Millet Stuffed Bell Peppers
Packed with protein, vegetables and millet, these stuffed bell peppers serve as a wholesome, healthy snack.
Customize the recipe as you wish by substituting your own favorite vegetables and locally available millets or grains. We have used the foxtail millet that was once widely used in Tamil Nadu. You can replace this with any other millets like sorghum (jowar), pearl (bajra) and proso (barri), or go for some of the exotic grains like bulgur, kasha (buckwheat groats) or quinoa.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 60 min
Yield: 6 servings
Capsicum/Bell peppers : 6 (2 green, 2 red and 2 yellow bell peppers will look good!)
Foxtail millet (Kangni/Navane/Thinai/Korralu) : 3 cups cooked
Black chana : ½ cup cooked
Tomatoes : ½ cup chopped
Green Beans : ½ cup chopped
Mozzarella/Feta/Pepper Jack cheese : ¾ cup
Olive oil : 3 tbsp
Lemon juice : 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves : 3 tbsp chopped
Cumin powder : 1 tsp
Black pepper powder : 2 tsp
Salt : 2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 176°C/350°F.
- Cut the tops of the bell peppers; take out the white stem part and the seeds.
- In a large bowl add all the other ingredients and toss lightly once or twice.
- Scoop the above filling into each of the bell peppers.
- Sprinkle with cheese on top.
- Place in a baking sheet and bake until the peppers are tender, for about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Enjoy! Don’t forget to send us your own version of stuffed bell peppers.