Fasten Your Seat Belts!
In this week's Spot, Sadhguru writes about his latest brush with fate - a near crash landing in Kerala. With an abundance of humor, Sadhguru talks about the nervous pilots, his two co-passengers, and the barrage of emergency vehicles waiting on the tarmac. As we were approaching the airport, I saw both the pilots, young pilots — both of them had gone cold and frozen. I looked at them; I sensed fear by the chemistry of it. Then I asked, ‘Something wrong?’ ‘No Sir, no Sir.’ Then I knew something was really wrong. After some time, he was still desperately trying to manually work the hydraulics. Then I knew the landing gear was not opening up. I looked around, lots of water in Kerala. So I asked him, ‘Should I wear my swimming trunks, tell me?’ He said, ‘No Sir, no Sir...' Fasten your seat belts and enjoy!

I should tell you this, probably. A little over a week ago, the plane I was travelling in almost crashed. It happened during Samyama, I was to travel in the morning for a conference in Kollam in Kerala, and return in the afternoon to make the evening session. Last year, the organizers fixed this conference for me, but on that day there was Samyama and I said, ‘No, I cannot come,’ and I called it off. So at that time only, they fixed this year’s date, ‘Sadhguru this is the date next year. We are fixing it for you. Let’s do it.’ I said, ‘Okay, next year I won’t miss it.’

Samyama was supposed to be before Shivarathri, but because of various situations, the construction situation, and for the convenience of people who come from outside the country, we postponed Mahabharat from December to February, and pushed Samyama post Mahashivarathri. So once again, the date of the conference coincided with Samyama, but I had agreed a year ago. In fact, one and half years ago. So I said, ‘I will do it, but if I drive and come back it will take two days. It’s a nine, ten hour drive. So please fly me there and get me back in the afternoon.’ The idea was to leave at four o’clock in the morning and be back by one o’clock.

We took off from Coimbatore, it was a small, little twin engine propeller aircraft, not a jet craft. A four seater, three passengers and two pilots. We flew to Trivandrum where we would have to land and drive another hour and half before we got to the conference. As we were approaching the airport, I saw both the pilots, young pilots -- both of them had gone cold and frozen. I looked at them; I sensed fear by the chemistry of it. Then I asked, ‘Something wrong?’ ‘No Sir, no Sir.’ Then I knew something was really wrong. After some time, he was still desperately trying to manually work the hydraulics. Then I knew the landing gear was not opening up. I looked around, lots of water in Kerala. So I asked him, ‘Should I wear my swimming trunks, tell me?’ He said, ‘No Sir, no Sir,’ and I watched him work the hydraulics desperately; no result, obviously.

There was a very important person travelling with me and also Kumar. They were discussing something, and Kumar doesn’t like to wear a seat belt. After all, it is a private plane, nobody to insist you must wear a seat belt. Then I told Kumar and the other person, ‘Please tighten your seat belts, really, so that you’re glued to the seat. Wearing a seat belt is not a formality today, it’s a real thing.’ So we all tightened up.

The problem with me is, if there is an emergency it excites me, and with a big smile I am telling them, ‘The landing gear is not working.’ I said, ‘The best thing is to land in the back waters, but the pilot will not listen to us. He will listen only to the ATC, the Air Traffic Control. They are insisting that we land on the tarmac without the wheels. It is a little plane, the moment it hits the tarmac it will go…It will tear up like paper.’ Then I told them, ‘The left wheel has not opened up; the right one has opened up. Now the pilot’s problem is he cannot close the right one if he wants to. The hydraulics have failed; he cannot open the left one, he cannot close the right one.’

See…it was a little plane, if the pilot tries to go on one wheel, the first thing is the left wing engine will hit the ground, the engine will fly off. If it flies off, we don’t care. If it flies in, we will really get a roaring hit. And anyway, the plane cannot land at a lesser speed. The lowest speed it can land at is ninety kilometers, the average is ninety to hundred and ten kilometers. ‘It’s a little plane, it’s going to break up.’ I said, ‘Hang on to your seats. See if you can slide on the seat; otherwise, if you roll to the right side, the right hand will go first. If you roll to the left side, the left hand will go first. One thing is, make sure your legs are up so that you will walk. Maybe you won’t write. You will walk.’

