Today’s recipe is a favorite snack/ breakfast item in many Indian households – Misal Pav!
Ingredients (Serves 4–5)
For the Usal (curry)
Moth (matki) bean sprouts (or mung bean sprouts) : 1/2 cup
Medium potatoes (cubed) : 2
Chopped cabbage : 1/2 cup
Ginger paste : 1 tsp
Seedless tamarind (soaked in ½ cup water) : 1.5 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tsp
Cumin powder : 1 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Curry leaves : 10 – 12
Oil : 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
For the Toppings and Sides
Pav (soft bread rolls) : 8 – 10
Cabbage (finely chopped) : 1 cup
Tomatoes (chopped) : 1 cup
Savory snack mixture (like farsan or sev) : 2 cups
Lime (quartered) : 1
Coriander leaves (chopped) : 1/2 cup
Curd/yogurt (beaten; optional) : 1/2 cup
Preparation of Usal
- Rinse the sprouts and pressure cook them with cubed potatoes, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, then the cumin and sauté for a minute.
- Add the chopped cabbage and sauté until translucent, add the curry leaves and ginger paste. Stir. Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, and goda masala. Stir and then add the drained tamarind pulp. Sauté until the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away.
- Add the cooked and drained sprouts and potatoes. Add 1 cup of water. Season with salt and simmer the usal for 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame, stirring occasionally.
To Serve the Misal Pav
- Ladle the steaming hot usal in 4 to 5 bowls.
- Sprinkle the chopped cabbage, then the tomatoes over the usal and garnish with the coriander leaves.
- Drizzle some lime juice on top and then top it with the savory snack mixture.
- Serve the pav bread rolls and optional curd on the side.
Goda Masala Recipe
Coriander seeds : 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds : 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tbsp
Poppy seeds : 1/2 tbsp
Cinnamon : 1 inch
Black cardamom (only seeds) : 1
Green cardamoms : 2
Small Indian bay leaves : 2
Star anise (without seeds) : 1
Desiccated coconut : 3 tbsp
Black stone flower : 1 tbsp
Black pepper : 1/2 tsp
Cloves : 5
Dry red chilies (optional) : 2-3
Oil : 2 tsp
- Roast all the ingredients with the oil, let them cool, and then grind them to a powder.