Mahabharat - A Story is a Tremendous Possibility
In this week's Spot, Sadhguru writes about the exciting preparations underway for Mahabharat. "We are gearing up for Mahabharat. In less than two weeks time, we will be putting up a major production of this epic story, and it will be held in the new Adiyogi Alayam." Sadhguru then tells us how a story is an opportunity for us to experience the depths of life.

We are gearing up for Mahabharat. In less than two weeks time, we will be putting up a major production of this epic story, and it will be held in the new Adiyogi Alayam. These programs are run in an exuberant manner; Mahabharat will be an eight-day party. Earlier, we did Vaibhav Shiva, about how Shiva taught yoga. Then we did Leela, about how Krishna taught yoga. This time we thought we would do Mahabharat. It is different from anything we normally do.

What is the significance of Mahabharat? One thing is -- as a story, it is the story. It is a story inside a story, inside a story, inside a story… it is the longest known epic on the planet, nearly ten times the length of the Iliad and the Odyssey combined. No other story has as many characters as Mahabharat, and it is not like they appear and disappear. Each one has a full life, from birth to death, so it is extremely complex. If there is any one story which gives a picture of what this human creature is, this is it. Mahabharat is not about good and bad, love and hatred, it is about all the complexities of life, every kind of emotion, every kind of human being, from the lowest to the highest. Every kind of human consciousness is represented; every level and degree of development and evolution. We will be exploring this for eight exuberant days, in a way that is relevant to one’s life. It is not just storytelling; it is an exposition of a variety of arts, dance, music and drama -- everything woven into it.

The beauty of a story is this -- if you involve yourself with a story without going through the pains of life, you can go through life. Why you sit in a theatre is, you can go through so many experiences safely. If you try to do the same things in your life, you may get battered to death. So if you go through Mahabharat, you can go through violence without being cut into pieces, which is very important. Whether you like it or not, violence is there in human societies. We better understand why it happens. If you don’t understand why it happens, it will happen because of you. Please understand this. You cannot wish away violence.

Earlier, I participated in many world peace conferences thinking they would be doing something worthwhile. I happened to be at one very significant conference where about 42 Nobel laureates were participating. I looked at these people, they were all fidgety and nervous, and I said, ‘These people are going to bring world peace?’ So when my chance to speak came, I went up and asked, ‘All of you want world peace. I appreciate the intention, but how many of you can put your hand on your heart and say that you are peaceful? Please tell me. Are you really peaceful?’ They said, ‘No.’ I said, ‘Then how are you going to make world peace happen? If you don’t know how to keep this mind peaceful, if you don’t know how to keep this one piece of life peaceful, how are you going to make the world peaceful? Is this some kind of entertainment for you or are you all just working towards a Nobel Prize?’

Peace will not happen because you wish it. Peace will happen when you understand the mechanics of violence within your mind. If you try to explore these things in your life, you would get entangled. But a story is a tremendous possibility, a space for you to explore -- you can go in and out of various things in life without getting entangled in the process. If you go to the theater or the cinema and just watch, somebody fights a war for you, somebody loves for you, somebody goes through everything for you, and you can go through everything untouched.

I have the pleasure of staying in the ashram for over a month and a half in preparation. Been a fruitful time. Writing a bunch of poems and painting a bit too. It has been a long time since a programme like this. Leela was six years ago – I am excited.

Love & Grace

Going to miss badly :(

Even though I can't attend the program, I'm excited too. Its Sadhguru's grace that we are living in his lifetime and he gives us all the tools to move on to our highest possibilities. Mahabharat is one such great possibility. Sadhguru saranam.......

We are excited too..

I have not seen anyone with a wider perception of life as does the Sadhguru. Thanks Sadhguru for making me realize the exuberance and greatness of our culture :)

Please release it in dvd !!!!

so excited about pictures soon i will participate myself with isha program

Dear Sadhguru please bless me.... I wish to participate in the event....

i wish to paticipate in mahabharath programe

I've quite impressed on Isha Activites, this is an another mile stone. I would like to paticipate. All Sadguru's words boost the Energy & Enthusiasm Levels.

mahabatha is good story and it has good values.i like sath guru

SadhGuru, u thought me the meaning of Life
how life can be lived joyfully in love
Im happy and i live to be happy i love all my secs in my life

if we don't how to make peaceful ourself,how to attain world peace? In a city, there is a rare human being which shows smiling face in a busy morning and evening time. i saw and think and we are not having inner peace and it reflects as violence in so many times in so many forms in our daily life. thank you sadhguru

Mahabharat tales heard while lying on grandparents lap and thereafter reading Rajaji's  book has remained etch in  most people's memory.The tapestry is vast and story so fantastic. Sadhguru I am sure U make it relive what happened 5000 years back

Sadhguru has exciting events lined up, each one carrying us spiritually forward and done in a manner that we enjoy it thoroughly and for this we are eternally grateful to him.

why the fives were allowed to marry a girl .  in swayamvara  sevaral other peoples would be there but why they didnot took objection . gurus why they did not took any objections . and the society how they allowed  . were the fives were not having the common secnce that one person should marry one girl . and how their mother allowed to marry five to one girl .

By reading this Article itself, it givessome kind of energy. If we attend this......:)

Thanks Sadhguru for conducting this kind of programs....>!!!!!

sadguru i would like to meet you...

A Marvelous Exposition of the folly of Mankind..Great introspection needed.

Sadguru i have some qns. and i would like to ask u sadguru

Sadhguru, your sly remark at the laureates present at the world peace summit was very tactic. I like that quality of yours where you actually strongly criticize people but it would not look as though you're criticizing them at all- a very rare quality people possess and practice today.