Baked Vegetable Stack
This baked vegetable stack recipe with thinly layered vegetables and herbal seasoning is a delicious and nutritious alternative to serving the same old vegetable dishes.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 40 min
Sweet potatoes : 200g
Peeled pumpkin 250g
Yellow capsicum : 1 medium sized
Green capsicum : 1 medium sized
Fresh peas : 100g
Mixed Italian herbs (Basil, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme) : 1 teaspoon
Basil leaves, roughly chopped (optional) : 10 fresh
Olive oil : 4 tablespoons
Lime : 1/2
Freshly, coarsely ground black pepper : 1 teaspoon
Salt (or to taste) : 1 teaspoon
- Peel and cut the pumpkin and sweet potato into 2-inch-long pieces. Cut these pieces into thin, vertical slices with a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler. You could also use a food processor to slice the firm vegetables as thin as possible. Keep each vegetable in a separate bowl.
- Chop the capsicums lengthwise to make thin, long slices. Keep yellow and green capsicum in separate bowls.
- Mix the dried Italian herbs, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat the vegetable slices in the 4 separate bowls with 1 tablespoon of olive oil each. Sprinkle the Italian condiment mix and the optional chopped basil leaves on the vegetable slices in each bowl.
- Spread a single layer of the yellow capsicum slices in a glass, ceramic, or aluminium baking dish, and top it with a layer each of pumpkin slices, green capsicum, and sweet potato slices (arrange slightly overlapping). Repeat the stacking in the same order one more time and spread the peas as the top layer. Seal the top of the baking dish with foil.
- Heat the oven to 375°F or 190°C and bake the stack for 20 minutes. Remove the foil after 20 minutes and bake for an extra 10-12 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven. After 5 minutes, squeeze half a lime over the hot vegetable stack. Cut into 4 squares and serve hot.
And that’s it for the baked vegetable stack recipe. Hope you enjoy it!