bad  qualities , bad wisdim ( बुदधि  ) .

every human every soul ,every molecule  either  good or bad , angle or evil , sinner , demon ,  god or devil  every creature  , every one want to live as  a  good  humanbeing

Sadhguru thanks for the post.
Atleast how to reduce this myself. Its so high in me I am thnking about it altimes

Yes! I have to kill "Myself"!

Dear sadhguru...your intelligence can't find one single reason why everybody can't have it....but when i look at me....i can see thousands of reasons....m too much attached with the things..with me....etc...even though i have seen people dying...still i can't simply get the fact that i m going to die one day...i do have this knowledge that i will die....but i dnt have knowing....help me....

Beautifully put " You can only Kill what you have created, which is mind, and than creation will explode within "
Sadhguru's words are always doing this task very efficiently at one level it is killing mind and at another level it is filling with bliss.

Blissed out again Sadhguru !!

Truly learnt so much from reading this.....learn to keep an OPEN MIND AND OPEN HEART...PEACE......IS A WONDERFUL GIFT

where hindi sadhguru blog

Thanks sadguru............feeling your presence with me  n within me ...........

Gratitude.........

Yes. He means you have to kill what you perceive to be yourself- i.e., not the body but beliefs of the mind. Well put!

The real problem in this world is not obesity of the body but one of the mind. The bloated mind acts as the biggest hurdle in receiving Sadhguru's grace. This is what happens when I go around trying to get some of my friends to do the Isha yoga programs. Sadhguru - a being of infinite compassion and grace ever willing to share all that He has got and I feel tremendously lucky to be living and experiencing His presence in so many ways.
Pranams

Sadguru makes it mathematical where the solution is assured.

Oh Sadhguru, you explain the process so simple, yet very forcefully. Only if I could kill the mindset "Myself an me only" attitude could come near to the realisation. Pls bless me to attain that. Pranam

Sadhguru - What is the flood of ecstasy and realization? How do we know it is beyond our mind? It is only because of this mind, we understand or feel isnt it? Many a times, I have felt that even if we dont breathe, we exist, your brain keeps working, a different feeling that cannot be explained, something that is very light, a feeling of floating in the air...is that our life energies? Is that self-realization? Can you please throw some light on this thought?

great....Thank you sir....

Namaste Sadhguru!

"YOU GOT TO DIE".Yes i died in bsp and was born again new .Life has never been the  same.i'm  not perfect but am still working on myself.Now this moment i realise all what u said..sadhguru ....... but, It's not easy to live in society in awakened state as everything functions on divisions between humans.THANKS a million sadhguru for hanging on and creating a wave of change in the world.(all the same please don't let your followers be hateful over temple demolitions.let the past be gone and let the new world of love dawn.)

Real problem is that people do not want to die. They just want something that expands, add something to their present status of personality and that is ! ! ! !    I, ME, - - - -EGO.

Thank you Sadhguru for the reminder. Feel so lucky to have found you..... Gratitude

In the presence of theeI am an absenceIn my absence is blissIn the presence of thee is blissBurn my presence or existenceFor thou alone shall prevail (or) Transcend me to the place where thou and I shall not exist.Cannot bear with your play anymoreA perfectly balanced play where anything is possible and nothing is impossible.For having tasted life in your presence my presence is intolerableBurn my existence forMay your presence alone prevail,Blissfulness alone prevail.Shiva shambo shiva shambo shiva shambo

Is it as simple as waking up? Then why aren't a lot more people woken up already? I'm puzzled why Sadhguru is puzzled about it.

So profound and meaningful!!

Namaste Sadhguru! how is compromise different from killing 'myself' or 'the mind'?

ho my sadguru how to kill that me. . .

"...but, It's not easy to live in society in awakened state as everything functions on divisions between humans."
I can relate to you to some extent, because I lost my state due to the reason above (I simly didn't know I was awakened and got back into identification with external things). Still, it WAS easy to live for me because nothing really bothers you. The only slight concern is that I wished more people would be able to relate to me. Because sometimes it's like watching the blindness of beings who do not know that they are blind and you have no way of making them see it.

Literally shakes you up!

the autonomous nervous system is always autonomous and only with engineering ...the inner engineering practices and specially the kriya as its foundation ,the effects of ANS could be mitigated and alas as days go by we are on the other! side

pranams
no words to thank our sadhguru and his ...n grace

I'll tell you why, Sadhguru. You are a very lucky man because even as a "normal person"-- abnormally crippled - using your terminology:)) -- you said being happy and peaceful has never been an issue for you. Now, THAT is exact reason why you, as you said "cannot find a single reason in my intelligence as to why it is not possible".

You seem to never have known what real suffering is like. I have. And so have millions of others. Once you have known it, it is much more harder to break that shell of protection you build because of pain. This is why people are reluctant to give up their shell. It was easy for you because you had few indentifications with externalities.You just come from different experience and see the world differently.

For examle, you once said that most of the suffering in the world is not due to the struggle of good vs. evil but due to one person's belief vs. someone else's belief. I disagree. Most of the suffering in the world is due to psychological pain of devaluation of self (which usually goes back to various types of childhood traumas.) I also believe it is impossibble to break that shell before you've cleared up those wounds. This has been my experience anyway.

Literally takes you to a different plane ...