I was thinking whether to go on the right side or left side, right hand means I can’t write, I can’t paint. Left hand means I can’t golf. So I was just thinking, maybe right hand is better. But not everyone understood that it was a real emergency. So I pointed down and said, ‘See, look at that.’ Fire engines were already flashing lights, ambulances were ready, it was a full scale emergency; they stopped the air traffic, and pilots were blabbering away on their radios. Then we decided to fly low so that the ATC could see whether our wheels were down or not, because we did not know. Then the ATC said, ‘The wheels are down, but we can’t see whether it will hold up or not, whether the struts are in place or not.’

The pilots were sweating and frozen, not saying a word, so I said, ‘Won’t they allow water landing, or can’t you off-load us in the water? If you fly low, we will jump.’ We would swim, it was not such a big deal. Suppose it was the Coimbatore airport, there is no place to jump; you would have to go with the plane. But it’s Kerala, all around there is water. So I said, ‘Let’s make use of it.’ And he said, ‘No, I have to go by the ATC instruction.’

Seeing fire engines and ambulances, it sank into everyone that it is a real emergency, this is not a joke. But probably, my face was not depicting that it’s an emergency. I was very excited, something is going to happen. I said, ‘Today is not my day. So landing, crash landing, water landing -- whatever happens, maybe we won’t make it to the conference, maybe there will be injuries, but today is not my day. So, because it is not my day, maybe it is not your day.’ I was not concerned, my little finger goes off or my hand goes off, we will see. Then we landed; all these fire engines, ambulances, emergency jeeps, everything followed us on the tarmac. It landed, they braked immediately and stopped right there because they feared anytime the hydraulics will give in.

So, big excitement. By that time, we had been going round and round the airport for one hour. Our meditators had SMSed each other, ‘Sadhguru is going to crash.’ A big crowd gathered, crying. Then we went to the conference. The conference organizer was crying because they sent the airplane. Then we get into the lift…and the lift got stuck. We got off the lift and climbed up the stairs and the conference went great, it was a very important conference.

We finished and then we found that this plane was not ready to fly because they couldn’t fix it. So they called another little airplane, which is a jet craft. We came and sat in it, and as soon as we sat down, Kumar wore the seat belt. So I am looking out of the window, some fool is filling up aviation fuel on the wing tip. On the wing, there is an opening on both wings, an auxiliary tank and the regular tank. He is filling up the main tank first. I am watching him. After some time, he did something and this aviation fuel is spraying like a fountain. Almost fifty to hundred liters of fuel all over the place, spraying over the airplane, on my window. Then I looked and said, ‘Kumar, take off your seat belt. Anytime, we may have to run.’

Then that guy finishes it and the pilot gets excited, hopping mad all over the place. He calls the ATC and again they come, screaming sirens. If you fire the engine, the whole place will go up in flames. Then ten people pushed the airplane half a kilometer away, then wiped the plane clean of all the fuel, then they start the engines and I came back for Samyama by evening.

See, this is my problem. Most serious things, if I tell people with a smile on my face, they don’t understand it is serious. Whether it is about a crash landing or enlightenment, they don’t get it. You have to cry; then they will understand it is serious. But I don’t cry out of fear or pain, I cry out of joy. I can’t cry when things are serious. When things are serious, somewhere within me, it all gets so hilarious because the most amazing thing upon this planet is -- people go about as if they are eternal.

Miss Fate did her best but her level of efficiency is not good enough to get me on a day like this. I’ve miles to go before I sleep…

Love & Grace

A meet of fate and decider : But holding the breath : Not again  - I have not enlightened to take it.

Wow...Sadhguru, you are the greatest Storyteller of all time...under such dire situations your calmness stands true like a mother because we have to stay straightfaced when all else is falling apart...in total laughter at the edge of my seat all I can think of is...just laugh, otherwise you will surely cry...many times I've experienced this with my own children and they are very grown and parents themselves. I am sooo glad you are the driver of the Bus,Planes and Trains...we are in Great Hands! Soooo glad Miss Fate missed her day!

oh boy!
i am just speechless!
Can visualize Sadhguru all smiles while telling this incident but the thought that what if Miss Fate would have won shivers me down. all teary thinking about it...

Please do win everytime by Miss Fate.

Pranam.

thrilling experience...

ಪ್ರಿಯ  ಅಪ್ಪ ಮತ್ತು ಗುರು ಜಿ ,  Promise something was disturbing me about your travel in my dreams last week .. i have started praying more for you ...
அருட்காப்பு அருட் பேராற்றல்இரவும்
பகலும்,எல்லா நேரங்கலிலும்,எல்லா இடங்கலிலும்,எல்லா
தொழில்களிலும்,உறுதுணையாகவும்,பாதுகாப்பாகவும்,வழி நடத்துவதாகவும்அமையுமாக!
வாழ்க வளமுடன்! சங்கல்பம் அருட்பேராற்றல் கருணையினால்உடல் நலம்,நீள்
ஆயுள்,நிறை செல்வம்,உயர் புகழ்,மெய்ஞ்ஞானம் ஓங்கி வாழ்வேன்!

