Shiva’s Ganas – Demented or Celestial?

Sadhguru looks at the story of Shiva’s companions, the ganas, and their origins.
Shiva's Ganas - Demented or Celestial?

Read in Telugu: శివుని గణాలు…

Sadhguru: In the yogic lore, the ganas are all Shiva’s friends. They were the ones who were always around him. Though he had disciples, a wife and many other admirers, his private company was always ganas. Ganas are described as distorted, demented beings. It is said that they had limbs without bones coming out of odd parts of their bodies, so they are described as distorted and demented beings. They were just different from who we are.

Why could they be so different? This may be an aspect of life that is a little hard to digest now. See, Shiva himself has always been described as a yakshaswaroopa. Yaksha means a celestial being. A celestial being means someone who came from elsewhere. Somewhere over 15,000 years ago, Shiva arrived at Manasarovar, which is a lake in Tibet. It is one of the remnants of the Tethys Sea, which is considered as a crucible of human civilizations. Today, it is at almost 15,000 feet above mean sea level, but it is actually an ocean which has moved up and become a lake now.

The ganas were the ones that Shiva was really close with.

The ganas, Shiva’s friends, were not like human beings, and it is clearly said that they never spoke any of the human languages. They spoke in utter cacophony. When Shiva and his friends communicated, they spoke a language that nobody understood, so human beings described it as total, chaotic cacophony. But the ganas were the ones that he was really close with.

And you know the story of Ganapati losing his head. When Shiva came and this boy tried to stop him, Shiva took off his head. When Parvati became distraught and asked Shiva to replace the head, he took off the head of some other creature and put it on the child. This other creature is described as an elephant. But what you need to understand is, nobody called him Gajapati (Lord of Elephants). We always called him Ganapati (Lord of Ganas). Shiva took off the head of one of his friends and put it on the boy.

The ganas had limbs without bones, so this boy became Ganapati. Because in this culture, a limb without bones meant an elephant trunk, so artists made it into an elephant – but actually, he is not Gajapati, he is Ganapati. He got the head of one of the ganas, and Shiva made him leader of the ganas.

Editor’s Note: Download “Shiva: Ultimate Outlaw”, for more of Sadhguru’s insights on Shiva.

Shiva: Ultimate Outlaw

It is spiritual war, no blood she'd

All things are ok,only you should realise yourself,pranam

Sadhguru seems to approve of certain attributes that I find wrong and that really bothers me.

Shiva is bodiless (neutral) shanker has a body. In that body he become body less by following the parmathma and become the manifastattion of the bodyless.

I know I am posting question here since my guru knows to transact with eternal thing sure when time comes my questions will be answered in a moment,

Namaskaram Sadhguru, as you were narrating the story forgive us, but it seems like there was bhootbangala 15000 years ago and there was bhutnath , so how did humans connected with him , how could anybody go to such places in practical I mean , these times how I mean it seems impossible.

To Amir. They could have been aliens in that different from the human form as we know it. The West today is searching for aliens, how can we discount it? If you study the Ramayana and Mahabarat, the supernatural powers, the rockets, the silent transport used to kidnap Sita such as a spaceship, I think there is more to this than we can possibly understand. We need to uncover and make this public for people to understand. There is more to Hinduism and unfortunately the truth is not told, instead the world makes fun of the many headed and armed deities.

They are (the good and bad become omnipresent ).
Paramathma never become omnipresent. He is ekvyapi. Sarva vyapi is Maya ravan.

Its a mystery and that's why humans described it as "He came out of nowhere". No one knew where he came from or how he came.

Ughh sadhguru always make simple stories difficult to understand and difficult >simple lol ?

The word Shiva means
Shi - that
Va - which is not.
Shiva means space, in which everything exeeds.....
Even when everything destroys.... space ( Shiva ) remains as such, which has no end.....
And Shiva doesn't need ur devotion....
He is like sun..
Even though u pray sun or not it doesn't matter, it will give u light....
As such he doesn't need ur devotion.....
Hindus never pray Shiva by fear..
If u had known the story of kannapa nayanar, then u would have never commented in such a way....

Namaskaram, it seems really amazing that we are still considered as seekers of shiva wow it still like something

The point is, Shiva is actually called "nothingness" or "everything" which is the basis of existence. Just because, this guy who came to manasarovar 15k years ago got enlightened we call him Shiva. Shiva is nothing but creator. You are Shiva, I am Shiva.

Now come to the point why do we need to worship the alien, just because he is so powerful. No, The main reason is that he gave the whole world how to attain enlightenment through the ways of yoga. He is the guru for yogas or Adhiyogi. Is there anything wrong in worshiping the teacher who gave you the knowledge.??

Don't misinterpret Hinduism and yogic culture. Hinduism emerged from yogic culture. I guess, Isha follows yogic culture but not Hinduism.

He wasn't an alien ,you aren't understanding the main context of what is written ,Shiva isn't partial in his ways ,he only looks at the personality of his bhakts regardless of their appearance or behaviour ,it doesn't matter if the language is bad or everything is complete chaos ,it's only the heart that matters and I don't know why sadguru said Shiva took the head of the gana to place on Ganesha ,maybe his bhakt had died as Shiva is said to reside in samshana ,once the soul leaves the body ,the mortal body is useless ,so Shiva put the body to the proper use and idol worship isn't important ,it's just a source where people can concentrate ,according to Hinduism God resides everywhere so keeping a separate place for worship of God isn't wrong ,even Muslims who broke idols pray in Mecca where a stone meteorite is placed ,it all depends on the faith where you are at peace ,some are peaceful without believing in anything ,some are peaceful with worshipping Shiva ,some are peaceful with worshipping Allah or Jesus ,at last it all comes down to your own self and even Hinduism has the concept of karma where your own actions decide your fate ,no amount of praying to any God would be of use if your karma or actions weren't right ..

That's fair enough. Thanks for the reply. When I was young in Iran, I went to school as a Muslim. Though I was never religious, I was always spiritual in a way. I think there are many things wrong with Islam but the Abrahimic religions involve Abraham (I think) going to where Mecca is today and breaking the idols people worshipped and brought gifts too. What is wrong is to worship them as God. As the most powerful thing in the universe. As the creator. They were probably consecrated but uneducated people thought the statue itself is an idiol to be worshipped. In that sense, I am against worshipping a statue only. There was a great lesson when he broke the statues. Nothing happened. People were afraid of all kinds of curses and were basically slaves and fearful of the idiols. This is why I am having difficulty coming into terms with all this. A person who brought Yoga to the world, a person who is thinking of liberation and compassion for all. That is definitely worth worshiping. I am sure due to cultural differences, I am not understanding some things in the proper perspective. Maybe you aren't as well. The grace flowing from Sadhguru is defninitely something to worship and thank the world everyday. There is a persian song that says, you are the goal, Kaaba and idols are excuses. Whether in the bar or in the mosque, you are the goal. In a way whether it is Kaaba or Jerusulem or any statue or anything, it is a kind of idol. Even the idea of god is an idol. The profits, and sages and saints, all of them are kind of idols. It is not a bad thing but they have to be understood in the right perspective. Anyway, there is alot of misunderstanding between certain groups of spirtualists. The religious see idol worshipping as wrong. The hindus and yogis might have difficulty saying how they don't think of the idols as the creator itself. I hope one day I can experience what Shiva is. Thanks for your response.

There is a story for why Shiva cut off ganesha's head ,it says Ganesha had grown too proud of his power's ,he was supposed to be the remover of obstacles but with such great power's he was about to go dark ,cutting of the head also resembles removal of pride ,he later brought him back to life and Ganesha learnt his lessons so it was good in the end ,the problem with Hinduism is there are various stories told but noone understands the meaning to it ,Shiva is indeed compassionate ,there is even a story where a little innocent kid out without knowing anything kept hitting stones on Shiva but none touched him ,when his mother came she was shocked but Shiva did nothing ,he was instead happy seeing the child happy and went his way ,this doesn't mean Shiva teaches kids to hit stones or anything ,again the context here is his mercy ,he is the only God who has been insulted , cursed and many things were done but he did not retaliate ,he knew the nature of people and in the end still helped the people if their karma was good ...

Celestial beings are every where. Angels, Yakshas, Gandharvas can be found every where, we dont need to go any where. Certain people because of their past of their past karmas will enjoy these states.

To be honest, I was in the same state as you. I was born Hindu, but wanted to be an Atheist due to lot of non-senses practiced. I started following Sadhguru one year back and now I am into spirituality and lot of Hinduism non-senses started making senses yet I don't like to worship gods as idols. When I started seeing sadhguru talking about Shiva, I had the same feeling as you and found out the proper solution. But even sometimes he will be talking about Krishna and Kali. That thing was choking in my head, but if you think deeper he might have conveyed Krishna and other goddess as a perspective of our own nature. he also gave explanation as why we need gods in form of humans which would connect us much more emotionally.
The only thing he often says is: Don't believe there is no god, Don't believe there is god. Search in yourself.
That is where I started. He is awesome.