Man! What a tale! People need to be more careful with machines and lives! Isha has to take more precautions too..

Sadhguru ji, for decades one roamed this planet by all means possible, sea, air, land, river and even the internet now, but this essay by you, brings out the value of today like nothing else has done before. Thank you for showing the light.

That's hilarious ... the number one thing that attracted me to you in the first place was your sense of humor, your joy!

only u can smile like this dear sadhguru.this week spot.. i feel like reading a thriller

Pranaam to Sadhguru... As you say it gives us more confidence to live when we face the toughest part of our life with a smile... Love you and we need you Sadhguru...

I was part of the samyama and could somehow feel that there is something wrong with Sadhguru, So great that sadhguru pulled it off with his super efficient presence, wow master at work in real time !!!!

u need to laugh ur stomach out when u die....DEATH gets away...ppl especially ladies plss learn from Sadhguru...!!
The highlight was whn Miss Fate ws over ruled...

Couldn't stop laughing in between the wide-eyed excitement of the entire happening. Only you write such an incident in this way. You taught us so many things in this post and you revealed so much in the last two lines. Thank you so much. Pranams to you Sadhguru.

Wonderful narration teaching of Sadhguru in his usual way, as told by sadhguru, experience to the fullest and even to stay aware during the tough situations

Pranams Sadhguru

Sadhguru,
               Namaskaram, with palpitation I finished reading this week's spot. Thank God you are safe. You have miles to go before you sleep but we have promises to keep. Always  at your foot steps, Yours, Indirapriya.

That's my guru!

Amazing experiance....

To be unfazed after such a near miss fate/crash experience is a quality that can only be attributed to Sadhguru and His level of acceptance in any situation. He can truly walk the talk. I was glad to see him with a small isha crowd at trivandrum airport on that fateful morning and we had absolutely no idea of the drama being enacted in the sky above us. When we saw Him, it was just one big compassionate welcome smile and not of one who nearly missed a crash landing. In fact most of us got to know about this only when we read e-mails on it weeks after the incident.
Pranams

My Master Knows Everything! People get afraid to this event. Read this one twice, he reads plane also not pilot mind.. I bow down..

Sadhguru, so glad you are okay!  Thank you Sadhguru! Who am I to say... But please take care!

something like 7am arivu?

Sadhguru....Just love you for what you are...My Guru!!!!!!! I feel so proud that I was initiated by you..I know you puncture my ego so often and at every step...but this pride about you is something that I just cannot resist...please let this be..this is my most precious possession so far!! Please let this be...Namaskaram...

plz sadhguru dont use big words.....this world need u....

Wow..no words to say...sampo..

Sadhguru please get you helicopter fast! No more of these flights in suicidal propeller aircrafts.

Sadhguru,,,,you have told us before, that if u crash, you would  do that at a greater speed. so when you asked the pilot to slow down, i could guess, u have plans to fix it and make it to Samyama.  Creator cannot be destroyed, unless He himself desires so.  Sadhguru, you are a wonder.

Sri Sadhguru,

You are not fear about anything... But we are living in fear.
your smile is the only hope for us. Please smile always.

with love and affection.
B.Shakthivel

Sadguru you are safe that is all we want
take care all you people who arrange visits of our beloved Sadguru
any little threat like this is really hard on our hearts
we love you Sadguru
take care not only about us  but more of yourself
for
we are no more ourselfs
 but you
kanaka

Pranams Sadhguru,

We cannot imagine a world without you; and we don't want to live in that world too. You have millions of devotees with you, please never take such a adventure. This world needs you.

Arivu

Sadhguru,
              I was there at the airport to see you. In the evening while speaking to the mediators , U went on with your astringent ,hilarious jokes one by one. Though a few were aimed at me , I secretly cherish those moments which i still cannot believe really happened. As a parting sentence U said your plane nearly crashed . After U left it was only the emotion in that sentence that lingered in my mind till I read this spot of yours . Its consoling to hear U say that U have miles to go . I pray and hope that everyone will get to experience a moment with U ,either seeing u or simply  visualising  U.