I appreciate your response. My number one priority is finding truth. It is not Allah, it is not Shiva, it is not Jesus. Or maybe it is. I don't have any for sure decided opinion about anything so I can openly talk about such things. I will read about kannapa nayanar when I get a chance. Having said that, you seem to be a Hindu or Hindu oriented. I have to tell you, as a person with no real set religion (though born Muslim), I have visited and spoken people of every religion and they all have convincing arguments about their faiths and beliefs in which they choose to highlight what supports their thesis and completely ignore what doesn't. It is also the same with Hindus.

Namaskaram, of all Sadhguru start to teach with what is there within us something like this , " The creator is within you ; What are you thinking about ? The very source of creation is throbbing within you . What are you thinking about is more important than this ?" - Sadhguru

When it comes down to it, it is the surrender of will to nature that will make things happen. Religions used God or Gods. By worshiping them, you are surrendering your free will and I think that will eventually lead to liberation. Having said that, most of them fool you into thinking that is not what is going to happen with their particular kind of spirituality and poke fun of other religions that do such things, later to realize they do the same thing. Either way, you have to die to be born again.

How do you know Shiva wasn't an Alien? Did you speak with him? How do you know that it was a meteorite that hit the Earth where Mecca is? Where you there? First of all, what are the chances of a meteor hitting the same spot where there were idols broken? With all respect to all people of all faiths, none of this matters to me. I am just trying to find truth and keeping my mind critical is important. I understand your pride towards India and Hinduism and I am also very proud of your country and culture but this is the whole problem. If everyone was so, then I would be defending Islam, and someone else would be defending Christianity. It is just identification and defensiveness. Has nothing to do with truth. It is not being a seeker. I think it is a more difficult task in this world to be a seeker than be of a religion as you have to constantly stand your ground against anything that seems to come from people's bias. I understand my message might have come across as a little harsh but it was on purpose so that I get response from people who really know the answers. People who really know the answer to such things, would not get upset at all by what I had written. There is no reason to. They would just explain and try to prove their case. Truth doesn't need any defending.

then how actually ganpati looks like sir??

yes I know. I agree. I actually do think there are aliens. Maybe Shiva was also an alien. Nonetheless the point is, there is a difference between a beautiful God, a person of grace, compassion and love who takes care of you than a God that easily cuts people's heads off. I am not for or against Shiva or anyone or anything. I come from a part of the world that dictatorship exists. Forexample, the muslims came and killed and raped and got us (persians) to submit to their religion and now they have become saints and holy men people worship. This I cannot ever tolerate. When someone is being talked about who is acting dictatorial, yet people praise them, there is worship due to fearful slavery as supposed to devotion. I am sure that's not how it is like. But it is a very important thing for me.

@ Sushant : why are we always looking for a form, this is how idols are created. Bcoz we want to give form to everything and that allows us to concentrate and build our faith and with time original story is forgotten and be blindly follow what our fore fathers are doing without questioning. No one remembers what happened 15000 yrs ago, everything is more like Chinese whisper, nice to be inquisitive and ask questions at least we will be rational and not fight inn the name of religion.

it was wonderful knowing about ganas thank u very much

I agree. I also find a lot of things hard to believe and blind faith is dangerous. If perhaps the Muslims questioned their faith a bit more they might be more open minded. Life is about exploration and experiences and having an open debate.

I like the idea of shiva being celestial being

Sometimes this stuff is freaky man. Shiva doesn't seem to be a good or just person sometimes. It feels we have to worship because he is powerful and can take anyone's head off or destroy their existence. It seems evil and the demented beings seem weird as well. Makes you think Shiva is an alien. No matter how powerful, an Alien is not the creator. Whether it is Shiva or Krishna, I hear in these stories, stamp of power, manipulation, exploitation. There seems to be a bowing down to a greater power due to fear. Worship out of slave like existence. This is not the spirituality I was thinking of. What is up with all this? Am I doing the right thing with Isha? I mean no disrepsect to anyone. I just don't get it.

Those people who blindly believe in Islam or whatever else, are neither religous or spiritual. They are idiots who are exploited and also exploit others. Having said that, I know several devote muslims who are very smart and open minded people and also believe in Islam. That shows me there is alot more to it than often seen. In today's world because of terrorism and whatever else, the Western propaganda machine has made a certain face on them. Just like they call hindus turban wearing whatever. In ignorance and arrogance, they are on top of the world right now. Most of the Islam terrorism of today is related to politics.

Thanks man

That story has a lot of resonance. Thanks.