Dr . Rita Zarina
                                                                                        Trivandrum

Sathguru, I couldn't imagine this. sathguru you have miles to go..

Pranam Sadhguru!
So thankful to Almighty that you are Safe and Sound......Please be like this always.
We all love you so much and need you much more than anyone else.
I had goosebumps while reading the passage though I knew for sure that nothing untoward would happen with you and those with you.
Regards from the bottom of my heart,
Shikha

Shambho!!!
Sadhguru, Its the grace of Shiva on us that you are alive.... and this grace continues...

Namaskaaram Sadhguru!....what to tell !!!....even I am here with sweating n frozen, while reading your thriller spot! And how the pilots might be with out that !...At the end...I too smiled with my uncontrollable tears,my dear Guru!

Not only Miss Fate, no one can break your miles to go..Dear Self !

Anbudan,
Sudha

Pranam Sadhguru,
                             Like your yoga, your wrings also touches me a lot. But this time,
i was in the state of so many expressions. (Interest, shock,relax,pray,shock,
Joy).  You only possible. (shiva sambo)

Sadhguru....WOW!

OMG.. .that's tragic situation made in to comedy!!!. I had to laugh ! ! Sadhguru: "
 I can't believe it!! ... hahhahah

Love Sadhguruji!

This is called victory! More than anything in the world, this should be called as victory!!!!

world needs sensible people :)

THRILLED, EXCITED ARE NORMAL USUAL WORDS........  WHAT KIND OF TEARS WE HAD AT THE TIME OF COMPLETION OF THE SPOT READING.........!!!!!!! TEARS GROW ON READING PRADEEP'S AND SUDHA'S COMMENTS. NO WORDS TO EXPRESS....
PRANAMS SADHGURU......... WE LOVE YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING UNDER THE SKY.

What a goose bump incident said with a smile on the face ! Possible only to Sadguru!

So Glad your around and we can still hear you, see you....!!!

The sms sent by meditators was not complete.. Instead of "Sadhguru is going to crash", it should have been "Sadhguru is going to crash the all the plans of Miss Fate".....Nice lines n enjoyed, dear Pradeep!

Wonderful...!

Only you can chuckle in a pressureful situation like this Sadhguru... there was so much in out of place and you call it as excitement... you are really exciting... inhuman...

Pranam Sadhguru ! Only you can handle such situations. You know the ending so you were enjoying.

praying with tears

World needs human beings like Sadhguru

sadhguru, no word to say ....

Fate might even be trying to get Kumar or the other important person traveling with Sadhguru. It is very human for one to think that it was for oneself, but for fate every life is same.

I have immense respect for Sadhguru, so I am confused with the slight ting of self-centeredness in this article. I am sorry for questioning, but I am really seeking an answer.

looks like all the great gurus have test in their intigrity levels from adi yogi to krishna to sadguru

When Grace is there Fate surrenders

Pranams Sadhguru
!
           In this whole episode I could see two aspects of Sadhguru.At the first instance He is none other than the child Krishna....very obediently fastening the seat belt just as Krishna allowed Himself to be tied by a rope by his mother Yashoda, knowing fully well the whole situation but to the satisfaction of the young pilots and enjoying the ignorance of the pilots.(Just as Krishna enjoyed the ignorance of His mother Yashoda) In the second instance i am reminded of Lord Shiva who when the situation demands will go a step further and set right the situation defying all the efforts of Ms.Fate !

That is Sadhguru !

oh my sadhguru... how fortunate to get you as our guru....

Thank you Lord Shiva ! Thank you for averting the accident and giving back Sadhguru to us,hale and healthy ! Shiva, we need Him more than YOU ! Is it not true ?!!!

my first sadhguru's blog.Worth every word. :)Miss fate...isnt your day.With people like us..you and me....fate has no level of efficiency.Your grace is effective.Miss Fate maybe efficient.

I was one of the participant in that Samyama and we know this event from him directly. It teaches how to handle situations in life. Whether it is hell or heaven, crash landing or enlightenment :-)

Pranam Sadhguru

Sadhguru........it may be another day for you. But by reading this, I got shocked.This was an incident happened a week back and when reading everyone is safe. But I am imagining the mental agaony of the meditators during that time.

I am sure, nothing will happen to you as you are not a normal human being like us.you have the choice to select everything.

But my humble request is don't put us in this kind of situation. We may not withstand.

Shambooo.................... Pranams

No words to explain the feeling..Sadhguru pls guide us of how to ride over situations like these with commmonsense and awareness

Awesome!!! You are simply amazing.......That's why you are SADGURU...

You are the great HOPE for many many people like us.So Miss .Fate can not do anything to you.She would have accepted her defeat.

Sadhguru,

You are super cool as always. I am very thrilled and excited. The comment on efficiency of Ms. Fate was terrrific. Most thrilling story and I was sitting at the edge of my seat through out. (like as if I was travelling in the little plane).  The sms sent by meditators was not complete.. Instead of "Sadhguru is going to crash", it should have been "Sadhguru is going to crash the all the plans of Miss Fate".

Love and Pranams,

Pradeep

Everyone's end is already written by God. There is no end to the service. It continues when the soul takes a new body. Only thing is the time difference and missing the great souls in our life time. Thats our fate.

Namaskaram Sadhguru, I wish and pray that you get my life too. May you live for ages to come. Your devotees need you. May you never come across any such incidents ever. Best wishes.

Awesome post Sadhguru!! Love you...

No one wants to click on "like" cos im not sure it is LIKEABLE NEWS !! But seeing how Sadhguru was as equanimous in this extreme situation is super likeable!!!!

Is it worth the risk? I know one will go only when the time has come... is it something we call upon ourselves... should I say a prayer and I don't know one except close my eyes and hope!

No Words....Spell bound!

Sadhguru! You are the HOPE for many people like  us.Miss.Fate would have been disappointed. She can not do anything.

love you sadguru !

Hahahahahah. It sounds funny....... hahahahhaha

I never laughed so much reading his blog posts :)

For some strange reason, i can have a connect with the situiation, as many a times during adversities i remain cool, and this makes the people around me crazy.. It happened to me several times, and the recent one is when I got my hand broken and was explaining to my wife on how to get it fixed as I failed to get a medical insurance we did it all by ourselves by using commercial plaster of paris and gauze fabric. My wife and friends really did not understand the severity or were just confused, until they saw the x-ray, when we came back to India.

I always find the most exiting and unforgettable moments in our life are when we face a real adversity. It is better to enjoy it rather than scream and panic.

As usual Sadhguru is amazing.. and made it amazing for us by the way he narrated the incident.

Jai Sadguru ji,
                   It is really so frightening to learn all about what happened you as we love you very much and we have to learn much more from you and get your blessings.We need you to change this world and show the right path to humanity.

Before You all the worldly things and beings always fails..... Shambo

oh sadhguru i really exited

Sadhguru's great words...THIS MOMENT IS INEVITABLE.......so sadhguru taught to us to accept all the situtations in full awareness.

Thank you for this teaching, dear Sadhguru... It contains so much... Giving me goosepimples to feel how you sooo fully are... Sensing once more how you offer yourself completely... ATC- please see... Okay, they missed seeing you all walking on the water... so you tiptoe-danced Kalaripatti airport touchdown... Lady Destiny Cosmos Creator and our hearts all taken together may be a devotee-parachutee... for thee...
Let´s celebrate life... Sandra from Naumburg/ Saale, Germany

Amazing and astounding. Sadhguru has taught us another lesson on Life and its fragileness.  What a great sense of humour.  I was chuckling all thru the article. Another miracle by Sadhguru.  Thank you Sadhguru.

Sadhguru,

While eagerly waiting to see you, at the  area for visitors outside the arrival lounge, got a call from inside that something happened, plane had hit the runway, fire engines, police all are going there.....the words didn't hit me.   I didn't feel any anxiety about sadhguru. May be your words hit me already " I'll walk to my grave". Or the strong belief that you are sure to go all the miles you have to go and will take us also where we are to go.

Meeting you again in the evening  in a very informal way, sitting in front of you like small kid, really great moments.

It is true.." For all who are willing, you are  available  in ways beyond our logical
understanding" PranamsIndira

thrilling experience...

What to say..... i have no words to say but cry.. sadhguru is not a superhuman, very much human.. to be frank i many times dreamt of the situation like this... like somebody flying with sadhguru how safe the co- passenger.. but it was happen to sadhguru himself.. i felt i undergone bavaspandhana once again..
what i want to say is.. the people around him, be more cautious,( i know u was..!) take extra effort to avoid this kind of situation..but yes, we know sadhguru wont listen us asusual...!!!

Oh God, Sadhguru is with us.  I know for sure, Sadhguru is creator himself, under whose command the five elements work.  What if a plane engine or hydraulics dont work, he can fix anything with his presence.

oh sadhguru i really exited